Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota red coolant, mixing ratio?

diggerdave

Hi all,

I've only ever used the ready-mixed Toyota coolant before, but I can't find any going cheap.

Does anyone know the mixing ratio offhand for the concentrate version? Is it 1:1? I.e. will 5l of concentrate give me 10l of antifreeze?

Does it have to be distilled water that you mix with?

The merc red anti freeze mix is 60 40. As a rule around half and half and you won't be far wrong

There are varying ratios for a scale of lower temperature protection. I just go 50/50. This is down to about -30 iirc.

By the book you should use distilled water. I do. Plenty don't.

Distilled water in a 20 year old lorry engine. Happy with good old Derbyshire tap. If it's good enough for tea, it's good enough in an engine. Not everyone has as good water as we do here of course. But I wouldn't fuss over whether it has to be distilled, de mineralised or even unicorn tears. I wouldn't think it will kill the engine with scale and deposits.
I got a 25l drum of AF from my local warehouse recently for about £36. Can't recall ever buying genuine Mr T for any of the Toyotas I've ever owned.

Ditto , theres nothing magical about it and water will do , though i do put roughtrax toyota red in mine simply for its anti corrosive properties while knowing i will never change it again unless some other circumstance forces me to .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Halfords OAT 5 year antifreeze/coolant. Changed the first fill at just over 4 years and it was exactly the same colour as when it went in, not a hint of any sludge or deposits. Use it in the bikes too.

Thanks all. I'll go with the Toyota stuff for its anti-corrosion additives I think.

Must resist the urge to add milk and sugar to the mix.

Distilled water in a 20 year old lorry engine. Happy with good old Derbyshire tap. If it's good enough for tea, it's good enough in an engine. Not everyone has as good water as we do here of course. But I wouldn't fuss over whether it has to be distilled, de mineralised or even unicorn tears. I wouldn't think it will kill the engine with scale and deposits.
I got a 25l drum of AF from my local warehouse recently for about £36. Can't recall ever buying genuine Mr T for any of the Toyotas I've ever owned.
The unimog manual states tap water.

Edit; it states fresh water.

Last edited:
My Me manual states clearly beer only but everyone ignores that page :violin:

Yes.
The tea bags can be added to the rad.
Then fill your favourite mug from the drain off.

I only got coolant from Toyota as it was £20 for 25 litres on a trade deal, still got a load left.
Just gets tap water too, no different to what we do at work.

Problem with tap water is if it's hard, containing lotsa calcium, it will deposit scales at the hottest surfaces inside the engine. This results in insulation of the areas that need the cooling the most.

Back