Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres

Lewis07

Thinking of a new set and wondered whether to stick with Dunlops or try something else? Any recommendations?

Have a look in the tyres section - lots of alternatives. Anything but Dunlops though - you have no idea how rubbish they are until you put on something better.

General Grabber or Ccoper or BF Goodrich are all good ...

For road tyres I like bridgestones
for off road tyres I like BFG s

But I agree with Gary the Dunlop's in my experience were dire and scared me in the wet

Last edited:
Thanks chaps. I was thinking Bridgestones as an alternative to the Dunlops but having checked the tread depth there is actually 7mm left all round so would be a bit extravagant to swap right this minute. Have to stay with the Dunlops for a while longer I'm afraid. :(

When you do go to change, you should decide what You want from a tyre before deciding what tyre you buy. One tyre cannot be all things to all people. Thats why there are multiple thread patterns, compounds, ratings, etc. The tyre that works great in the mud won't necessarily stop on a wet Tarmac road.

When the Dunlops wear out, I would change them for something else. I had grabbers on which were brilliant. Did about 45k on them and they still perfectly legal. Downside is that they are slightly noisier than the Dunlops.

If you're not going to do any sort of muddy excursions, I would wait until the Dunlops are worn and not waste them. They're not the best tyre for wear or non-tar grip but they're ok. In the good snow we had a few years ago they struggled a bit on some hills but were not found wanting.

Grabbers or BFGs are better if that is what you want. From a longevity point of view, when my current Bridgstones are worn, I will switch to either grabbers or BFG as they pay for themselves alone in the mega miles you can do with them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I need to replace a full set of Dunlops soon and am looking around. I'm surprised at the negative comments on the Dunlops as I find them good. The rears last 100,000 km and the fronts about half that. I only drive on-road and I only buy top brand so am looking at Bridgestone and Goodyear. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I've a set of 5 Dunlops (used but good tread) here you can have for nowt, if you are anywhere near to Wrexham.

I've a set of 5 Dunlops (used but good tread) here you can have for nowt, if you are anywhere near to Wrexham.
Thanks for the offer but I'm 25 miles from the Mediterranean!

image.png image.png

Back