Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer box

Steve,

Thanks. Yes, I had assumed the truck is a '90' as its in that forum, but better to check. I wonder if Maya can post a picture or two of the underside. It sounds as though the front output shaft bearings have collapsed but I don't wholly trust the descriptions.

I have 'started a conversation' with Tonytoyota, hopefully he has a suitable TB.

Cheers.

Bob.

Maya,

Tonytoyota has a Transfer Box for an Automatic 90 - I'll "Start a conversation" with you about it rather than on a public forum.

I'll await your response.

Bob.

Hmm, I’m reading this thread and thinking I’ve a similar issue on my Auto Collie. I likened the sound to a mechanical broken speedo cable spinning around inside its casing. Driving there are no issues and same with H/L etc. all good.
The oil has been replaced recently so that’s ok.
Know what videos I’ll be watching tonite...:think:

Bob, you've frightened her off ! Only joking, good solid advice as usual.
Maybe she's getting the prop removed?

I think i described mine like kingkong smacking the chassis with a rubber mallet.I can't remember though if it's possible to replace the chain with minimal stripping of the internals - it might be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reading the comments on facebook a slipping stretched chain is mentioned a few times and the box only fits on one way so its just bolts , once it off if things get complicated you can chuck it in the boot of another car and take it to a mechanic .this car is very nice.the internt because i'am good maechanic.

I've had a 'conversation' with Maya. The truck is a '95' Colorado so that's all OK.

The front propshaft has been removed and the noise has gone :think: . That surprised me as I'd have thought that there would still be some noise if the output shaft bearings have, indeed, gone. Curious.

She is contacting Tonytoyota about his Transfer Box, her local garage has confirmed that they can swap the boxes over.

I have offered to buy the old box, mainly because I'm curious about it (yes, we have cats :icon-wink: ).

So hopefully this will lead to a resolution of the problem. I don't need to be involved any more, unless I'm asked of course.

Thanks for rallying around, folks - I knew you'd come up trumps :thumbup:.

Bob.

Hi. Reading through this thread as it somewhat resembles an issue that has just developed on my (3rd hand imported from UK to Zambia) Toyota Landcruiser Prado (1kd engine) c. 100,000miles. I've noticed recently a slight clunk/thud when engaging the automatic gearbox from Park to Drive or to Reverse. Then yesterday I noticed that as I began to accelerate a little harder as I drove off there was the beginning of a clicking/ratcheting noise (didn't appear to come from behind but hard to tell where from exactly). As I eased off the power the sound went away. I was able to maintain around 80mph (with no noise) to reach home 30mins later.

As I live in Zambia and am a farmer in a rural area I don't have immediate access to a quality mechanic. A local chap that we use for more benign issues has taken a look and reckons front and back diffs were quite low on oil and the transfer box was dry ! Am in the process of replacing all gear oil and am wondering how wise it would be to continue driving the vehicle thereafter? What is the chance the noise will be dealt with? What else should one be checking?

Well, there is a lot going on in a Transfer Box and running it dry won't help it!

There is an oil pump in there that feeds filtered oil into the front of the main input shaft from where it lubricates the bearings, sleeves, splines and gears before dropping back into the bottom of the case. There is a magnet in there too - to collect metal swarf (which works very well).

The noise you hear may well be due to the parts running dry. In particular the Hi-Vo chain that drives the front propshaft may be getting noisy if its dry. On top of that you have noticed some play developing in the drive train, that may be due to lack of oil pressure between the bearing faces or just plain wear - it doesn't take much wear in individual parts to build into a 'clonk' !

I suggest you get the oils changed as soon as possible and see how it feels. These things are quite substantial and are not going to collapse on you in normal use. I have seen some that were rusted-up inside and others that were heavily contaminated with soil in the oil, yet they still worked.

I would run the car for a bit and then change the oil again, just to wash out any particles held in suspension. Cleaning the magnet and oil filter requires a major strip-down, they are not designed to be user-serviced.

If, after some TLC, it is still noisy & making clunking noises I'm afraid it will require a full strip-down and re-build if you want it to be quiet, but it will go on for years with play in it as long as the oil is changed regularly.

Let us know how it works after the oil changes.

Bob.

Back