Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer box

Removed shifter and this doesn’t look right but I don’t have a clue what I’m looking at :tearsofjoy:

I should’ve bought a 2nd hand one.. I see why it’s nearly 2k to get them rebuilt lol

Attachments

• AB85F10C-2D47-4A02-B126-B18681BD2BCC.jpeg
    AB85F10C-2D47-4A02-B126-B18681BD2BCC.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 50
Well turns out my crowbar fitted perfectly on the selectors and out of bad temper I wedged the rod and now the out put shafts are spinning and it’s selecting all ranges, neutral, high lock, high and low:)

just got to try find someone to replace my uni joints and I can fit the props and see if the machine gun sound has gone:coldsweat:

more nervous about this than when my daughter was born!

thank you so much to everyone who helped on here and especially to @BobMurphy and @Shayne

Sheeeeesh, I hadn't realised you were doing this with it still attached to the gearbox :shock:.

Yes - that little cut-out in the worm gear is the right one :thumbup:.

So you're all ready to fire it up (apart from not having prop shafts) - don't forget to put oil in it (don't laugh !).

Prop shaft UJs are not too difficult to replace. I put up a thread some years ago but the pictures will have gone now. Others have also documented the process so do a search. You will need heat.

Well done with the repair, let us know how it goes.

Bob.

Well the day came.. oil in, props on, last check over that everything’s tight...

Fired her up

SHES FIXED!

no thud noise at all when changing gears and most importantly the horrible ratchet/machine gun sound under load has gone!:smile::smile:

thankyou so much @BobMurphy

now just got to fit new suspension and lift springs and new handbrake and get her back on the road!

Well done, been watching this with interest.

Hooray !

Well done, its a daunting task when you tackle it for the first time (but it is pretty solid and will forgive a few mistakes).

I'm glad its finished successfully, good job (people will be coming to you for advice now :lol: ).

:thumbup: Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you lads!
Got to be the biggest diy repair I’ve ever done on a car before!

made up that it’s over an done with though :tearsofjoy: :grin:

That's great work you done there. Fair play! :)

What rod did you wedge with your crowbar to get things moving, what was the problem there when the gear lever wouldn't shift?

:clap: the only guaranteed way to fail is to not try at all , well done :thumbup:

@Oli.g did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the same thing. Noise is unbearable and don't have a second car. Local garage not that interested. Was it the chain in the end? Thanks! Maya.

Maya,

It seems that new bearings and chain sorted the problem.

A friend asked me to sort out his Transfer Box as it was 'slipping' noisily. I stripped and re-built it but the problem was still there. I stripped it again and still couldn't find anything wrong. After the third strip-down he found that the front driveshaft splines in the nearside front wheel had stripped and it was the shaft spinning under load that was the problem - nothing to do with the Transfer Box at all. It had me tearing my hair out ! It might be worth checking that before condemning the Transfer Box.

What are your symptoms? and lets have some details of your truck (model, year, engine, manual/Auto - the usual).

Also - where are you - in case there is a member near you who can help.

I have a couple of renovated Transfer Boxes for a Manual '90' (plus one for an 'Auto 90' I haven't had a look at yet) - but I'm near Edinburgh so probably a bit far away for a quick box swap.

Bob.

Gosh you guys are so friendly! Thanks so much for your message Bob.
So, automatic Land Cruiser 2001.
Symptoms are a god-awful repetitive clanking noise when I accelerate. Starts off slowly (in time with slow wheel rotations) and gets fast and louder as revs increase. Sounds like the bottom of the car is going to fall off! Once car has settled at a pace the noise stops. No noise at all unless accelerating. Far worse going uphill. The noise is definitely metal-on-metal and the local garage said potentially coming from transfer box but very unsure (it's certainly that area). I've just had £1500 of welding done so can't quite bear another bill for the old girl!
I'm in Midhurst, West Sussex.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maya,

Some further questions . . .

How long have you had the truck ?

What is the mileage ?

I assume you're running it in High Ratio with the Centre Differential 'Open' - Transfer lever over to the left and back (don't laugh) !

Has it been 'Off Roaded' recently (or before you bought it) ??

Did the problem start suddenly, gradually, after some incident (i.e. an 'Off-Road excursion') or what ?

