Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tree Felling - The Saga Continues:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I recently put up a couple of pictures of my Ford Transit Cherry Picker against an 80ft dead Beech tree.

Pat put in a request . . . .

"Bob,Will you put more pics up when you do the job as it looks real challenging
Regards Pat"

This was the picture that had Steve reaching for the sick bag . .

DSCN6223_zpstpdvryek.jpg

Using the Cherry Picker and a hand-thrown line I managed to get a pair of 10 metre 2-ton strops looped over the upper branches.

DSCN6374_zpsjcxojbjz.jpg

I wasn't happy with the position of the left-hand one and changed it to loop around the main stem. My plan was to cut the right-hand one first as it was further from the outbuilding and the left-hand one would prevent it falling on me (and the building) if it all went belly-up.

I lifted the anchor chain up and shackled it to the strop. so far so good.

DSCN6376_zps7qm0dgyy.jpg

One for Steve :icon-wink:.

DSCN6380_zpsvoaq6qdm.jpg

The intention was to pull the RH fork towards a large Ash tree at the edge of the property on the far side of my wood pile.

DSCN6382_zps3jicycwu.jpg

Strops were set . . . .

DSCN6384_zpsuwtedm1b.jpg

And my cable winch was replaced by a proper 'Tirfor Winch' with a much longer pull.

DSCN6387_zpsgwhjcttt.jpg

It was looking good.

DSCN6386_zpst3wzwomt.jpg

I started cutting a notch - without much tension on the chain as I didn't want to risk trapping the bar. That worked OK.

DSCN6389_zpsbgfrlgp0.jpg

I tensioned the 'Tirfor' and started cutting the back of the trunk. It started to trap the bar so I went back down and gave the Tirfor everything, I could hear the tree starting to crack under the load.

Back up and continued cutting - the cut was opening up nicely and it looked as though it was going to fall where I wanted . . .

As it fell it twisted round and the off-set upper branches pulled it to the side. I guess there just wasn't enough weight in the doubled anchor chain to keep it moving. It fell to the side of a Lime tree, knocking off a couple of branches but it also caught the phone line - breaking the catenary cable that it hangs from. The phone line just hung a bit lower and the phones still worked. Ho Hum, I eventually cleared the site and re-hung the phone cable from the pole. Its a nice neat job, disguised with black Gaffer Tape but one day it will bite me when BT spot that its been repaired :icon-rolleyes:.

DSCN6390_zpsth4sew7m.jpg

A few days later it was time to tackle the other half. This time I had arranged for the two 'lads' from the farm to bring the Merlo Telehandler into the field next to the garden. I had the chain all ready, plus a pair of PMR radios.

We got it all set up and I cut a large notch, then they pulled while I cut the back and it fell where I wanted it - right into another Lime tree!

The main trunk made a fair sized hole in the ground.

DSCN6418_zpsmgff3ylb.jpg

The top made a bit of a mess of the Lime Tree, but it will survive.

DSCN6421_zpsfo3iefaw.jpg

I then cut about six ft of the main trunk off, while everything was set up.

It made a large hole as well!

DSCN6417_zpsktgtatof.jpg

I now have about 20ft of main trunk still standing.

DSCN6416_zpsdfjzpw7h.jpg

What caught me out with this tree is that it was much further 'gone' than I thought. It had some leaves last year so I thought it had just died and that the wood would still be flexible. It isn't, its quite dead and instead of folding neatly into the notch when cut it just snaps. That's why the first half fell the way it did.

I was thinking that the main trunk would be good for milling, but the chippings are very light and its quite soft - its just a large lump of firewood (3.2 metres circumference at the base).

This view may show the state of it. That lower cut is in good condition and the wood I've logged is really nice.

DSCN6420_zpsrbwwtecz.jpg

I'll drop the main trunk when I've cleared the fallen stuff and logged it.

I now have a 'Forest Master FM16' electric log splitter. Its supposedly equivalent to a 16-ton splitter because its got two splitting wedges on an 8-ton ram. Its quite impressive but it needs to be higher as crouching alongside it isn't good for the posture.

Unfortunately it weighs 78 kilos and is an awkward shape so I doubt I can lift it onto a table without help - which isn't usually available.

