Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tie rod ends

Lorin

Just been under the truck trying to track down my ongoing elusive knocking noise :evil: and discovered that one of the tie rod end rubbers is split and spilling it's grease. Do I have to replace the entire thing or can you just replace the rubber + repack with grease?

I am not a mechanic,
But I have replaced these on mine. Not an expensive part
Preventive maintenance if you like

Very cheap from Milners to replace the whole thing. I have just done mine and the left one was a real barsteward to get off. I eventually took it to a mechanic who got it off in 30 seconds... using a bigger hammer! Just smack the hell out of the collar and it will drop out.

I saw that on Wheeler Dealers last night - Ed China gave one on a TVR a reet clout!!!

His hint was when removing the old one, count the rotations so that when you fit the new one its back in the right place :cool: The only problem was his new ones were longer than the old ones so he had to do a wheel alignment any ways... :lol:

Gav Peter said:
His hint was when removing the old one, count the rotations so that when you fit the new one its back in the right place :cool: The only problem was his new ones were longer than the old ones so he had to do a wheel alignment any ways... :lol:

When I changed the right one myself I put some insulation tape around it to mark the position of the lock nut, then I used that to mark how far the lock nut had to be on the new one - worked perfectly. Then yesterday the mechanic tried "counting the turns" and also found out that the new one was a different length... No worries though - took it for wheel alignment (£30) and it steers better than ever now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back