Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tree Felling - The Saga Continues:

Drawback from full extent today took 8 seconds!

Thanks Bob. Hmm, I think that’s quite a bit quicker than mine. Might just be a design difference, but I haven’t changed the fluid since I got it, and I’m not sure what viscosity the initial fill was. I bought it from an agricultural machinery place more used to heavy gear, so perhaps they filled it with a thicker grade than it needs. The only info I can find just states hydraulic fluid, no spec. so perhaps a refill with a light grade would speed it up a bit.

Edit: I've just managed to track down the spec and it's supposed to use HLP46, which I think is a pretty common grade for tractor hydraulics, so that’s that theory probably out of the window. Might try a change, but it looks like it’s just slow !
One job I must do is get on with is an overhaul on my Stihl 80AV before winter sets in, it still pulls a 24” bar ok, but it’s getting on a bit and needs a good looking over. I must admit that I find it a bit heavy these days and treated myself to a smaller Husqvarna last year, a bit plasticky but zips through the smaller stuff. Mainly Ash and Sycamore to come down, but some big Spruce too. I had one of the Spruces down last year as it was too close to the house and beginning to look a bit tired. Luckily it was a clear path to drop it into a field behind the house, just had to take a bit of fencing down, still a bit of a nail biter, but all went well. 40” diameter at the base and the ground shook when it hit the deck !

Last edited:
I thought you guys might be interested in this 'Log Stacker' that I bought with the Log Splitter.

The box makes it look very neat, but I didn't realise that it doesn't come with a wooden base, oh well.

DSCN6588_zpszxo0c7ge.jpg

The instructions are on the reverse!

DSCN6598_zpsh7jf1xpe.jpg

I eschewed the rather twee stand and went for something more suitable for a farm :icon-cool:.

A 2.4 metre length of 120 x 150mm timber, with length reduced by about 360mm.

Its quite large - the Ranging Pole (marked in feet) gives an indication of the size:

DSCN6568_zpszkbbyjhj.jpg

DSCN6569_zps32mathec.jpg

DSCN6571_zpsfs7oypy9.jpg

DSCN6574_zpsbzbbxnsp.jpg

DSCN6575_zpszonnr8ab.jpg

Grrrrr, why aren't my logs nice and straight and an even diameter - like those on the box lid :doh:.

A few minutes with the 20" McCulloch later . . . .

DSCN6587_zpshezlqkap.jpg

That is three barrow-loads. Some were a bit large for my wood burner so I halved the diameter with an axe.

Its much easier than having to wedge the branches somehow for sawing - or using one foot to pin them down :thumbup:.

It was £29 for the metal work and £30 for the wooden base (+ Cuprinol). The kit comes with the right-sized wood boring bits which is a nice touch.

A word of warning . . . The Chainsaw 'Health & Safety' advice says don't use a saw above shoulder height. At 6'2" this stand is about right for me but if you're shorter than me just bear this in mind (I won't mention my 20ft Pole Saw - what does Elf & Safety say about them? :whistle:).

I'm not actually a "Forest Master" Salesman and have no connection with the Co. other than as a satisfied customer. The FM16 log splitter has been doing sterling service recently and my wood shed is almost full :icon-wink:.

Bob.

I thought you guys might be interested in this 'Log Stacker' that I bought with the Log Splitter.

The box makes it look very neat, but I didn't realise that it doesn't come with a wooden base, oh well.

View attachment 105987

The instructions are on the reverse!

View attachment 105988

I eschewed the rather twee stand and went for something more suitable for a farm :icon-cool:.

A 2.4 metre length of 120 x 150mm timber, with length reduced by about 360mm.

Its quite large - the Ranging Pole (marked in feet) gives an indication of the size:

View attachment 105989

View attachment 105990

View attachment 105991

View attachment 105992

View attachment 105993

Grrrrr, why aren't my logs nice and straight and an even diameter - like those on the box lid :doh:.

A few minutes with the 20" McCulloch later . . . .

View attachment 105994

That is three barrow-loads. Some were a bit large for my wood burner so I halved the diameter with an axe.

Its much easier than having to wedge the branches somehow for sawing - or using one foot to pin them down :thumbup:.

It was £29 for the metal work and £30 for the wooden base (+ Cuprinol). The kit comes with the right-sized wood boring bits which is a nice touch.

A word of warning . . . The Chainsaw 'Health & Safety' advice says don't use a saw above shoulder height. At 6'2" this stand is about right for me but if you're shorter than me just bear this in mind (I won't mention my 20ft Pole Saw - what does Elf & Safety say about them? :whistle:).

I'm not actually a "Forest Master" Salesman and have no connection with the Co. other than as a satisfied customer. The FM16 log splitter has been doing sterling service recently and my wood shed is almost full :icon-wink:.

Bob.
Like you Bob I'm working on updating my wood sawing methods and I'll have pics soon.My wife took some photos on Saturday after I had finished and put the chainsaw away so those pics are no good.Your system is v.g. but you still have to manhandle the logs.Solution is needed.

Your system is v.g. but you still have to manhandle the logs.Solution is needed.

I need to finish the renovation (NOT 'Restoration') of my 1976 Zetor 6718 tractor - its got a Grays Front Loader that will lift at least one ton!

Just too many Landcruiser & Motorcycle projects on the go at the moment :doh:.

Bob.

I like that log holder, my saw horse is falling Apart, so rather than build a new one I might get one of those log holders, will make chainsawing multiple logs so much easier, thanks for showing it to us !

