Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Towbar

NuisanceFactor

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
I would like to have a towbar on my Amazon, but many of the ones I've seen on the towbar manufacturers' sites look rather ungainly and the ones that have caught my eye are the receiver type as seen on US/Aus vehicles. Are they available in the UK and are there any reasons not to look for one like this?

Ta

Barry

A diy job is great if you have the skills and inclination but i think for a tow bar if i could buy off the shelf i would and i can't imagine Oz or American 100's having a different chassis from UK trucks which is perhaps what Barry is asking ?

I don't think you'll find a type approved receiver hitch for a 100 and all 100's are new enough to need a type approved bar to be legal. Most receiver hitches for a 100 are rated lower than the 100's 3500kg towing weight limit as well.

Towtrust do a bar that is quite low profile and type approved for use with one of their adjustable height couplings which is useful on a lifted 100. 33" and up tyres won't fit in the underslung position with that bar though because it is tucked in it only leaves space for a standard sized spare.

I was concerned about legalities and practicalities, and given my fabrication skills ie none, Jon's suggestion from Towtrust looks reasonable, particularly if coupled with the adjustable height thingamijig, though that does put the price up rather a lot :o

I don't like the idea of Scotchloks either, does the Amazon have a socket for the electrics or is there a proper kit to add/extend them?

Jon, I looked at the thread that you have regarding the swing-out spare carrier, looks really great, I'm not expecting to have to use 33s but may contact you for advice if the lure of lpg overcomes me.

This is the tt bar on ours. I don't think the adjustable height coupling is needed at standard suspension height on standard size tyres. If you did get an ahc, get the small one not the medium.

The wiring on ours was done when we got it so I just replaced the scotchlocks behind the rear lights with soldered joints. I think there is a proper socket under the back somewhere though.
20160528_105650.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back