Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Truck tried to start its self

Charlie

Country Flag
indonesia
Well I’m away, but received an email saying when my brother’s wife got home from work the alarm was going off on my truck and it was trying to start its self. Not had a chance to have a look at anything yet, but it must have a short in the starter circuit somewhere.

Are you sure someone wasn't trying to steal it?

Are you sure someone wasn't trying to steal it?

No nobody was trying to steal the truck, my brother said there’s a burnt electric smell under the bonnet and the batteries were very hot.

No nobody was trying to steal the truck, my brother said there’s a burnt electric smell under the bonnet and the batteries were very hot.

It almost sounds like Great White Syndrome...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Check the earth in the passenger side kick panel first and then any others you can see in case something is trying to earth through the starter relay which would be my 1st educated guess as to cause.

That would stop you sleeping at night... laying away wondering if the truck was going to start and drive itself across the road, onto your neighbour's drive and through his rangerover :))

A few years ago there was in my neighbourhood a Volvo Amazon which started by itself, and took off, in first gear. Did a 190 degrees turn, drove into the pillar between two shop windows, jumped back onto the road, crossed diagonally and onto a landfill tip next to the road. By then the owner came running behind. It stopped a few feet from the steep hill straight into a lake. Nobdy injured, only a burned out dashboard and some chipped plaster.

So maybe disconnect the battery until sussed out.

I was doing a house survey once and looking out of the front window saw my Range Rover charging down the road with the postman clinging on with door open trying to stop it. I had not put the handbrake on fully.

Frank

Back