Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tree Protector straps ...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Now that I've got a shiny new winch to go play with, I was wanting to get a tree protector strap or two ... So I looked on the Damar site and saw this:

758784240257-228x228.jpg

But surely I don't need something with a hook on? Can I not get away with a short-ish tow (not kinetic) strap, say 3 - 4 metres or so, with two sturdy eyes (one at each end) and use that? It could double up as a bridle if needed - and maybe a 5 metre one as well? I 'think' they might custom make me a couple with some cladding in the middle to prevent chafe (oo-er, missus :o )
What benefit does the hook give - seems to push the price up quite a bit??

Any thoughts, suggestions??

Thanks

thats a quick strop. i broke mine last time i was using it a few weeks ago. the little metal spring bit on the hook went flying off at speed. :thumbdown:

the ones David Bowyer has started selling look good, and no hooks either. :thumbup:

cant see them on his website but theres a pic of them in his TOR advert. ;)

I got some DB ones, not used in anger yet but I like what I've seen of them so far and no need for a shackle when using them with a winch hook, just hook it on and off you go :)

I have been using the ARB tree trunk protector (10 Feet) for quite some years now -and I am happy with that...and so are the trees :? ..I guess...it´s not that expensive -and still mint, after 40-50 times of use.

Damar are round the corner from me and will make anything you want. Usually whilst you wait. I have a tree strop of theirs Gary and it's just a big wide strap. About 4" from memory. But it's not showing on their web pages.

Not going past in the next few days I'm afraid or I'd drop in and ask them. Very nice bunch.

Chris

I have one of David Bowyer older comperition ones. About 5" wide with a large yellow hook one end and a master ring on the other. Just pop it around the tree, hook on to the master ring and winch hook on to the master ring and away to go.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK - found the Goodwinch (David Bowyer) ones:

173463.jpg

from here:

Straps and Chains

Prices aren't too bad, especially compared to the ARB strap which looks pretty but is so expensive I can buy about 6 of DB's ones :lol:

I got the 'Competition Protected Tree Strops' with the metal triangles on the end just below the 'webbing tree strops' in his shop. Chuck it round a tree and hook the winch on. I do have regular strops as well though.

Sort of related... When are chains needed? And what do I look for in a chain?

Chains are good around rocks. I have had to use those before. Devon 4x4 do a very good choker chain. I have two - obviously :roll: because I can't help my self. They are one of those rarely used bits of kit, but when you need one....

Chris

Goodwinch have chains as well - I think you'd need them as an extension or to wrap around logs / rocks etc. to drag them out the way / off a trail? Well - I would!

£14 cheaper (ex VAT) - don't know if lengths are comparable, but seem to be. Is 2m of chain in one length enough though? Would be ok for trees etc that have fallen, but don't think big enough for most decent rocks?

EDIT: Yes, I suppose I could have 2, but one would be simpler :lol:

I have a short choker chain with a master link on that I use to wrap round fallen trees that need moving out of the way which the chain grips better than a strap. Also useful for wrapping round anything with sharp edges that might damage a strap.

Back