Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre pressures in snow?

G

Morning All,
I hope that you are enjoying the lovely weather?
Every year at the start of winter I think I should follow Bosnia Jon's
recommendations and get some snow chains, but then forget about it
until I wake up one morning, like this morning to see some snow
outside.
Obviously there is no point ordering some chains now because the snow
will most likely be gone by lunchtime, so looking for other ways to
improve traction, what are the options?
Ideally I would prefer a set of skinny tyres with studs on, but
unfortunately they are illegal over here.
So the other thought is tyre pressures - we drop tyre pressures to
improve traction on sand or mud, so what about with icey snowy
conditions?
I am sure that Jon and Lal will have plenty to contribute, but the snow
will most likely have gone by the time the digest goes out or the US
wakes up ;-(
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift

I've not dropped tire pressure on road tires on road, but do think it would make a difference.
I've done it on my wifes car (crappy Kia Sportage) with hasn't the best tires and its 4x4 don;t work (don't ask).
Putting it at 25psi (down from 32psi) "seemed" to help but only around town driving and not above 45mph
Even with 2-3" on snow here (just regular road tires not AT) I've not had any issues in the snow on my Landcruiser. Now
snow here is 'different' and normally light/fluffy and not the UK/Scottish wet/heavy/sticky snow (don't tell British
Rail that there really is different kinds on snow :)
I do have chains (in my car 4 last 2 months) but again not used them. Likely only use them if get stuck and diffs/low
gears don't get me out or wanna go play in offroad snow and not worth the hassle 2 put on big tires.
Offroading in snow with Simex 33" I've gone down to 12psi. However my tire is quite narrow and most of the guys run
12.5x33/35 and normally 'float' on top whereas I dig down (and hence sometimes get high-centered).
So yah- I'd consider dropping pressure a bit and c how it goes. No fast speeds or very sudden dry stops (at low psi)
If u really want 2 get 'scientific' about it get several pieces of cardboard (old boxes) and roll the truck over it at
different psi (35/30/25/20/15) and then compare the 'footprints' u get. It can be quite an enlightening experience and
really shows how much a difference it makes (sometimes up to 40% more rubber)
Lal
Julian Voelcker wrote:

Back