Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TV streaming - One for the techies'

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

have a question about live TV streaming.

As I am outside UK, I can not simply log onto iPlayer or the likes to watch ITV, BBC, Ch4 etc.
So that leaves be either looking to buy a VPN, at about £5.00 a month.

If I was in UK, I could watch OK on the computer via internet.
Now, would it be possible to do teh live streaming via my brothers computer, which is running 24/7 ?
He has it running continuously running IP cameras in and around his house.
He can "log in" or assume control, and view any of the cameras, but I don't think it is running as a server.

The other option is he would stand a web cam infront of a spare TV, and I could watch via the Skype, like I did a few last year.
Good for the Rugby etc.

Skype isn't the best, but better than what I had, which was nothing.

So what are the options?

Gra.

You could setup a vpn to your brother's machine and route via that. Provided his bandwidth is ok, it'll be fine. Google windows to windows vpn. Depending on which router he has, that might be able to do it.

Very possible.

Also lookup logmein and shomiti for another option.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

If it is sports try vipbox.tv if it is for Iplayer and the like, there is a way of using a ip masking software to make it seem that you are in another country. There is a proper name for this and I can not think of it for now.

Hi Crispin,

I just put tha LogMeIn on one of the computers.

Quite amazing.

Is the basic, really free?

Gra.

Paul_Humphreys said:
If it is sports try vipbox.tv if it is for Iplayer and the like, there is a way of using a ip masking software to make it seem that you are in another country. There is a proper name for this and I can not think of it for now.
Thanks Paul,

Thats now on my list of "to do's"

How does it mask my Chinese ip addy?

I really want a UK ip addy, and I guess thats only available if I am in UK ?

Gra.

Also there is many benefits if you guys can mask your UK ip addy, and have a Chinese one.

The movies here that are all watch on demand is amazing.
Almost every movie ever made, even stuff released last month, is uploaded to the likes of Youku and iku.
All watch on demand movies, and "save'able"

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is free. Been using both free and paid versions for years.

If you look at shomiti from same company, that will give you a vpn where all your traffic looks like it's from the uk.

Hi guy's

How safe is LogMeIn ?

I know there is password, and then an 8 digit number.

Can that be foiled, or is the 256 encryption good enough?

So no one can rummage around, without you (me) giving permission at my end?

Gra.

Crispin said:
You could setup a vpn to your brother's machine and route via that. Provided his bandwidth is ok, it'll be fine. Google windows to windows vpn. Depending on which router he has, that might be able to do it.

Very possible.

Also lookup logmein and shomiti for another option.

Hi Crispin,

Do you mean shomiti is also from the LogMeIn guy's

I can't see it ?

I can see hamachi, thats the only thing that looks close.?

Gra.

Ok,
So far so good,
Hamachi is up and running, I can see a new ip addy.
I know it's not a Chinese ip, because it begins with 5.128. . . . . . . . . . etc.

So essentially, I get my bro, or some one, in UK, to set Hamachi up on their machine, then tie it down to just them two, by no allowing any others to invite to the new network,
Am I right?
Then I could run LogMeIn, and live stream the BBc, ITV etc?
Am I right?

Gra.

Kinda. I've not

Hamachi creates a VPN between two computers, say yours and your brother's computer. It allows you do share stuff etc as if you're on the same network.
From there, and I've not done this to this extent but it should work if allowed under the free licence, you might be able to set up your brother's machine as proxy.... TBH, it would be easier if your brother's router could handle it. it would be "dummy proof" instead of this way which may or may not work.

Another option would be to use someone like Giganews (http://www.giganews.com/vyprvpn/). For not a lot of money they provide a VPN which is encrypted so no fear of anything. They'll land you in any number of places so you "look" like you're in a certain country.

The other device that may work is a sling box. Worth looking at

Actually, that would be a shed load easier for you...

Back