Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thoughts on a homemade 2 into 1 Harley exhaust?

spackrackman

I am building myself an exhaust system for my 1000cc ironhead sportster. for a tidy look I was concidering going for a 2 into one system, anyone have any ideas on whether there would be a problem?

pictures below, how I was thinking of doing it.

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

Looking at that and from what I understand (not a lot I know). You will not have a equal back pressure.

Paul

To be honest the old Harleys like the iron heads and shovels don't really like straight through pipes, contrary to what a lot of die hard hog fans like you to believe, as there is a lack of back pressure. Saying that I was running my old ironhead with slash cuts and all I did was richen up the mixture to compensate. The back cylinder will always run hotter so a shorter pipe on the back may help a little when getting rid of those hot exhaust gasses.

Lets face it, an ironhead isn't exactly a performance machine and it vibrates so much you wouldn't feel any rough running anyway......fun to ride though arn't they?! :thumbup:

Have you got in the habit of carrying a supply of bolts, spanners and loctite? I did after my first long run and the bike came home covered in string, gaffa tape and cable ties :lol:

Oh yeah and Breakingpoint in Aberdeen have broken a couple of my old ironheads and there are a load of bits still available. :thumbup:

Thanks for your tips, it came with two straight throughs anyway and it ran ok, woke the dead though. I think I will have a go at making the exhaust if nothing else I can practice my tig welding. The heat thing does concern me slightly with two firing though the last section of pipe. I have lost a lot of leg skin in the past due to hot exhausts! If my welding goes tits up I will wrap the exhaust anyway.

You still ride bikes Ecoman?

My experience is limited to watching the American Chopper telly programmes - they seem to do what you're talking about without even flinching Jonnie...

You could always fit a small heat sheild that sits just off the zorst. What diameter tube is it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Exactly Gav, orange county is to blame completely for this hacking up of what once was a perfectly good 70's sportster. Like you say they seem to knock out exhausts anyway they wish and they "seem" to run just dandy afterwards. Right where is my welder.

Thats the spirit - CRACK ON!!! This should be fun :lol: :cool:

spackrackman said:
Thanks for your tips, it came with two straight throughs anyway and it ran ok, woke the dead though. I think I will have a go at making the exhaust if nothing else I can practice my tig welding. The heat thing does concern me slightly with two firing though the last section of pipe. I have lost a lot of leg skin in the past due to hot exhausts! If my welding goes tits up I will wrap the exhaust anyway.

You still ride bikes Ecoman?

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat as the ironhead runs damn hot anyway, but as suggested a heat shield or wrap should save you from a few scars. Just make sure you check the plugs and make sure the back cylinder is not running too lean. All my old harleys had a sooty front plug and a normal rear one.

I know what you mean about loud. When my daughter was still a bump my missus used to stand outside the garage and make me gently rev the ironhead. She said it sent the little one to sleep with the vibrations :lol: ...thats my girl :thumbup:

Yeah I still ride bikes. I just sold my last 2 so I could get my Landcruiser. But all is not lost as I have a supply of bikes that I have access to whenever I want. :thumbup: My missus is also treating me to another harley later this year...well it is my 40th this year and what better way to celebrate my mid life crisis :D

Not had much to do with harleys mate but as others have said alot do what your thinking of doing :thumbup:

As for noise,louder is better. Carnt wait to here the beast :thumbup:

karl

Back