Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Three 80's doing London to Cape Town.........NOW!!

Hi Guys&Girls,

Quick update.....

Just to let you know three of the London boys are in Egypt at the moment. We're waiting for the trucks to arrive in Alexandria before we set off for part 2 of our journey down south.

Please follow us on the web: www.goingdownsouth.co.uk or on FACEBOOK under Going Down South.

If you have any friends or contacts that you think might be of use or interest please let us know.

Special thanx to Matt and Paul for the help and advice to date and also to Julian Voelcker. Julian all is going well and no major issues to report....

We'll try and keep you posted

Andre and the rest of the GDS Team.

Alles van die beste, mense - lekker ry - en ry versigtig!!

good to you spending a bit of time in each country rather than just blasting through and saying you've been there! I'm in Uganda - will PM you my details...would be great to say hi as you come through - can show you round our planes and airfield if you like!

nice one lands!!! living the dream!!! all the best, will deffo be folowing!

Sounds like an epic trip!

My wife and I wanted to do the same in our LC, but have opted to ship it down to Namibia as we won't have the time. If you're passing through Zambia around mid July or September let me know as my wife and I will be in Livingstone for a couple weeks before heading to Angola for the month of August. We'll be back in L/stone late August though and some of September.

I work for an international missions organization called Overland Missions and we have a massive logistical base not far from Vic Falls on Rapid 14 of the Zambezi River. All the locals know us very well and can direct you if needed. If you run into any hiccups along the way, let me know. We certainly have a place for you to set up camp and work on your vehicles if needed. Not to mention you can get a spectacular view of the Zambezi.

Have a great trip!

David

And don't forget to look up Gilmour (GilGhana) Dickson in Zambia - think he's near South Liuwa somewhere ... :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you guys for the warm invitations and words of encouragement!!

We'll deffo call in and show our faces!

:D :D :D

Pictures copied (hopefully) from their first campsite in France
252g.jpg

http://www.fermevertuelle.com/journal.html#

Finally got the barge and ferry sorted!!

We'll be crossing into the Sudan on Saturday morning inshaalah!!

Hope to catch up with Paul on the way down.

Next update from Khartoum.. :thumbup:

I hope you found Mr Soly to be well, it would be advisable to take some food & also something clean to rest on if you have booked a cabin, Mr Mughdi (spelling) is very good as a local fixer & he will probably come along & find you on the ship once you have docked. Kleopatra hotel is interesting with views over the main square.

All the best Dave.

goingdownsouth said:
Finally got the barge and ferry sorted!!

We'll be crossing into the Sudan on Saturday morning inshaalah!!

Hope to catch up with Paul on the way down.

Next update from Khartoum.. :thumbup:
What the F@@KS that ????????

No swearing !!!!!

Gra.

Scott said:
goingdownsouth said:
inshaalah!!
Graham said:

Gra.
It means "God Willing".

Good luck with the trip.
So it's some religious "space man" stuff.

I just be happy if the Land Cruiser was willing, some thing you at least have control over.

OK, carry on.

Gra.

Graham said:
Scott said:
goingdownsouth said:
inshaalah!!
Graham said:

Gra.
It means "God Willing".

Good luck with the trip.
So it's some religious "space man" stuff.

I just be happy if the Land Cruiser was willing, some thing you at least have control over.

OK, carry on.

Gra.

After a trip on that boat & then waiting anxiously for the barge to arrive & dock in the right area of the lake side, you will be pleased to have received any help from any God...

Ditto that!!!!!!

Remember this bad boy.. I managed to take this while the army guys weren't looking. I don't think they want the world to know what a rattle trap that boat is!

5284e8de-fa0e-2531.jpg

Matt, I had rather hoped I had seen that Bad Boy for the last time, brings a type of dirty feeling all over me just looking at that rust bucket, if there was ever a vessel you could catch TB from, it is that one in the picture...

I think inshaalah needs a little more explaining... as was already said it means 'if God wills it'. The extreme though is that it is used by people that are doing 100KPH through a intersection with other traffic coming across and they blast though saying inshaalah!!! ie if God means us to hit the other traffic then thats ok and if we don't hit the other traffic then thats ok too!!! The problem is that it is used as an excuse to not take any personal responsibility for anything that the person does and this attitude is a lot of the reason for the terrible driving (and lot of other things) in many African countries.

Mark

Hope you guys are going strong. Word is you've reached Sudan..
Hope you got the "special letter" I sent you for the Ethiopian border ;) ;) wink wink

Back