Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo Sensor (EGR removal)

Wandering Aengus

I installed an Alisport intercooler a few weeks ago and since then have been trying to remove the last remnants of the EGR system.

Julian T has been giving me a lot of useful help as he had his intercooler installed by Alisport themselves.

Interestingly it seems that Alisport removed Julians turbo sensor completely during his install. I am slightly reluctant to follow suit as presumably it is required?

What exactly does it do? For reference the part number i'm referring to is 89421-60030.

It lets the ECU know what the boost level is so it will put the warning light if you over boost for more than a few seconds. Pretty sure it will also be used in working out how much the ECU should tinker with the fueling. If you disconnect all the electrickery you will lose high altitude fueling adjustment (if that matters) unless you have an import with the mechanical altitude compensator and maybe a little economy in return for some extra power from being slightly over fueled, depends exactly what you are being told to do.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a spare set of sensors and valves to experiment with on the bench and not have to be quite so careful I don't let the smoke out of the ones on my 80 :whistle:

Last edited:
After some test drivers there seemed to be a flat spot in the mid rev range with the turbo sensor disconnected.

In the end I thought of connecting both the turbo sensor and also all the other things Julian T had connected, this seems to be working well for now.

Thanks for the advice Jon and sorry for bringing up an oldish thread, it's been a busy month.

Hi guys, is the fuelling on UK spec diesel 80s controlled by the ecu? The ones here in Kenya are mostly Jap imports and purely mechanical.

If you're talking about 24 valve engines then in the UK they got some electronics to control EGR and do altitude compensation but these just tweak the vacuum in the pipes going to the same injection pump you probably have but with a mechanical altitude compensation and single solenoid to cut fueling during start? The 12 valves don't have any electronics for the pump in any market.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting. So me thinking that connecting up the turbo sensor had fixed a flat spot was just a placebo effect?

Sukhraj - i'm currently in South Sudan but will be heading to Kenya in a couple of months. Do you know anywhere in Nairobi that could professionally tune my engine post intercooler install? No jua kali garages please!

Back