Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To buy or not to buy? How many KM/MI are too many....

The LC spec model can be determined by opening the glove box. There's a little badge on the front edge of the opening that says which model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me for saying it but from a practical point of view and with budget in mind it seems to me a 90 series LC beats them all .

Be careful with the Discovery 4, I've heard of two that have had to have suspension bushes done and I believe it's a £2000 or so job (not sure on this so may be prudent to find out) and is shown up by tyres scrubbing out.

There is a website somewhere about vehicle reliability. I know the newer Land Rovers are not the cheap spares trucks their earlier brothers were, but then it seems from that website they are 80% reliable compared to something seriously low for earlier Discos. Oh, add in that they are over 3 tonnes out the factory too!![emoji33] and I though my 80 was weighty!

And a timing belt change at 90k is an engine out job. How dumb is that? And definitely the reliability.... Not what they were but still not there.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I believe some of the work says 'first remove the body' [emoji15][emoji33] What!!!

Pretty much. The 120 is the vehicle to buy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With the LC4 and LC5 specs, those are UK only. In Australia they are GXL and things like that, so I suspect that in Germany they will be local spec levels - basically don't worry what the guys are saying about "if it's that level, it should have parking sensors" as that is very local market specific.

With the XC90, as the others have said the gearbox is a weakspot in the T6 and 3.2 petrols, but the D5 is fine in that regard. HOWEVER, they changed the Haldex system in about 2006 (I can't remember exactly) in all the P2x cars (so the S60, S80, V70, XC70 and XC90) so if you're going down that route make sure you get one post change.

Hope that helps, I've got feet in both camps (I drive a Toyota 4Runner and used to have a Land Cruiser, and my parents in the UK have had Volvo's for the last 40 years or so...)

With the LC4 and LC5 specs, those are UK only. In Australia they are GXL and things like that, so I suspect that in Germany they will be local spec levels - basically don't worry what the guys are saying about "if it's that level, it should have parking sensors" as that is very local market specific.

With the XC90, as the others have said the gearbox is a weakspot in the T6 and 3.2 petrols, but the D5 is fine in that regard. HOWEVER, they changed the Haldex system in about 2006 (I can't remember exactly) in all the P2x cars (so the S60, S80, V70, XC70 and XC90) so if you're going down that route make sure you get one post change.

Hope that helps, I've got feet in both camps (I drive a Toyota 4Runner and used to have a Land Cruiser, and my parents in the UK have had Volvo's for the last 40 years or so...)

as above, LC3/4/5 is a UK model designation, it will differ dependant on country of sale. The model with air suspension on the rear will probably be the highest spec available ............
Good advice above on the XC90 also, many of the earlier ones have transmission problems which results in no rear drive. Many people choose to leave it that way rather than repair.

I have a '07 LC3 (3ltr diesel) and a '10 XC90 D5. Since new the landcruiser has had regular services (by myself), injector seals changed under warrenty, 1 set of front pads, 3 sets of tyres, a few rear bulbs and a set or two of wipers.
In two years of XC90 ownership (wifes car) it has had regular services, 4no wheel bearings, tyres, a fair bit of fiddling with the rear parking brake, fault codes that need resetting and a few other bits.
Relability and maintenance costs wise its no contest (albeit the volvo isint actually bad at all).

As a family car that doesnt need to tow heavy loads or go offroad too much the volvo wins, its an extremely well thought car in terms of use of space, its deceptive how much room it has inside. Nothing comes close (bar the Q7) to the size of the boot when all 7 seats are in use, that is the primary reason we have it. Its a more refined piece of kit but it is a different machine to the LC, horses for courses ! Both of ours seem to average ~28mpg.

I'll buy another LC in the morning (if I had the money), the missus would buy another volvo at the same time.

Statistically, Voyagers are possibly the worse thing imaginable for relability, I dont rate disco's much better.

I have a 2005 120 here in France with 190,000km on the clock and have had a trouble-free 4 years of driving. I do my own maintenance and it hasn't need a single part apart from the timing belt (you don't need to take the engine out!) - Yes compared to a Disco4 it's crude but no way would I swap it even for a new one. As far as how many miles/km; I've seen a younger one advertised with 535,000km. They hold their value extremely well in France and are the 4x4 to have. Need I say more.

Back