Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

transfer case oil type?

stevoyorke

Went to GSF car parts was given limited slip gear oil for my 1996 transfer box... is this oik ok?

Attachments

• 20140818_180446.jpg
    20140818_180446.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 712
The oil recommended in the OM is 75w-90 API GL4 or 5. Not really sure how LS oil differs from the 'normal' stuff.

I have viscous coupling in there, is that the same as limited slip?
haynes manual says 80/90 api 5 nothing about limited slip, maybe limited slip oil specific wasn't around in 1996?

The oil recommended in the OM is 75w-90 API GL4 or 5. Not really sure how LS oil differs from the 'normal' stuff.

The operation of the VC is the same principle in a round a bout way Steve, but it's not the same mechanically. The VC is plates with oil between and I think the LSD is friction linings of some sort so they need special oil. I wouldn't use the LSD oil in the transfer box simply because that's not hat is supposed to go int here. Hey I run mine on ATF so who am I to say it's wrong. But then it's my truck.

I use LS oil in my front (open) diff and rear (LS) diff, absolutely no problems - I understand that the LS oil has an extra additive to 'normal' oil.

I havent changed the transfer box oil yet, let us know what you decide and what happens after you've done it !

Cheers

Pete

Doing abit of research, VC is a sealed unit in itself so putting this oil in won't do anything for the VC, only in LSD where it's open allowing the oil in and benefits... Guess the guy didn't need to special order this! Don't think it will do any harm putting it in after all it does lubricate the bearings anyway.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes Steve it is. It's a sort of can basically. Damn heavy mind you. I have one in the garage somewhere.

I would think it's fine to use this. But Pete, you say absolutely no problems - how would you tell? I'd think you'd need to drive thousands of miles then pull the diff and inspect it. Wouldn't you? I'd ue it if I had nothing else but not sure I'd run long term on it. Can't see why it would be damaging at all. But I'd guess at the very least it's more expensive, no?

It wasn't expensive being mineral based, 5 quid a litre from GSF...
I change all the oils each year anyway so might as well put this in for the year. Usually I get synthetic ones!
Can't see the harm in it...
no one red flagging it yet lol.

image.jpg
This is what I got for mine

Andy

Variations of oil by members for use in the transfer case so I went ahead and put mine in, feels just fine, good thing about older cars you can more or less get away with slight variations of oil compared to the high spec cars of today where the wrong grade in the engine could screw up the turbo etc.

Back