You say it goes quiet when it is at a steady pace - but what happens when you corner at that pace (i.e. a normal A-road bend) ??

What happens when you lock the Centre Differential (Transfer Lever forward) - I would expect the clattering noise to increase if its the chain slipping (DON'T drive more than a few yards like this on a dry road) ?

When you accelerate and hear the clanking noise - does the drive feel 'jerky', as if its slipping ?

As you may have sussed - I'm trying to establish if the noise is coming from the Hi-Vo chain or the Centre Differential as the diffs are prone to fail if given a hard time.

If you're feeling up to it - get your local garage to remove the front prop shaft, then drive the truck with the centre Differential locked. It will be a "Rear-Wheel Drive" truck while like this. If its the chain, the clanking should cease as the chain is only spinning the output flange, without any real load.

If its the Differential, there may still be noise (but not as much).

I'll put my thinking cap on and wait for your reply :think: .

Bob.

Hi again Bob!

Wow you really are the oracle!

It has 170000 on the clock and hasn't been loved very well by the looks of things. I've had it for 2 years but in that time have built a full rooftop adventure rig / tent and all sorts of extras and am VERY attached to the vehicle! It's my daily car but also my kids and I go off in it most weekends to camp. I can't bear to lose it!

A friendly local mechanic just had a look and said the prop shaft is loose / not fixed into the transfer box? The bearings have gone? Does that make sense? He can't fix it and doesn't know how to. He suggested removing the prop shaft too but wasn't sure if that was do-able (he's not a Land Cruiser expert by any means).

No recent offroad action to report - issue just started quietly one day last week and in 3/4 days became v bad. Clearly gets worse each time driven. I live in the absolute sticks down a long lane so no other transport!

Thanks again for any advice as to what to do next.

Mx

Well . . . . That does make sense.

If the front propshaft driveshaft bearings have gone to that extent the chain will be slack and able to jump about on the sprockets.

The chain drives a sprocket on a short shaft with two bearings on it. The flange that turns the propshaft is on the outside of that. There are high radial forces at play here.

I suspect the oil seal in behind the drive flange has also failed and you have probably lost all the oil from the Transfer Box - HAVE YOU NOTICED AN OIL LEAK ?.

The fact that it has developed so fast makes me say "DON'T DRIVE IT". The chain will be constantly turning and will thrash the shaft to death - probably ruining the Transfer Box casing in the process.

Removing the front propshaft will reduce the load on the chain and shaft, but won't stop it thrashing about.

If it has lost its oil, and it continues to leak when topped up, don't use it. There is an oil pump in there that keeps the bearings lubed and if it runs dry everything will wear rapidly.

So, what to do next . . . . . . :think:.

You need to have a working Transfer Box fitted before you do any more miles.

I have a Transfer Box for an Auto, but its untested, I intended to re-build it over the winter. I don't carry many spares for them so if I started now it would be a couple of weeks at best before it was ready. Midhurst is also the best part of 1,000 mile round trip for me (with a fuel shortage). We need to find someone closer !

Karl Webster breaks Landcruisers, I wonder if he has one, I'll see if I can contact him.

The big question is . . . For how long can you live without the truck ?????

I'll see if I can rally the troops :icon-wink: .

Bob.

Tony is breaking a 90 if any help to you
Chapelgate breaking a 100

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys! Someone is coming to remove the prop shaft today but I'm guessing from the above that I still need a new transfer box? Is that correct?
@BobMurphy in answer to your question - I can't live without it! I'll have to hire a car from a rental place until it's drivable but I can't really afford that either.
Feeling very nervous about all this!

Steve,

Would that be 'Tonytoyota' ??

(There are a few Tonys on the site :doh:).

I have 'started a conversation' with Karl, but no response yet.

Bob.

Maya,

Do you know if the box has lost all its oil ??

That's the killer question.

If all else fails, I could use the 'auto' parts from my untested box and convert one of the rebuilt manual boxes (I have done this before). That box could be shipped to you if your local garage can swap them over.

Are they capable of doing that ??

Bob.

Yes Tonytoyota
Maya says its a Landcruiser 2001 but not which model 90 95 or 100 Amazon so have put in Chapelgate as well

Back