Its an impressive machine though. The other day it sheared one of the four bolts that holds one of the wedges - its a high-tensile M10 cap-head set !

First I have to get my Solo 662 24" saw running, its short of sparks and is now coming apart while I seek the cause. Its all solid state so what's to fix ?? I hope I can get parts.

My two 20" saws are a bit small for these logs :icon-wink:.

I'll have to stop working on cars and get on with the logging before the cold weather arrives.

Bob.

Last edited:
All those logs. :D And ready seasoned in the ground too. :D:D

I'll be interested to see how your log splitter gets on. I found 8 tonnes (well around 9 in fact) a bit lacking for some of the awkward branching logs. I've often thought maybe I need a different wider wedge.

That'll you keep you busy for a while Bob.

Interesting felling job, it can be pretty scary and unpredictable dropping these big trees. I have had near misses with phones lines tool :(

I recently put up a couple of pictures of my Ford Transit Cherry Picker against an 80ft dead Beech tree.

Pat put in a request . . . .

"Bob,Will you put more pics up when you do the job as it looks real challenging
Regards Pat"

This was the picture that had Steve reaching for the sick bag . .

View attachment 105211

Using the Cherry Picker and a hand-thrown line I managed to get a pair of 10 metre 2-ton strops looped over the upper branches.

View attachment 105212

I wasn't happy with the position of the left-hand one and changed it to loop around the main stem. My plan was to cut the right-hand one first as it was further from the outbuilding and the left-hand one would prevent it falling on me (and the building) if it all went belly-up.

I lifted the anchor chain up and shackled it to the strop. so far so good.

View attachment 105213

One for Steve :icon-wink:.

View attachment 105214

The intention was to pull the RH fork towards a large Ash tree at the edge of the property on the far side of my wood pile.

View attachment 105215

Strops were set . . . .

View attachment 105216

And my cable winch was replaced by a proper 'Tirfor Winch' with a much longer pull.

View attachment 105217

It was looking good.

View attachment 105218

I started cutting a notch - without much tension on the chain as I didn't want to risk trapping the bar. That worked OK.

View attachment 105219

I tensioned the 'Tirfor' and started cutting the back of the trunk. It started to trap the bar so I went back down and gave the Tirfor everything, I could hear the tree starting to crack under the load.

Back up and continued cutting - the cut was opening up nicely and it looked as though it was going to fall where I wanted . . .

As it fell it twisted round and the off-set upper branches pulled it to the side. I guess there just wasn't enough weight in the doubled anchor chain to keep it moving. It fell to the side of a Lime tree, knocking off a couple of branches but it also caught the phone line - breaking the catenary cable that it hangs from. The phone line just hung a bit lower and the phones still worked. Ho Hum, I eventually cleared the site and re-hung the phone cable from the pole. Its a nice neat job, disguised with black Gaffer Tape but one day it will bite me when BT spot that its been repaired :icon-rolleyes:.

View attachment 105220

A few days later it was time to tackle the other half. This time I had arranged for the two 'lads' from the farm to bring the Merlo Telehandler into the field next to the garden. I had the chain all ready, plus a pair of PMR radios.

We got it all set up and I cut a large notch, then they pulled while I cut the back and it fell where I wanted it - right into another Lime tree!

The main trunk made a fair sized hole in the ground.

View attachment 105221

The top made a bit of a mess of the Lime Tree, but it will survive.

View attachment 105222

I then cut about six ft of the main trunk off, while everything was set up.

It made a large hole as well!

View attachment 105223

I now have about 20ft of main trunk still standing.

View attachment 105224

What caught me out with this tree is that it was much further 'gone' than I thought. It had some leaves last year so I thought it had just died and that the wood would still be flexible. It isn't, its quite dead and instead of folding neatly into the notch when cut it just snaps. That's why the first half fell the way it did.

I was thinking that the main trunk would be good for milling, but the chippings are very light and its quite soft - its just a large lump of firewood (3.2 metres circumference at the base).

This view may show the state of it. That lower cut is in good condition and the wood I've logged is really nice.

View attachment 105225

I'll drop the main trunk when I've cleared the fallen stuff and logged it.

