Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ummm, forever Toyota Land Cruiser, I think?

Vincent Cam

Country Flag
australia
Hi, my name is Vince and I am new to this site.
Why did I join?
Well because I have read so much s**t posted by guys who really don't know what they are talking about that I felt compelled to join and make a contribution with some basis in fact.

Over the next few days I will post some topics that will rattle some of the Stalwart Toyota Land Cruisers owners of newer models. I will tell you things that your friendly Toyota dealer wont tell you, I will surprise some Land Cruiser owners who have a mechanical background and I will receive a whole lot of flack from pompous as*****s who just like to seem important to their on-line peers. I will also receive flak from from manufacturers and sellers disguising themselves as your peer, 'off-roader'.. Let me say to them in advance, what Melania Trump told the American Press just recently....... I don't care.

First cab of the rank....
AdBlue in your diesel tank..... Not a huge mistake for someone to make especially when the AdBlue bowser is almost identical to the diesel bowser except fot the the size of the delivery hose. Its what you do about it thats important. Like do not start the vehicle and take it to your nearest Toyota Service Centre.

Real life event..... Toyota Land Cruiser LC200 VX. Oddometer reading, 20,000klms. Owner on a caravan holiday.
Serviced in Mildura (Victoria Australia) for 20,000 service. Inadvertently, put 11 lts AddBlue in diesel tank before realising what he did. Had the vehicle transported to the Bendigo Toyota dealership for them to drain the fuel tank. No further mech work was necessary as the engine had not been started.

What the Toyota trained mechanic did..
first, he connected a small suction pump hose attached to a waste tank to the diesel delivery hose adjacent the fuel pump. At this stage the suction pump had been sucking all morning. The mechanic first commenced work at 8.00am. About lunch time, when approached by the owner and asked why he, the mech, did not remove the spare wheel and drain the tank from the tank bung, the mech replied you should not be around here please go back to the admin area. We know what we are doing and you need not be concerned.

If you don't already know what AdBlue is then a very brief explanation is, courtesy if the internet. ...
AdBlue converts harmful NOx from your diesel vehicle exhaust into harmless nitrogen and steam, therefore considerably reducing the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) that are a major source of atmospheric pollution.

If you don't already know the purpose of AdBlue is....
"SCR" is the name of a post-combustion technology treatment for diesel vehicles, which allows them to reduce their emissions of NOx (nitrogen oxides). SCR stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction. This technology requires the use of a reagent called AdBlue.

Most importantly, AdBlue does not blend with diesel as it is like water. Infact the largest component of AdBlue is water which is mixed with Urea. Neither will mix with diesel in the tank and due to the specific gravity of Adblue it will lie at the bottom of the diesel fuel tank while the diesel floats on top of it.

Now back to the Bendigo Toyota Dealership method of dealing with the problem. Remember, this guy is Toyota trained mechanic as the owner was constantly advised. The fuel pick up in the tank is located up from the bottom of the tank about 20mm or so. Didn't the mech know this. Didn't he know that by sucking the fuel out in the manner that was used would result in leaving a 20mm layer of AdBlue in the tank. When the owner looked up the AdBble on the internet on his phone he alerted the admin people at the service desk and was again told not to worry the mechanics were not internet trained they were Toyota trained.

About 5.00 pm the owner was given his account which was paid and he received the keys to his vehicle. He was told that he would need to drive directly accross the road from the dealership service centre to the BP fuel station and fill up with diesel as they had only put enough in to start and service the it. He was also advised to ignore the dash light showing that there was water in the fuel and to idnore the loud busser noise associated with the dash light. The owner objected but was told all will be ok and the dash light would extinguish over the next 40 to 50 klms.

The owner filled up the vehicle with diesel paid for it and drove approximately 50 metres up the road when the Toyota gave a shudder of death and stalled in the middle of Bendigo prime-time traffic.

