Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Long Life Coolant

majic79

Right, I know Toyota will always try and promote the use of their own proprietary coolant mix - yes it's got corrosion inhibitors etc (what coolant mix these days doesn't?) but I want to know if there are any aftermarket coolants that people have had problems with, that way I know what to avoid. I'm thinking seals failing etc after switching to an alternative, or is it all good news with modern products?

Got everything together to replace my radiator and some other coolant pipes while I'm at it, I'm going to need to refill everything, the only thing left for me to buy is some coolant

Generally I would say after market coolant will be fine, but I find Toyota's Red coolant is very good, last very long and does a good job for these cars. It's only couple £ more than your "normal" coolant anyway

The Toyota coolant is well worth the extra money.
I've got 197k on the clock of my Hi-lux now and never had to touch the coolant. Its still clean with no signs of sludge and I've never had to strengthen it for winter either.
They do a red and a green coolant I believe, I think the green is for later vehicles but not entirely sure.

I may just 10 litres of ready mixed then - I have 5 litres (red) left over from my previous toyota

Back