Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission & Gearbox Oil Change

fridayman

Garage
I want to change these next. The transmission oil doesn't appear to be too tricky, but I haven't seen many/any posts on how to change the gearbox (auto) oil - does anyone have a how to?

Cheers
Et

Without meaning to sound thick, what is the difference between transmission and gearbox oil in your view? Perhaps you're referring to transfer case or diffs....

To change the ATF in the autobox, simply undo the drain plug and let it pour out. Measure how much came out (assuming the level was correct beforehand) and refill with the same amount via the gearbox dipstick :thumbup:

In terms of changing the ATF, Andrew is right with the procedure, but there is another caveat and that is how long is it since it was changed. There is a considerable amount of ATF in the system that is trapped in there and only comes out if you take it all to bits. If you regularly drop 5 litres and put in 5 litres you are essentially continually diluting the dirt. If it hasn't been changed for years and it comes out black then you need to drop and swap, drive for a bit then drop and swap again until you have diluted the dirty stuff to an acceptable point. I put 20 litres though my last truck until is was clear.

Chris

Sorry, I was being thick... transfer case not transmission.

OK, thanks guys. I got 4 litres of Toyota dexron 3 that I will do tomorrow evening. I bought one of those Pela oil extractors to suck it out of the dipstick tube so that I can measure exactly how much has come out - do you think this will work?

just out of curiosity is there a replacable filter in the bottom of the autobox on the pick up ?

I just pull the bung and let it run into a an oil catch pan. I keep old oil containers to dispose of used fluids. When I pour it into those I can tell what came out.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I borrowed one of those oil extractors from work. Only got three litres out via the dipstick but just kept refilling it with same amount everytime. Took five goes to get it clean but improved gear changes as a result.

are all the auto boxes in the 90 Series Dextron 2 or 3 ??

The book and drain plug say dextron 2 but i use dextron 3 mainly because that is what is on the shelf.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
The book and drain plug say dextron 2 but i use dextron 3 mainly because that is what is on the shelf.

Joe

My dipstick also says Dexron 2, but the Toyo guys only sell Dexron 3 now.

Back