Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trolley Jack

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
What size/weight of trolley jack should I get for lifting my 100 series? Would the same apply to axle stands? Sorry to be thick about this but I always can rely on the advice from this forum.

Always gone with a 3t. Same with stands usually. Why? Probably the most that your off the shelf kit is rated at. Never really bothered about actual capacity, more longevity. Also higher capacity tend to be bigger and lift higher. When you're going gearboxes and so on, every inch helps.

I've had a 2.5T quick lift Halfords jack for sometime and it lifts either end of the 80 quite easily. The only issue I have with it is it isn't quite long enough to reach the rear diff without the handle pivot point being underneath the vehicle which obviously limits it's stroke and makes getting the thing started a bit of a ball ache. With hindsight I would have bought a long reach jack with handle and foot pedal to make life easier.

For both trolley jack and stands, it is the height that counts. I find that 6 or 12 ton stands are better suited for the cruiser.
For trolley jack, get one that can lift 700 mm +. I'm using a 2 t long jack, that can reach from the rear axle just to the rear end, so that I can choose to use either the long handle or the foot pedal for jacking. This 2 ton jack weighs in at 70 kg, and can easily lift either end of the HDJ100.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi All, was reading this thread n ordered 6 ton axle stands from SGS. Instead of 4 I received 8 stands. Do we need 8 stands? If not I ll return 4.
About Jack, I thought of using the one that came with the car. Do we need additional Trolley Jack?

Raj - Trolley jack is quicker, safer and much more flexible, especially if you're working on the truck, but you need stands to be safe, e.g. if you need to get under the vehicle. For just changing a flat tyre the standard jack is okay and I certainly don't drive about with a trolley jack on board all the time!

Thanks Dave, was looking at jacks and found this suitable as it’s low weight. It says 460 m max lift height and 2.5 ton. How much lifting height and weight do we need for Landcruiser.
there are 3 ton n 560mm ones as well but weighing 40kgs.

I'm not a good judge haha! I have three, two 2.5t ones with different lift/reach and a 3.5t workshop jack with quick release with a huge reach, but I work on a lot of different 4x4s. As uHu said, I'd focus on the lift height - go as big as possible.

I got two sets of these for the 120, quite a good height on them.

Also use a 3 ton high lift Sealey trolley jack. Personally I wouldn't use anything less than 3t with any LC, and always make sure its well supported in at least two ways (eg jack + stands) before you get under it. Make sure you lift it in the right place and put the stands in the right place. If in doubt, post a pic of your setup before you get under it for real, and get feedback.

I received 6 ton axle stands from SGS. M thinking one of these two this. Pls which one of these will be more suitable for Landcruiser

Last edited:
When looking at trolley jacks make sure the front wheels are of a decent diameter but also you want a wide wheel base as this makes the jack much more stable....especially if you end up working on a less than level drive or rough concrete surface.....maybe get a 5 ton one so that it's never working on it's limit

Thank you Grimbo, not sure how to calculate but I am adding 4 axle stands of 6 ton per pair and Jack of 3 ton. This adds to 15ton weight bearing capability. Will that be enough

Raj, not much calculating to do there. You have 4 axle stands max 6 ton per pair, thats 12 ton max support if the vehicle is totally off the ground. Your lc weighs nothing in the region of even 2 of them. Your jack lifting capacity is the main one to get the lc off the ground to axle stands safely, and bear in mind you can only lift one end or one side at a time anyway. Just be guided by other sensible suggestions on here regarding that.

Looks like Sealey has a great selection of trolley jacks, but they are all very stubby. What happened to the good old standard pro garage trolley jack, that weighs around 100 kg and will last around 100 years? The only jack I see at Toolden that comes close, is this one: Sealey 2200HL Trolley Jack 2tonne High Lift Low Entry - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
although it seems to be very light weight for being 2T with that length.

This one seems to be sturdy, and tick all boxes: 3T long chassis high elevation trolley jack - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] Obs: L version, there is a BH13000 without the L for long, which is too short.

These are my criteria for a trolley jack:
- Long enough to reach under the car from the rear end into the rear axle, in order to jack the whole rear end. Same for the front end, into the central jacking point there.
- Lift high enough to place jack stands under the frame, high enough for the wheels to clear the floor. (~700 mm for a standard 100-series)
- Able to lift one end of the cruiser at the time.
- Both foot pedal and long handle is nice. I normally use only the pedal, and have replaced the long handle with a socket wrench with T-handle for lowering.
- Stable and sturdy enough to lift one end of the car. With two wheels on the same axle off the floor, the jack has to be be stable enough not to start bending or tipping left or right. It takes a bit of awareness to make sure that all factors in play ore on the safe side.

When I place the car on 4 jack stands, I lift the front first, as the jacking point there is on the frame (more stable), and the lifting height is less than on the rear. Then I place stands under the frame rails, just at the front end of the front doors. With the front on stands, the car is much more stable so that I can lift the rear by jacking under the rear diff. Even though the diff is off-centre, and the axle lifts a bit skewed, the frame stays level, and I can place stands somewhere at the rear. - Either at the very rear or in front of the axle, depending on where they are most out of the way.

For me the lifting capacity of the jack is not so important as the stability and as such a 5ton DIY type trolley jack is going to be much better built and capable of withstanding repeated use and uneven ground....
The 3 ton trolley jack I use for work is a job to lift it's that well built but it's very stable ....some of the ones mentioned are no doubt able to lift the vehicle but could easily be carried with one hand...obviously there is a price difference...but you should only need to buy a decent jack once....
I've seen people using Halfords type axle stands on a tarmac drive on a hot summers day....and also seen the vehicle sitting sideways minutes later as the thin steel legs sunk into the hot tarmac...
It's not just about the rated weight of the kit.....

Some good points there Grimbo, as regards sinking that's equally as important with a jack too, I've seen people jack or attempt to jack on grass, with bottle and trolley jack, absolutely idiotic. Some axle stands have an actual base as part of them, but in any case a proper safe evaluation, 'risk assessment" should be taken by anyone at the start of any job like jacking/supporting, condition of ground, and adequate footprint employed to spread the load to nullify any settling/sinking that may occur. I think most of us would recognise that anyway.

Back