I now have a 'Forest Master FM16' electric log splitter. Its supposedly equivalent to a 16-ton splitter because its got two splitting wedges on an 8-ton ram. Its quite impressive but it needs to be higher as crouching alongside it isn't good for the posture.

Unfortunately it weighs 78 kilos and is an awkward shape so I doubt I can lift it onto a table without help - which isn't usually available.

Its an impressive machine though. The other day it sheared one of the four bolts that holds one of the wedges - its a high-tensile M10 cap-head set !

First I have to get my Solo 662 24" saw running, its short of sparks and is now coming apart while I seek the cause. Its all solid state so what's to fix ?? I hope I can get parts.

My two 20" saws are a bit small for these logs :icon-wink:.

I'll have to stop working on cars and get on with the logging before the cold weather arrives.

Bob.
with my tree surgeons hat on I would say this tree was climb/dismantle firstly because paying customers ask for a discount if you do any damage .secondly because of the unknown factors in felling a dead tree.Beech can be badly rotten whilst looking healthy & the only way to find out is to make some cuts...Dead beech tends to be brittle & is fairly dense & heavy.The twisting on the way down could be because you winched off one stem - better to do one at a time or pull equally off of both.The fact that your saw became trapped on the back cut may be due to the stem leaning backwards.this makes a already technical job even more complicated.Cutting a more open felling notch should give you more control as the stem will fall further before the faces meet.Twisting may also be down to an uneven back cut.Winching should be a 2 person job.going up & down to 're tension the winch is not recommend at such a critical stage! The sound of cracking before you finish the back cut would indicate too much tension.you should aim to have just enough to stop the stem going backwards & on completing the back cut have the winch operator complete the pull.Having a length of rope between the winch cable and the strop helps keep up tension & can act as a purposely weak link if things go wrong - I've heard of a job where a fairly large tractor was dragged backwards up a bank!As the stem falls the stench in the rope is taken up & keeps the stem falling in the right direction.From the point of view of a professional this is a well prepared & skillfully executed job - I wouldn't insult you by calling you an amateur! but tree surgery is unpredictable and dangerous . be careful!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In my defence I should say that I have taken down many trees, some larger than this one and this is the first time that I've had part of one fall the wrong way (and I was partly prepared for that as well).

I'm always learning and I'll be more aware of dead wood in the future (though I don't have other trees like this to take down, fortunately).

Bob.

In my defence I should say that I have taken down many trees, some larger than this one and this is the first time that I've had part of one fall the wrong way (and I was partly prepared for that as well).

I'm always learning and I'll be more aware of dead wood in the future (though I don't have other trees like this to take down, fortunately).

Bob.
I had a difficult , technical job on last winter , two 18 - 20 M dead pines to fell & a tight space .it wasn't exactly keeping me awake at night but I did find myself thinking about bit once or twice before I dropped off....the most difficult tree went exactly as planned but the second one fell about half a meter off line & ended up hung up.the result was some cursing & a few broken branches on a neighbouring tree .expect the unexpected!

:screamcat:

Bob.

Thanks for the photos,with the gear you have you did a superb job.We are fortunate in having a 9 ton trax and a DB 990 at our disposal which makes
things easier and I understand what Good old boy says but sometimes being
boys we take the odd risk and just look for escape routes if something goes
awry.your transit is a great asset.I have to have a longer look at your pics and will get back to you later.Pat

Well, I fired-up my old "War-Horse" today - a McCulloch Pro-Mac 610 that was old when I bought it in 1989 !

I look after it and it just keeps on going. It doesn't scream like a modern saw, just growls away all day.

It demolished the 6ft piece of trunk - but its 20" bar was a bit short and the cuts didn't always line up as planned.

I was looking at an American "Chainsaw Enthusiasts' Forum" and was quite pleased to see that the 610 is considered "Collectable" :icon-cool:.

DSCN6527_zpsfg55slwl.jpg

The wood doesn't look very healthy so I guess its only good for firewood.

DSCN6529_zpskvpp6gh3.jpg

Next, on with log splitting. This is my new "Forest Master FM16" - Its got an 8-ton ram with two splitting wedges. It weighs 78 Kilos and is an awkward thing to drag about.

