Took out the carpet in rear of 80 and there is shed loads of

jeellison

New Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
22
OIL, lots of it under the carpet that I have taken out of the back of my 80.

The carpets were full of grease and were a mess anyway so I have taken them out but underneath there is loads of gluey oil. Someone mentioned that it might be meant to be there to stop rust. Is this true?

Also, is there any dimensions I can get for making a new carpet to go in the back?

Best Regards
James
 

TobyJug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
379
Garage
jeellison said:
Also, is there any dimensions I can get for making a new carpet to go in the back?

Best Regards
James

don't know about the oil but why not use the old carped to cut a template for the new one?
 

jeellison

New Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
22
Yes, I was thinking that, but it is just too darn.......err. Oily.

Best Regards
James
 

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
6,733
Garage
Country Flag
england
sounds like someone had an oil spill in there :(
 
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TobyJug

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
379
Garage
jeellison said:
Yes, I was thinking that, but it is just too darn.......err. Oily.

Best Regards
James

Just get a cheap sheet, cut it to size from the old carpet, wash it and then cut the new carpet with it... :mrgreen:
 

Tommo&Claire

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
959
Garage
I thought the 80 was galvanised so it wouldnt need rust protection????
 

Rob

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
3,019
Garage
they definitely do rust, i have seen very bad rust on one i viewed for chris. Not sure what protection they have but whatever they use its very good.
 

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
17,301
Garage
Country Flag
europe
I seem to recall seeing a Toyota brochure for the 80 years ago and they showed that whole cabin as being galvanised. I don't see any evidence of that, but in general terms they don't rust much do they. Just a couple of spots.

Chris
 

Rob

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
3,019
Garage
Rob said:
they definitely do rust, i have seen very bad rust on one i viewed for chris. Not sure what protection they have but whatever they use its very good.
well when I say bad I mean bad for an 80 :mrgreen:
 

Gilbert v H

Active Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
88
I took all of my carpets out. The oily stuff are bitumen mats which are stuck onto the the tin so for noise protection. It usually should be solid. For some funny reason though in some areas it went fluid (well mashy).
I scrapped all those bits off (careful dont scratch the tin) and cleaned the tin with white spirit. what is strange is that the interior was painted over those bitumen mats. So underneath there is bare metal and it probably a good idea to paint it before putting new carpet on top, otherwise it might rust. I am actually going to see if I can find similar mats again and stick them onto the now clean parts. The bare metal does not look galvanised to me.

Cheers
Gilbert
 

jeellison

New Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
22
Gilbert v H said:
I took all of my carpets out. The oily stuff are bitumen mats which are stuck onto the the tin so for noise protection. It usually should be solid. For some funny reason though in some areas it went fluid (well mashy).
I scrapped all those bits off (careful dont scratch the tin) and cleaned the tin with white spirit. what is strange is that the interior was painted over those bitumen mats. So underneath there is bare metal and it probably a good idea to paint it before putting new carpet on top, otherwise it might rust. I am actually going to see if I can find similar mats again and stick them onto the now clean parts. The bare metal does not look galvanised to me.

Cheers
Gilbert


Your right Gilbert, I thought it was all oil, but it seems to be a big oil spill and this has made the mats mushy, so bits come up easy and others bits dont. Not sure what to do now whether just to try and take it all up or just the easy bits? If I do take it all up what should I paint it with to stop it rusting in the future? And then after painting, would it be a good idea to stick more bitumen mats down?

Thanks
James
 

Gilbert v H

Active Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
88
jeellison said:
Gilbert v H said:
I took all of my carpets out. The oily stuff are bitumen mats which are stuck onto the the tin so for noise protection. It usually should be solid. For some funny reason though in some areas it went fluid (well mashy).
I scrapped all those bits off (careful dont scratch the tin) and cleaned the tin with white spirit. what is strange is that the interior was painted over those bitumen mats. So underneath there is bare metal and it probably a good idea to paint it before putting new carpet on top, otherwise it might rust. I am actually going to see if I can find similar mats again and stick them onto the now clean parts. The bare metal does not look galvanised to me.

