Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tomtom on PC?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Now i'm running a toughbook in the truck it would seem sensible to run the road mapping through it too for the big trips.
Is there a PC based program? Tomtom would be nice.

this could be just what i am looking for aswell

With the right GPS, as far as I know, Garmin Mobile PC is your only option for a TomTom style interface to a PC.

Garmin had an OKish one a while back but you can't find it any more except for dodgy copies. I have a faint memory though of seeing a new Garmin PC option which looked pretty slick. I'll see if I can find it.

Matt - with something like GPSGate, you can use any cheap GPS with garmin software. It translates it so the software knows no different. Very handy and at $20 for a lifetime licence... :dance:

The software only version just neads an NMEA data stream so any GPS will do but it will only unlock on a single PC. The with GPS version unlocks to the GPS so you can move it from machine to machine. Seems like some of the tricks for moving maps from other Garmin products into MobilePC only work with the GPS version.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been looking at the Garmin Mobile PC but cannot seem to find a list of countries covered by it

Paul said:
I've been looking at the Garmin Mobile PC but cannot seem to find a list of countries covered by it
Click the 'Where to' button, then 'Addresses', then you get 'Spell country' and then a list of the countries covered, all of Europe but doesn't seem to have Africa though.

Is that in the program itself?

Paul said:
Is that in the program itself?
I presume so, I just switched on my laptop to have a look.

What i'm really after is mapping for Ukraine, Romania and Poland

Paul said:
What i'm really after is mapping for Ukraine, Romania and Poland
It's got Ukrayina, Romania and Polska listed :thumbup: (their spelling)

Excellent, what is the actual program you have?

i always like to use the local spellings anyway.

Paul said:
Excellent, what is the actual program you have?

i always like to use the local spellings anyway.
It's a Garmin Mobile PC I bought on eBay for £68, I think it was

Should still be available on Amazon, think mine was £49.99 .

Jon Wildsmith said:
Should still be available on Amazon, think mine was £49.99 .
I might be quite wrong on my price, it was a while ago :?

Seems to be about £50 for s/w only

Without looking for comparisons, how does this differ to Garmin MapSource?

Gary Stockton said:
Seems to be about £50 for s/w only

Without looking for comparisons, how does this differ to Garmin MapSource?

MapSource is a planning tool / route maker it does not have the ability to interface with a GPS to show your location on the map, you need nRoute for that.

Ok. So I should use this for geographical locations that MM doesn't cover. Can you overlay sat maps / import Russian military maps etc?

Just ordered Garmin mobile pc software from Maplin online at £50 so we can see how it goes. At that price it is still cheaper than buying new maps for the regions that i want to go to for the tomtom, plus the tomtom maps are saying less than 75% coverage.

Back