Toyota were called and luckily the service manager had not left for the day as it was after knock of time. The service manager arranged for the same mechanic to attend at the vehicle to get the owner on his way. When the mech arrived he pumped the fuel at fuel filter and attempted to start the Land Cruiser. It wouldnt start so he unhooked a hose and pumped the filter and what seemed like water gushed out of the hose. Uhmm, water the mech muttered. The mech arranged for the car to be transported to the service centre and the owner was informed by the service manager after deliberation with the mech that I would need to leave the vehicle at the service centre all week en as they did not work on Saturdays, and it was late Friday evening.

So now the Land Cruiser sat out in the open in the dealership yard all weekend with highly corrosive Urea (AdBlue) in the fuel system. It does not take a very talented person to realise that the whole of the fuel system was going to have to be repalced including the fuel tank, fuel lines, filters and the fuel pump including all associated fittigs.

What did Bendigo Toyota do, well they kindly supplied a new replacement vehicle similar to the one that the TOYOTA TRAINED MECHANICS stuffed up.

Hope Toyota better train its people in futue.

Next Post will be enlightnment on the what can happen to a diesel motor when off-roading, simply called 'DUSTED'. This will be a must read for all Toyoya Land Cruiser owners. Look it up in posts linked to my name Vincent Cam.

I think there’s plenty of horror stories told (and to come) of our “friendly Toyota Dealers” f**k-ups.

One of the reasons this forum is so popular is because it promotes thought, common sense and above all, self maintenance, wherever possible.

Many of the LCs on here (and many of their owners) are getting on in years (speaking for myself and truck of course :lol:) and even though I get much of my work done at a service workshop, I chose them because their mechanics are LC enthusiasts themselves, and they know what’s what, and they have a common sense approach to the work they do.

Interesting story though Vincent, and I’m already looking forward to the next installment.

Welcome to the forum BTW, this should be interesting....

Last edited:
Why did I join?
Well because I have read so much s**t posted by guys who really don't know what they are talking about that I felt compelled to join and make a contribution with some basis in fact.

Over the next few days I will post some topics that will rattle some of the Stalwart Toyota Land Cruisers owners of newer models. I will tell you things that your friendly Toyota dealer wont tell you, I will surprise some Land Cruiser owners who have a mechanical background and I will receive a whole lot of flack from pompous as*****s who just like to seem important to their on-line peers. I will also receive flak from from manufacturers and sellers disguising themselves as your peer, 'off-roader'.. Let me say to them in advance, what Melania Trump told the American Press just recently....... I don't care.

First cab of the rank....
AdBlue in your diesel tank..... Not a huge mistake for someone to make especially when the AdBlue bowser is almost identical to the diesel bowser except fot the the size of the delivery hose. Its what you do about it thats important. Like do not start the vehicle and take it to your nearest Toyota Service Centre.

Real life event..... Toyota Land Cruiser LC200 VX. Oddometer reading, 20,000klms. Owner on a caravan holiday.
Serviced in Mildura (Victoria Australia) for 20,000 service. Inadvertently, put 11 lts AddBlue in diesel tank before realising what he did. Had the vehicle transported to the Bendigo Toyota dealership for them to drain the fuel tank. No further mech work was necessary as the engine had not been started.

What the Toyota trained mechanic did..
first, he connected a small suction pump hose attached to a waste tank to the diesel delivery hose adjacent the fuel pump. At this stage the suction pump had been sucking all morning. The mechanic first commenced work at 8.00am. About lunch time, when approached by the owner and asked why he, the mech, did not remove the spare wheel and drain the tank from the tank bung, the mech replied you should not be around here please go back to the admin area. We know what we are doing and you need not be concerned.

If you don't already know what AdBlue is then a very brief explanation is, courtesy if the internet. ...
AdBlue converts harmful NOx from your diesel vehicle exhaust into harmless nitrogen and steam, therefore considerably reducing the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) that are a major source of atmospheric pollution.