Cheers
Gilbert


Your right Gilbert, I thought it was all oil, but it seems to be a big oil spill and this has made the mats mushy, so bits come up easy and others bits dont. Not sure what to do now whether just to try and take it all up or just the easy bits? If I do take it all up what should I paint it with to stop it rusting in the future? And then after painting, would it be a good idea to stick more bitumen mats down?

Thanks
James

I scraped all the mushy bits off and I am planning just to spray some paint on the bare parts. I was looking into what to put on then yesterday. Basically you are looking for car sound insulation. The best apparently is Dynamate, but this is very expensive. There are similar products on the market which are slightly cheaper.
The best value for money though seems to be flashing tape. I was thinking of putting that down everywhere in the car (I have the whole carpet out). If you cover the whole floor with it , that should give you good noise proofing. On top of that I am thinking to put insulation material, which is sort of rock wool on one site and aluminium on the over, (this is also relatively cheap). The only thing I need to check before how strong the flashing tape smells, because before it scrapped it out the whole car smelled of bitumen.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=soun ... 86.c0.m359
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=dyna ... m270.l1313
http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Veh ... 86.c0.m282
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=flas ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Another interesting thought is sprayable bedliner. e.g. http://www.spray-on-liners.co.uk/ You can get something like that for DIY as well. anybody experience with that?

Next problem is te carpet. The bitumen soaked through the carpet and I dont think this will come out. So I am looking to replace the carpet, but I have not found a source for a budget new carpet yet and I am not too sure to take a second hand one, as that is probably smelly too.
I wonder what a professional upholsterer would charge to fit a carpet.


Cheers
Gilbert
 

Gilbert v H

Active Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
88
Started putting flashing tape in today. It works very well and does not smell. I paid £27 for 450mmx10m.

02072010628.jpg

02072010627.jpg


I am also going to cover the wheel arches and everthing in the front.
 

jeellison

New Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
22
Looks good Gilbert but did you paint the tin before hand? I seem to be scratching it quite a bit trying to get these dam mats off. Should I be worried?

Best Regards
James
 

Gilbert v H

Active Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
88
jeellison said:
Looks good Gilbert but did you paint the tin before hand? I seem to be scratching it quite a bit trying to get these dam mats off. Should I be worried?

Best Regards
James

I left all the mats which are still hard in. The mushy ones I managed to scrap out without scratching. I did not paint before putting the flashing tape on, as the side which goes onto the body is bitumen same as the original mats. I do not think there are going to be any rust problems.
Meanwhile I also covered the wheelarches. I am planning to cover the boot area in chequer plate instead of carpet now.

Cheers
Gilbert
 

Nuclear Chicken

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2010
Messages
403
Gilbert:

A suggestion, cut around all your floor access points, e.g. the fuel tank point, with a Stanly knife or similar, to leave future access that bit easier. Handier now than trying to do it in an emergency or trying to work around a fitted carpet and seats and stuff. Looks good though. :clap: How about a thin domestic underlay before you refit the carpet?
 

Gilbert v H

Active Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
88
Nuclear Chicken said:
Gilbert:

A suggestion, cut around all your floor access points, e.g. the fuel tank point, with a Stanly knife or similar, to leave future access that bit easier. Handier now than trying to do it in an emergency or trying to work around a fitted carpet and seats and stuff. Looks good though. :clap: How about a thin domestic underlay before you refit the carpet?

I do not want to fit carpet, but chequer plate instead. Carpet goes only in the seating area, but I am going to cover that with flashing tape first as well.
As for underlay (under carpet and chequer plate) I was wondering if loft insulation (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-SQM-ALUTHERM-S ... 3a5b72a5c8) is good. Apart from the insulation effect it should also give etxra noise reduction.
Never thought about underly and just threw a huge amount away after getting new carpets in the house :doh:
 
Top