Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tilt test

Now I've seen the video, there's no way I'd risk my old 80 (which is worth a fraction of your troopy) at anything like that angle.

I'd guess I've had mine in the high 20s and that was enough, in fact my missus was yelling so much, I simply had to get it more level just to shut her up. I don't think she spoke to me for the rest of the day :lol:

Why not just presume 46 degrees is safe for yours, then never go above 32? Why risk it?

It would only take a small rock on the high side, or a bit of soft on the low side to tip you, then it's too late.

Play safe Cliff, yet I admire your quest for the magic number.

However, in practice, I would want a minimum of a 10 degrees margin of safety, and 36 degrees would have my knuckles bleeding I think, even if I knew 46 was "safe".

BTW, I've seen your truck's photo on another thread. She's just beautiful (have to say that again) and I'm thinking I'd be too afraid to drive it where I take my not so old 22 year old truck.

I've seen the clips where they tilt the busses over at an alarming angle so know what's done.

:)
Talking of tilting busses . .
notice the difference between axle and body tilt.
buses.jpg

Hi Clive

Believe me I know the feeling of gripping a wheel and wondering! In Wales (couple of pics here for your info) I was at 30 degrees (not in these pics) and knuckles were white (really).

This pic is only about 15 degrees and it was 'concerning' from inside. Of course it was actually completely stable, just felt scary.

15 degrees.jpg

Of course I've added the bullbar and the roofrack since this was taken

Of course I've added the bullbar and the roofrack since this was taken

It's so lovely Cliffy, I just want to give it a hug :icon-rolleyes: :lol:

Really, everything about it is just fine.

As for wheel sizes, are the front tires the same size as the rear? The fronts look huge in comparison, must be an optical delusion if they're the same size.

I've got 33" on my 80 and I've often thought of going bigger, but I can't get 75 profiles in BFGs at the width I like. So, due to my stubbornness on the width, I'll stay with 33".

And look at the bus, admittedly it's as tall as a house, but that's only something like 35 - 38 degrees.

46 degrees? No way, nowhere near it, not on my watch :lol:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi again Clive

Thanks again for all this. I've never visited Romania, but from everything I've heard about it and seen on YT (offroad trips) it sounds amazing. I shall pencil it in as a possible trip. Always interested in trips!

Talk again soon
Cliffy

If you go on YouTube and search for my username @clivehorridge, you'll find some vids taken in and around our neck of the woods/hills.

You can also search google maps for Comarnic Prahova, or even click on my location, I suppose that's what it's for really. We're not far from the chain of ski resorts running up the Prahova valley from Sinaia to Brasov. Comarnic is about 30 minutes South of Sinaia, traffic permitting. Sinaia mountain goes up to 2,400 m above Black Sea level, so it's no molehill.

Speaking of which, when I'm forced to ride a contour off piste, I find on grass that the back end of the 80 slides before the tilt angle gets anywhere near its limit. It's a gut-wrenching sensation especially if you're high up, I bloody hate it, so it's rare that I do contours unless they're well trodden tracks.

In the wet / mud under grass it's even worse, and I never know what the best combo is, lockers, free diffs, center locked, I've tried them all, and it still slips. Only at a good angle mind, (pardon the Welsh phrasing, lived there too long :lol:) but it's most un-nerving and to be avoided, in my book.

Usually I'm on BFG MUDs offroad, so I should be getting the best grip that's going on grass, or at least close to it. Treps might do better, but I'd soon wear them out on the stones, rocks and asphalt.

I'm rambling.... Sorry. :shifty:

Hi Clive

Yes, I know what you mean about that kind of sliding. I wonder whether altering weight/load distribution would help?

Just watching your YT movies now.

I wouldn't pay 50 quid for the test because lab spec conditions don't exist in the real world , because you are intelligent articulate and cautious Cliffy i'm quite sure your truck will defy logic time and time again . Nice truck :icon-cool:

Great scenery there in Romania Clive. Very tempting. I'm also going to the TLC Series 4 in France in may.

Incidentally, here's a film of 4x4 in YT. Go to time: 6.50 and watch that LC80, it doesn't roll despite a crazy angle and sliding.

Thanks Shayne

Agreed. I can't see me paying a lot of money for that test anyway, I had figured on about £200. I can get good spotlights, or a roof tent for what they want! And as you say, it's not real life!

Cheers

Cliffy

The film of under the 80 as it's running is great. Haven't seen an view like that before. Nice

The film of under the 80 as it's running is great. Haven't seen an view like that before. Nice

Cheers!

Shame about the untreated rust though, maybe I'll get round to it one day...

Back