If you don't already know the purpose of AdBlue is....
"SCR" is the name of a post-combustion technology treatment for diesel vehicles, which allows them to reduce their emissions of NOx (nitrogen oxides). SCR stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction. This technology requires the use of a reagent called AdBlue.

Most importantly, AdBlue does not blend with diesel as it is like water. Infact the largest component of AdBlue is water which is mixed with Urea. Neither will mix with diesel in the tank and due to the specific gravity of Adblue it will lie at the bottom of the diesel fuel tank while the diesel floats on top of it.

Now back to the Bendigo Toyota Dealership method of dealing with the problem. Remember, this guy is Toyota trained mechanic as the owner was constantly advised. The fuel pick up in the tank is located up from the bottom of the tank about 20mm or so. Didn't the mech know this. Didn't he know that by sucking the fuel out in the manner that was used would result in leaving a 20mm layer of AdBlue in the tank. When the owner looked up the AdBble on the internet on his phone he alerted the admin people at the service desk and was again told not to worry the mechanics were not internet trained they were Toyota trained.

About 5.00 pm the owner was given his account which was paid and he received the keys to his vehicle. He was told that he would need to drive directly accross the road from the dealership service centre to the BP fuel station and fill up with diesel as they had only put enough in to start and service the it. He was also advised to ignore the dash light showing that there was water in the fuel and to idnore the loud busser noise associated with the dash light. The owner objected but was told all will be ok and the dash light would extinguish over the next 40 to 50 klms.

The owner filled up the vehicle with diesel paid for it and drove approximately 50 metres up the road when the Toyota gave a shudder of death and stalled in the middle of Bendigo prime-time traffic.

Toyota were called and luckily the service manager had not left for the day as it was after knock of time. The service manager arranged for the same mechanic to attend at the vehicle to get the owner on his way. When the mech arrived he pumped the fuel at fuel filter and attempted to start the Land Cruiser. It wouldnt start so he unhooked a hose and pumped the filter and what seemed like water gushed out of the hose. Uhmm, water the mech muttered. The mech arranged for the car to be transported to the service centre and the owner was informed by the service manager after deliberation with the mech that I would need to leave the vehicle at the service centre all week en as they did not work on Saturdays, and it was late Friday evening.

So now the Land Cruiser sat out in the open in the dealership yard all weekend with highly corrosive Urea (AdBlue) in the fuel system. It does not take a very talented person to realise that the whole of the fuel system was going to have to be repalced including the fuel tank, fuel lines, filters and the fuel pump including all associated fittigs.

What did Bendigo Toyota do, well they kindly supplied a new replacement vehicle similar to the one that the TOYOTA TRAINED MECHANICS stuffed up.

Hope Toyota better train its people in futue.

Next Post will be enlightnment on the what can happen to a diesel motor when off-roading, simply called 'DUSTED'. This will be a must read for all Toyoya Land Cruiser owners. Look it up in posts linked to my name Vincent Cam.
Erm! welcome.. Do you mean shit posted by guys on this site..? Hope not.!! Again Welcome.

Why did I join?

So Vincent, why should we take more notice of you than anyone else who posts advice on the internet?

Welcome. I look forward to your contribution, it would be nice to understand where you're coming from though, and why join now?

Hi Vincent and welcome to the forum. Quite an opener you have there!

Its hard to know who you're referring to in your opening 2 paragraphs??

You'll find this forum really friendly and full of knowledgable people. Its always good to hear from new people and to hear differing views on things, but please be respectful.

Looking forward to your next instalment.

......oh are we love photos, so post up some photos of your truck for us.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome Vince. I'm going to enjoy your post I think telling it as it is. If your going to comment on any "experts on an owner club site" can you PLEASE name and shame I would like to see them eat S**T cos some owners posts are ripped a part or ignored but they seem good people. do your best.

Hi and welcome Vince. I'm going to enjoy your post I think telling it as it is. If your going to comment on any "experts on an owner club site" can you PLEASE name and shame I would like to see them eat S**T cos some owners posts are ripped a part or ignored but they seem good people. do your best.
???????????????????