DSCN6531_zpsglq89tin.jpg

"DSCN6533_zpsbupgaonu.jpg
For he's got high hopes, He's got high hopes . . .
High Apple Pie in the Sky hopes . . "

That slab is at my lifting limit (I must be getting old).

DSCN6534_zpsbm1vcony.jpg

PAH !!

It didn't even blink :lol:.

DSCN6535_zpsvgp6e27y.jpg

DSCN6537_zpsegkssqpx.jpg

DSCN6539_zpsfxgaegkm.jpg

And eventually . . . That's the first 'round' off to the woodshed.

DSCN6541_zpsbxfzy41q.jpg

I am impressed with the log splitter, which cost me £399.99 from "Wrightbuyers" who sell the Forest Master range on e-Bay.

Details of the splitter here:
http://www.forest-master.com/duocut-fm16-electric-log-splitter.php

Bob.

How long did it take to cut up that barrowload Bob?

I find the real test for a splitter is a branching round with three or more branches. Technique I've learned in the time I've had mine certainly helps then.

What’s the drawback time like on the splitter Bob? I’ve got a German one that seems to manage most things,, but find the maul quicker at times.

Its not a particularly quick process and I'm still developing the technique. I suppose it was 20 mins/half an hour to fill the barrow.

One piece was all knots and wouldn't split straight or even sit properly on the splitter, they take the time.

There is a locking collar on the ram guides that limit the return travel so if all the bits are half a splitter length or so some time can be saved. Also there are two positions on the operating lever, the first is 'quick' but without much power, the second, slow with the full force. This means one can quickly (relatively) advance to ram to the work before splitting it.

I seemed to be at it for a couple of hours yet only got four rounds cut.

They can 'explode' when split and as you are very close its best to wear a hard hat! I now have bruises/grazes on my right forearm (the one that operates the pump motor).

Bob.

What’s the drawback time like on the splitter Bob?

Its quite fast, I'm not waiting for it at all. There is a bleed valve that has to be open to let air in and out of the hydraulic tank. The drawback takes a few seconds to the sound of a 'waterfall' of hydraulic fluid being returned.

It holds 8 litres of ISO 22 hydraulic oil.

My 'Versalift' platform uses ISO 46, so my workshop is filling up with 20-litre drums of different fluids :icon-rolleyes:.

Most of these logs will be going into the 'Pot-Bellied' Stove in the workshop. The openings in the fire are not very large and if a piece is an awkward shape its easier just to sort it with the big axe rather than mess about with the splitter.

By then, the bits are 'chop-able', Most of the 'rounds' are just too thick for the axe at the beginning.

Bob.

Last edited:
That’s handy having the stop. I’ve got an old piece of elm that I put between the pusher and the round, saves a bit of time. I found out about the fly outs the hard way, now I make sure I use the splitter well away from any windows…….. One handy tip I picked up from the internet was when splitting the smaller stuff with the maul, stack them in an old tyre, keeps them upright and stops them flying about.

I have no comments, but enjoying this thread immensely!
No experience with a mechanical/ hydraulic splitter, it was all shoulder and a fb fellah in my day :lol:

When lopping or top-down felling, I always tried to use a check-chain or retraint to prevent heavy branches or limbs from burying themselves too deep in the grass, depending on location.
But whatever the circumstances, it's a dangerous occupation. The only predictable element is its unpredictability!
Great thread... :thumbup:

I have no comments, but enjoying this thread immensely!
No experience with a mechanical/ hydraulic splitter, it was all shoulder and a fb fellah in my day :lol:

When lopping or top-down felling, I always tried to use a check-chain or retraint to prevent heavy branches or limbs from burying themselves too deep in the grass, depending on location.
But whatever the circumstances, it's a dangerous occupation. The only predictable element is its unpredictability!
Great thread... :thumbup:

image.jpeg
This is most interesting,the felling,different trees to what we work with,
the various types of scarfs folks use,wedging and the techniques used and so many intelligent members.I will try to do a video of my splitter working as is on a bench and uses a wire rope hooked onto a hinged lifting platform to hoist
those big ones onto the table.Operates the ram with a thigh control leaving both hands free to shift the blocks around.

Back