Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota rear axle

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
It can be from almost anything. Must take 6 stud 16" wheels and be from a 4x4 sized car. Maybe even the rear one off of a van.

Would like one with discs rather than drums. Also on leaf springs.

Paul

Leaf springs - maybe a 60 series? I think most had drums on the rear though... Is this for a trailer?

Good guess, it is to go on the sankey I have. Or maybe another, but if it comes I would need 2 ;) I did think of a 60 series, drums would be ok as long as it will take alloys. I was also thing a 70 series, Surf or Hi-lux.

Paul

My immediate thought was Hilux too. My mate's is a 6 studder on 16", many are just 5 on 15". His is a double cab, maybe that's the difference.

Chris

Surf 2nd and 3rd Gen (1st Gen are very rare now) are coil spring.

My Hilux is Leaf / Drum / 6 stud (139 PCD) / will take alloys but you're not having it :mrgreen:

24Seven said:
Surf 2nd and 3rd Gen (1st Gen are very rare now) are coil spring.

My Hilux is Leaf / Drum / 6 stud (139 PCD) / will take alloys but you're not having it :mrgreen:

lol, I have looked at changeing the hubs, but an axle change is the best way I think.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul,
I have got a comnplete Hilux one, drums & 6 stud in the shed, I got it in Noukachott, Mauritania as an emergency spare to fit on my Hilux a few years ago, It was nearly new & the diff oil looked like it had never been used!
I wont tell you what I had to pay for it, but I was desperate & it was a fortune!
When I got back I then rebuilt the original & refitted it to the old Hillux before I sold it.

I drove back from Mori with the original one strapped to the front bumper............I wasnt letting the robbing so & so's have that one!
if you are interested I'll dig it out & take some photos.
Andy

Let me know a price please as this might be the killer of the deal!! People know I like a bargin :lol: :lol:

Paul, if you cant sort a deal with Andy I have a mitsi L200 axle you can have if you can pick up from Perthshire.

Paul.

Just cos it is on Coils now, could be made to work with Leaf springs. You would need the mount plate and U bolts off a vehicle with Leaf Springs and maybe the Springs themselves or you could probably make one up - just need to make sure you get the castor angle correct. I'm sure you could fab something up and it maybe would give you some more choices - a coil axle with discs, grind off the coil seat and fit on a leaf mount plate in the correct place.

Welding is not a problem or making the mounts. Caster angel is not a problem as it will be on a trailer.

Graham, it might be possible, but getting it to me maybe the problem. I am not sure if we get up there in the lorry with work.
I take it the axle was on leafs and not coils as per the front? Also is it compleat?

Paul

Paul, the axle is a standard rear from a 2003/04 4x4 pickup so yes, it was on leaves. It only had about 50k miles on it what i bought it with a new diff flange seal fitted. I bought it for one of my "projects" but it's been sat in the garden since(maybe 2 years). I think it is missing the brake shoes and slave cylinders but has the drums which could probably do with a clean up considering that it's been outside unused for a while.

I have no use for it now so it's yours if you want it FOC. You might get something for the diff and shafts if you just need the tube and bearings.

Paul_Humphreys said:
Welding is not a problem or making the mounts. Caster angel is not a problem as it will be on a trailer.

Paul

Good point there don't know where I was going with that one, steerable Sankey trailer.

Didn't think you'd have a problem with fabbing up the mounts or making it. Just thought might give you a couple of options rather than just looking for Leaf sprung units.

How about using an 80 series one and leave it on the coils (I presume the Sankey has the hieght to take the Coils), then fix up some rear trailing arms from the trailer chassis - would probably be better behaved when not heavily loaded than a leaf sprung one.

Also if you had a UK fully floating one you can just pull the diff out, pull the drive shafts and make a plate up to cover where the diff was - easier than modding up a semi floater that needs the driveshafts.

Pretty sure most Hilux ones are semi floating as are Surf ones (not sure on the 3rd gen but a definate on the 2nd gen). Also then you have standard set of spares - drive plates, bearings etc to go with your 80. Might even be able to get one without the Diff in it which tends to be the expensive part of the axle when you buy them second hand.

I did think of an 80 series axle, but would cost about £350 for a good one. But as you say I would have the spares. A non-locked 80 series would be great as the bearings and the like would be the same.

Paul

You might want to do a search on one of the scrap locators - When I had my 80, I got front and rear diffs from a scrap yard in Monmouth - the axles were still there - he did say that every now and then they did come in. If they were still there I reckon you could get a complete rear axle including the suspension arms for a lot less than £350. I reckon without the diff and the drive shafts you should be able to get one for not much more than £100 (with a bit of negotiating). I Will have a look through my old emails and see if I can find the guy's number and see if he has them.

Hi Paul

I'm looking into exactly what you're doing - fitting Yota wheel to my Sankey - at the moment & am going to fabricate some adapters from plate flanges & a bit of tube.

This will increase the track of the trailer but I am quite happy about doing tthis so it matches the truck more. I reckon a 50mm spacer either side will work out.

I'll let you know how it goes on :pray:

Cheers

How wide is the Sankey chassis between the wheels? Just doing a bit of hijacking to see if my trailer axle would fit one :mrgreen: Have you enquired at any trailer places to see how much it would cost to have one made? I think mine was £320 made to my choice of dimensions with indispension units so a solid axle unit might be cheaper.

I'll have to have a measure up tonight for you Jon. My Sankey is a 1972 ¾-tonne narrow version. From my limited knowledge on these things, it seems there's quite a few configurations to choose from... Is your axle braked?

Gav Peter said:
I'll have to have a measure up tonight for you Jon. My Sankey is a 1972 ¾-tonne narrow version. From my limited knowledge on these things, it seems there's quite a few configurations to choose from... Is your axle braked?
Some measurements would be handy. My axle is braked, only rated for 1300kg, I figured heavier than that was too much and might be a rough ride for the contents with only a few hundred kg's loaded. The sankey chassis was not long enough for my original plans of a family camping trailer but with that usage out of the picture it might be simpler to buy an existing chassis than build one from scratch. I have the axle and a hitch, just exploring the possibilties for the rest of it when the subject comes up ;)

Back