Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres

As my faithful KZJ passed its MOT yesterday at no cost I want to treat it to a new set of boots. The last lot are eight years and 35,000 miles old and have been great - 31x10.50x15 Kumho Road Venture ATs. They cost me about £60 a corner in 2004. I'm amazed by the internet prices of tyres now - £75 and upwards a corner for remoulds?

I want at least as much off road ability as the Kumhos gave me - pretty good, but nothing like the old Colway muds I once had (but they wore out quite quickly). I'd like them to last 20,000 miles if poss - that's about 5 or 6 years for me these days (the Ford Focus tdci does the day to day honours now, the price of diesel being what it is). So any recommendations? Don't want to spend as much as £400 if poss!

I can hear people pulling up their chairs, popcorn in hand already... but here goes :mrgreen:

Are you looking for 4 tyres or 5 - that has a pretty marked impact on your £400 budget! 15" tyres are generally cheaper than 16" but I imagine the selection is getting quite limited these days as there are fewer and fewer 15" rims in use.

John_McCartney said:
I want at least as much off road ability as the Kumhos gave me
With all due respect, how much off-road ability is this? If you're doing 4000 miles/year, you can probably live with extreme MT remoulds? Hard to comment via the internet without a clearer guide of what you're intended use is. I wouldn't think there are many tyres likely to wear out in <20,000 miles on a 70 though.

Bottom line, at your budget your best bet might be looking out for a 2nd hand set of good quality tyres in that size. Camskills is as good a place to start browsing at what new options are out there.

Cheers,

I can vouch for the Cooper Discovorer STT, Ive had mine nearly 2 years now and they have been great in all conditions. Ive been especially impressesed with them on snow and ice considering they are an MT tyre, also they are very quiet with good road manners for an MT. Those that went to Lincomb can vouch that they go well in mud too! ;) Ive also heard good things about the ST too if you are after something a little less aggressive?

Another vote for the STT's as an all-rounder with excellent on and off road capability here. 40k miles out of a set will be easily possible. Silverline4x4 should be able to get them close to your budget if not within it :thumbup:

If you want something more capable off road in your budget, get Insas!

Jim.

Don't the STTs wear quite badly on road? Think it was Gary who had a gripe with them?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you only use the vehicle in a limited fashion the STTs are probably good. Also look at Mickey ThompsonMTZ and Maxxis Bighorns which are either side of the coopers price-wise.

In 15" I'd look for a 2nd hand set of BFG MUDs too

Although I don't need mega-mileage out of a set I did get bitten with the tyres I had on before the Kumhos. !0,000 miles is not enough. They were Avons - rubbish!

Maxxis Trepadors or Maxxis Creepy crawlies! So quiet on the road!

Crispin said:
Don't the STTs wear quite badly on road?

My front ones wore more on the outside edges but only cos I'm a spirited driver ;) plus I have half a dozen high speed roundabouts on my drive to work. Even so, I've had about 35k miles out of that pair so far and they're still just about usable off road. I replaced the rears some time ago and kept them as spares with decent tread so can't comment on how they have worn, I will be replacing the fronts this summer in time for Morocco in October.

Jim.

Can't fault BFGoodrich All Terrains, good road holding, hold there own off road, and they seem to last for ever!

Back