Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK new for research (wannabe owner)

bigbadjay

Hi guys, thought I'd register mainly because images are not loading but also to find out a little bit more about 80 series landcruisers and what specs/engine levels the UK versions come in.

I have no reason why but i really want an 80 landcruiser.... Got me like a tractor beam, sucked me right in

Ill be on the lookout for a "holy grail" 80 in the coming months, im talking year model, best spec +engine after i work out whats what. Im not too fussed on miles or minor faults/restore, just no rust!

The 80 seems like an ideal truck to get "out there" and have a ball while doing it. I want to make it my own (dad and lad) DIY style which no doubt what most on here do, learning and seeing it all come together.

So Hi

P. S I WILL TRY THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE POSTING :icon-idea:

Welcome along. Who told you you had to have a reason to want an 80? You only have to have a reason once you reach 10 of them. Ha ha.

You will need to give us budget, spec, expectations etc. And a LOCATION in your sidebar really helps us. There is a belting one for sale at the second - look on the ebay section. It might have gone but it's a bit of a Holy Grail. One owner, washed underneath, full dealer service etc. And a very good price. Kinda beige colour though.

Not much on the specs.. Petrol or diesel. Three main UK specs, GS, GX and VX. The basic mechanical spec is very similar. The differences are leather, sunroofs, air con etc. The model changed after 92 with a bit of an upgrade then again in 95 with the 24v engine and manual boxes. People love to advertise them as being rare 24v manuals. It makes us chuckle. If it's and auto 24v then it's an import.

There are some 'sticky' sections about that to look for. They aren't very rusty vehicles but that having been said there are some shockers. We know where all the rusty spots are and non of it it really terminal, just not nice to look at.

Updated.

Yea I've already noticed that about the super rare manuals.... I feel annoyed for you :)

Erm couple of grand budget ill be better off per month soon, final balloon payment for car loan paid off soon.

So generally newer better in the 80? Which is best, turbo diesel, petrol or duel fuel (all V8 of course) manual if newer facelift?

I know they're all capable from stock but id also be looking at tunability of the engine, or even a transplant.

Oh and I would have absolutely no practical reason for owning an 80 or any off roader..... Just want one. They kick ass. Plus the benefit of a big middle finger to the defender crowd

V8? Now that would be rare.

Yes I haven't read the whole lineup offered i thought they did a straight 6...... Obviously not then

I would fancy an auto diesel. VX trim (leathers? Or too early model) mainly for cruise control and goodies.

how is the diesel 12v auto, (assuming earlier diesels are 12 and not 24 or applicable to petrol only) in terms of performance/economy/reliability verses the other 24v/manual 12v/petrol

I like a few red ones I've spotted and also a grey lead type colour. Very nice.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eh? Start again. You said V8. They don't do a Vee at all. The petrol and diesel are all straight 6.

All the 12v and 24v whether auto or manual are good. The 24v is a better set up generally, but neither are rubbish. I have both and love them both. Personally I'd be aiming for a 12v auto around 93, 94 on your criteria, but you'll need more than a couple of grand.

You have to take each car as it comes really. If they were all identical you could set a sliding scale. You have to decide which are you are prepared to give a bit on. Bodywork, interior, mechanicals etc. There's litle mechanical that breaks or can't be fixed really. If you're handy. For me bodywork is a black art and a pain to have fixed but if you know a local body shop .... Interiors can be valeted and bits swapped. Chassis rust is a particular hate of mine and a lot of work, but for an off roader, well does it matter.

You need to look at as many as you can to build up a mental library and be very clear on what you want and what to look out for. For me, it's tidy body, good underneath and an engine that pulls well with little smoke. I can fix the rest. You might be better though aiming higher and getting a better vehicle saving yourself the time and money of doing one up. We can't stop the clock and you are coming to the 80 when the majority on the road are now 20 years old. You are less and less likely to find a gem for peanuts. I think Dan is selling a very nice petrol / lpg on here which has been well looked over by him.

I thought they were all v8 because of that displacement.

What are the autos like?

I've looked at the classifieds mentioned thanks, anywhere near that quality is about right.

Last edited:
Autos are great. They're just like a manual version but you don't have to change gear.

The autos are great really. The manual is good, but when coupled to the monster 24 engine, half the time you end up leaving it in one gear. The torque is huge. The auto genuinely is just a way of not having to change gear. It sound flippant, but it's not. They are the same car, one has a clutch the other doesn't. The manual 24v does give slightly better mpg than the 12v auto but you don't buy these things to save the environment or you bank balance.

Engines and auto boxes are pretty much un burstable but that doesn't mean you won't ever get one with a problem. If it drives well the day you buy it then that's really all you can say. Do they exhibit regular, common faults? No. The early manual boxes do though especially in 1st and second but you can live with them. And they are fixable with money.

Great chris thanks. Is the 12v diesel a turbo or N/A though? .

Id rather a turbo for tunability. Before a proper read through of a power petrol thread im guessing its limited to what you can squeeze out of it (or the turbo diesel). Im not buying one to drag race or massive power by any means but if potential is there, no harm in giving it extra poke for those steep hills.

Blimey BBJ, I thought you said you would use the search button first. All UK 80s are turbo. They all have lockers. They all come with a glove box, wheels and tyres. It might have been easier to post you a Haynes manual ha ha.

All 6 cyl, all turbo yes. Up to 92 they had 15" wheels and smaller brakes. Not crap brakes, just smaller brakes. The GS got steel wheels and velour. The GX got ABS alloys and then the VX got leather. They are all 5 door long wheelbase. There are no SWB 80's. GS didn't get a factory sunroof or AC. My GS does have optional factory fitted AC though. Yay.

Oh should have said in case you haven't read the sticky section, you MUST do the big end bearings on a 12v if they haven't already been done. Don't argue, don't mess about, don't put it off, don't think you can get away with it. Change the BEBs.

Oi I haven't had a proper look through the forum yet! ;) now the basics covered i promise there will be no threads posted by me titled "which tyres", "which springs", "please help" aaand so on.....

Some good reads so far and top adventures very inspiring

So far this thread has been quite entertaining :lol: Fair play to you both!
Did the VX come with a cubby Chris?

Now I'll get my coat, quickly, even though it's 35 C today. :icon-biggrin:

If you want power get a petrol :icon-biggrin: can often find them with lower miles, good condition and cheaper.

Back