Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transformer overland camper

Fantastic. Was this the one mentioned elsewhere that made his own Fridge?

scandalous! That blokes just copied what the bloke on the previous page has done!
That’ll be it. :)

At least I got to watch it now. That must have cost a packet. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the internal space though I guess the camera didn’t do it justice. Top quality on everything though being German of course.

Who'd have thought there'd be two identical custom builds. It's ridiculous. And they're both German too.

Blacksmith. Yeah. Right. Obviously given up shoeing horses then. Nice pics. Lovely to have the time, space, skill and cash to do something like that.

He also made this one : 40 series body on a 80 chassis
c2cb1f907f4788e7b139b79f831fe74b.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fantastic. Was this the one mentioned elsewhere that made his own Fridge?

Its actually easy to make a fridge. I did it once. You can buy the 12v compressor unit and a cooling plate from Waeco direct, then you just need to build an insulated box and fix the plate in there.

Its actually easy to make a fridge. I did it once. You can buy the 12v compressor unit and a cooling plate from Waeco direct, then you just need to build an insulated box and fix the plate in there.
Hmmm, handy to know Waeco do the kit.

Some interesting ideas in this lot
Not specifially Off road builds but inspiration, food for thought maybe.
A USB fire…who’d have thought it.

I bet they’re expensive. Len used to make units up like that to go in other manufacturers cabinets.

Trouble with the majority of those camper/box conversion is they put all the weight on or behind the rear axle. Not a good idea if you doing a lot of Offroad.

Saw a pickup with camper body on a piste near Algeria a couple of days ago. The pop top bit over the cab was moving up and down by about 6 inches every bump, none of us thought it would last to the end of the day without major damage
Saw the same set up in iceland ie pick ups with camper, some held on with chains. But they were all bouncing and banging back down on the rough tracks and certainly will break at some point

I don’t want to hijack the thread but I have a question. I have been thinking about doing a full restoration of my 80. I don’t want to chop it or add on a Tom’s style fibreglass back.
I too really like keeping it simple , really much like the set up I have but renewed.

So I would like to fully renovate like Tom and some of these other links have shown they do to 80’s. I have seen some workshops in the USA that do it too.

Do any of you know :
1. Anyone in the UK that does this kind of work? And has a good track record.
2. Or anyone on the continent - nearer eg holland is better than far away.
3. Any good threads on this

All ideas, suggestions, contacts etc very welcome. Cheers.

Surprised no one has mentioned the fliptop / flip pack. Cut off the roof, and put this on. Easier with barn doors, but I guess top and bottom fold out works too. And you get a ton of space. Suspect cheaper and more durable than most other mod's listed and does not initself add a lot of weight.

A1ZkmPW.jpg images.jpeg EarthRoamer_XV-JP_Interior.jpg

Surprised no one has mentioned the fliptop / flip pack

Baffles me why nobody uses a flip side , in effect you would be sitting outside the trucks floor area doubling your living space as apposed to the flip top that simple lets you sleep outside of the trucks floor area .

Baffles me why nobody uses a flip side , in effect you would be sitting outside the trucks floor area doubling your living space as apposed to the flip top that simple lets you sleep outside of the trucks floor area .

flip side would just be a RTT ?

Back