Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transponder problems....

Dave_S

Okay - quick question - is there a way to remove or bypass the transponder on my 1996 80 series 4.2 diesel? The vehicle has a Clifford alarm with remote intellistart, so presumably the transponder chip (from the original key) must be squirrelled away in the dash somewhere, but has recently stopped working and we need a work-around. Unfortunately, as we don't know where the chip is we're struggling to trace the problem and I guess the alternative is buying new transponder, keys, etc, which from MrT will be silly scary money I guess?

Any ideas very much appreciated!!!

Thanks guys

Dave S

Meant to add... switch to Landcruisers as a step up from Landrovers... but at the moment I'm missing my very simple 200 TDi Defender! No electric trickery to get hung up on...

Other than rewiring the fuel stop solenoid on the IP I don't know of another way of disabling the OE transponder/immobiliser setup. As you have probably found the engine will turn over but not start when the immobiliser is working so the system must work by shutting off the fuel. New transponder keys aren't that expensive from Toyota, I paid £50 about 5 years ago but they need programming into the system. Obviously they will need the car and also the master key for this.

Other than rewiring the fuel stop solenoid on the IP I don't know of another way of disabling the OE transponder/immobiliser setup. As you have probably found the engine will turn over but not start when the immobiliser is working so the system must work by shutting off the fuel. New transponder keys aren't that expensive from Toyota, I paid £50 about 5 years ago but they need programming into the system. Obviously they will need the car and also the master key for this.

Cheers. The problem is that I don't have the master key - looks like this was used as part of the alarm system install so must be in the dash somewhere (if we can find it!!!). I recall a post a while ago where someone mentioned one of the resident experts (Karl or Julian?) bypassing the transponder... or maybe that was wishful thinking on my part?!?

I thought the original alarms for that year were Scorpion which were badged up as Toyota and fitted by Toyota dealerships on arrival in this country. Certainly no transponder with these and the most reliable alarm I've ever had. I think problems with the Scorpion were due to poor fitting. I assume you are sure that your alarm is the original one.

Frank

Definitely not original - its a Clifford system, retro fitted - complete with blackjax anti-hijacking, intellistart and all that stuff (another reason I want this sorted, longer term, as I plan to use the vehicle for overlanding and cant afford to have the system give up on me in the middle of nowhere). The vehicle manual states that the keys have a transponder etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My '98 reg (97 build) LC has a Toyota badged TVSS 3B alarm system which, I understand, was fitted for the UK market by the importer. Don't know who actually made the unit. The transponder-in-key immobiliser is OE and completely seperate from the alarm which arms with a fob and locks the doors.

I had a clifford 600 fitted to my 70 when I bought it....a right pain....downloaded the operators manual, and fitting instructions off the "net", followed a few wires under the dash and hey presto.....no more anti hi-jack, or annoying messages....just left the central locking and window roll up in place...

Did you have any joy after the chat dave???

Last edited:
Thanks all. Karl - no sign of the key, so we're going to bypass the transponder as you suggested and "simplify" the rest of the install (per Nivapilot's comments). Hopefully we can get the truck sorted on Monday...

All I did, was locate the Clifford control box, traced the wiring until I found where the wires had been cut into, and reinstated the like coloured wires.
Disconnected the sounder and binned it, just left the red led flashing on the dash, window rollup, and central locking in place.

Google clifford systems, and you will find the operators manual, I also found an install instructions, which certainly helped in deciding which wires and components were not needed.

Back