I'll tell you what Elf n Safety says.

You're at home, not at work, do as you please. Just be careful though, you need to know there is a chance you could hurt yourself, but if you are sure you know what you're doing, crack on fella.

That's what it says.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the log holder looks great Bob well worth the money.balancing on one foot whilst chainsawing is not recommended!

Thanks for sharing that Bob, looks to be a very handy bit of kit. There’s a place not too far from here that sells old railway sleepers, perhaps one of them would do for a base if not too short. At the moment I pile the branches up on a sawhorse and tie them down, but there’s always an escapee or two and I have to alternate between ends to keep it all balanced. I had a Zetor 5911 for a while, it was a good strong tractor, always started on the button and was unusual in that it had front suspension. But with only 2 wheel drive and the slopes round here, nerve wracking at times and a little prone to getting stuck (it rains quite a bit round here !).

That's so funny

Best I have seen for a while.

Thanks Crispin.
pp
Thanks for sharing that Bob, looks to be a very handy bit of kit. There’s a place not too far from here that sells old railway sleepers, perhaps one of them would do for a base if not too short. At the moment I pile the branches up on a sawhorse and tie them down, but there’s always an escapee or two and I have to alternate between ends to keep it all balanced. I had a Zetor 5911 for a while, it was a good strong tractor, always started on the button and was unusual in that it had front suspension. But with only 2 wheel drive and the slopes round here, nerve wracking at times and a little prone to getting stuck (it rains quite a bit round here !).

I will get pics to you today it may help a lot of using chainsaw problems safety wise .

I might get one of those log holders, will make chainsawing multiple logs so much easier, thanks for showing it to us !

Its not perfect - when you get to the last section it all collapses in a heap and you have to find another way of carrying out the last two cuts :doh:.

Overall I'm pleased with it though :thumbup:.

Bob.

Its not perfect - when you get to the last section it all collapses in a heap and you have to find another way of carrying out the last two cuts :doh:.

Overall I'm pleased with it though :thumbup:.

Bob.

Bob,I made up a thing for putting logs on and the chainsaw is mounted at the end.No more lifting the chainsaw.Perfect,not quite as you still have to get the logs up there.Next project is to make forks to suit my IH traxcavator as with the crowd action should be able to get logs up and roll them on,however that will lead to next problem,doing the splitting.Think I can do it but will need
extra pair of hands.Great fun ain't it.Look at the pics and please suggest improvements.Pat

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bob,when we were doing a bit of timber milling,we used to put Waratahs in the ground,slide some shorts 6x4s and lay the slabs between the stakes and when full just just cut them down,firewood length,got a bit cheesed off ,had a heap of firewood and youngest son sold it and I got stuff all.Kids.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I made this log fitting Gidget out of an old BBQ,a kids slide and some water pipe.
The Aim was that I didn't have to lift the chainsaw and it works.Iback the gator up to the end and as I cut the bits go into the gator.it 12" dia easily..

So let me have some comments please as I'm lying on the bed having just had my hip replaced and need some distraction. image.jpeg

If it works Pat, then I'm impressed!

Any machine should perform the function intended, whether bought off the shelf or home-made.

What I find with most appliances, is that they're not designed by "users", so the advantage of building your own stuff is building in solutions to those niggling things that commercial products lack.

Thanks for persevering with the photo uploads and I hope the glue holds in your new hip joint long enough to appreciate all your hard work, this time Pat. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery matey!

Reactions: Pat
If it works Pat, then I'm impressed!

Any machine should perform the function intended, whether bought off the shelf or home-made.

What I find with most appliances, is that they're not designed by "users", so the advantage of building your own stuff is building in solutions to those niggling things that commercial products lack.

Thanks for persevering with the photo uploads and I hope the glue holds in your new hip joint long enough to appreciate all your hard work, this time Pat. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery matey!

Thanks mates,I'm a lousy patient and can't put weight on leg for 6 weeks.

Pat,

A neighbour had a hip replaced last year. It was successful and he appears to be back to 'normal'. Knees, on the other hand, can be more problematic. My wife is rather restricted in her movements having had her right knee replaced about five years ago.

I hope your recovery goes well and you are soon back out there felling and logging trees!

your saw horse looks fine to me. If it does everything you wanted it to then it works.

I have stopped cutting and splitting logs as I've nowhere to put them until I have burned some. The wood burner has been going in the workshop for a week or two now and it will soon get through them.

I love your 'shed' - I used to think my garage, workshop and shed were large enough, but not anymore (far too many projects on the go).

Get well soon :thumbup:.

Bob.

Pat,

A neighbour had a hip replaced last year. It was successful and he appears to be back to 'normal'. Knees, on the other hand, can be more problematic. My wife is rather restricted in her movements having had her right knee replaced about five years ago.

I hope your recovery goes well and you are soon back out there felling and logging trees!

your saw horse looks fine to me. If it does everything you wanted it to then it works.

I have stopped cutting and splitting logs as I've nowhere to put them until I have burned some. The wood burner has been going in the workshop for a week or two now and it will soon get through them.

I love your 'shed' - I used to think my garage, workshop and shed were large enough, but not anymore (far too many projects on the go).

Get well soon :thumbup:.

Bob.

Thanks Bob ,the doctors and nurses know me well and they have given me strong warnings about recuperation.I had the hip done in 2011 and the cement
packed up so they have just redone it.

Back