Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TOWING a dead LC.

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hello all,

Can I tow an automatic 120 series, if I put the transfer lever to neutral ?

G.

Whenever I have had a 4x4 towed, they have put the rear wheels on a "mini" trailer and lighted the front. Apparently a cold 'box and drive train will not like the abuse. :?:

Can I tow it 100 meters?
Just the engine will not run I think

G.

I thought gearbox AND transfer in neutral was ok for short distances.

Cheers

in fairness, my towing was a about 40 miles.

Thanks Crispin, much appreciation

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
100 meters or low speed, no problem. The issue is usually (I don't know 120's all that well) the transfer box getting hot due to insufficient lubrication - there's usually an oil pump in them that is powered from the input side of the box, so the props turn bearings and gears that are not getting their usual dose of lubrication and cooling. Not sure how fast or how far you need to go for it to be a problem in the real world though.

Charlie and Nina were towed about 40 miles at speed when out in the East. They didn't have much choice really. I suppose that taking the props off in an emergency would do. Not something I'd want to try on a dual carriageway. But going a shot difference shouldn't be a problem.

Chris

Depending on drive train setup, i.e. in non 4x4s, the oil in an auto box can also overheat and this can require a tow either on the front wheels (i.e. arse up) or with the prop shaft disconnected. Likely this isn't an issue when there's a t-box and it can be 'neutraled'

Would the relative lack of load on the gears not reduce the heating and lubrication requirement problem or does that not make a difference? Guessing oil will get splashed around but a lot of "nooks and crannies" will starve.

Little update,

The "tow" will be for about 8,7 miles, about 13km.
The tow speed will not exceed 30 mph, probably closer to 20 - 25.
So if I put the transfer lever into "N", and also the autobox in "N"
It could be OK, ?

G.

I don't think that will be even close to being a problem Graham, but that's just opinion not fact ;)

Thanks Crispin & Jon,

Now just to get over the shame of being towed,

G.

Little update,

The "tow" will be for about 8,7 miles, about 13km.
The tow speed will not exceed 30 mph, probably closer to 20 - 25.
So if I put the transfer lever into "N", and also the autobox in "N"
It could be OK, ?

G.
Don't put the transfer lever into 'N' while towing ,it engages the
centre diff lock which isn't a good idea.

Back