Looks like its that time of the month again!!!

Thank to all the members putting out the welcome matt. I much appreciate it.

May I answer a response from 'Animal Mother' who asks why should I be listened to over any other member and says he/she would like to know where I am coming from.
'Animal Mother' I am not seeking any recognition and you have every right to take on-board what I say or leave it. I will only write an article if I believe it can help someone interpolate the information I write into their own experience. I will not give mechanical advice as I am not a consultant or a mechanic. I am however an engineer and a long time Land Cruiser owner. I do love my land Cruiser but recently I have come to know that the Land Cruiser is not the indestructible, do anything, go anywhere machine I one thought, but that does not mean I am anti Toyota Land Cruiser. in fact just the opposite, I believe it is one of the best choices of off-road vehicles for hard work and towing a caravan/boat etc. As to your question ..."why join now", well let me give you just one example.

I clicked on to the site's forum page yesterday just whiling away time and I read a few articles posted by members on cheap Chinese snorkels vs the more expensive brand name snorkel that I am sure you are familiar with. The theme of the contributions went along the lines that its ok to use cheaper snorkels if you are not doing any serious work but only use the more expensive unit if you expect to do hard off-road work and deep water crossings. One article referred to the use of the expensive unit only, in very deep water.

Let me just say that I am not an expert on plastics but I do know that polyethylene is polyethylene. The snorkel stack is raised to a level above the air filter which looks as aesthetically pleasing as it can and where it is thought it will induct clean air into the filter. There have been some issues with intermittent vibration caused by the snorkel based on the harmonics of the design but these issues can be overcome. The snorkel also needs to, as best it can, keep driven water from entering into the filter.

There were replies which suggested you get what you pay for and that the Brand Name unit was the result of much design and testing etc. etc. This defence of the more expensive brand name unit seemed to me to be structured and written by representatives of the product, however, I do believe that a snorkel is a very important option if you do off-road work, but not water crossing. The recommended maximum water height that a Land Cruiser should traverse is 700mm. This is well below the level of the air cleaner so the snorkel is not a water crossing aid. The reason for keeping to water levels that do not exceed 700mm is the Turbos. The turbos have mounted on them a Turbo Actuator Stepper Motor. There is no dump valve on a Land Cruiser turbo so the stepper motors regulate the turbo vane angles to affect boost control. These stepper motors have a small vertical slit at the base where they are mounted on to the turbo. The stepper motors are not water proof and if water enters into the body of the motor through these slits it can destroy the electrics of the stepper motors. This is not a thing you would want to do on a late model Land Cruiser as to remove the off-side turbo to get to the stepper motor for replacement you have to remove the engine, quite an expensive job. So, the height of the stepper motor is within the recommended 700mm max height of water and thus is not a function of the snorkel. Now a more knowledgeable person than I could further articulate the pros and cons of stepper motors and snorkels but I am of a personal opinion that the main feature of a snorkel ought to be the restriction of entry of driven water.

I will now go on to explain why I believe a snorkel plays a very important role in the health of the Land Cruiser diesel engine in a new post entitled "DUSTED" if you have any interest please go to that post.

WTF? I have read your posts Kiera and members replies, and I can honestly say all replies to your posts have been polite friendly and courteous, I can't understanding your agreeing with someone who has posted on this site once and been disrespectful and condescending to members of this forum, don't get where your coming from.

Well I have read a lot on here and yes there are some good guys but on the other hand there are some twats so lets hear about all and see who is who. more fun don't you think.

Well I have read a lot on here and yes there are some good guys but on the other hand there are some twats so lets hear about all and see who is who. more fun don't you think.
Well it looks like good old Vince has got you all just where he wants you.. Hes laid the corn. this will be my last comment on this thread.. it seems to be spoiling what I considered a friendly group... good luck with it.

Well it looks like good old Vince has got you all just where he wants you.. Hes laid the corn. this will be my last comment on this thread.. it seems to be spoiling what I considered a friendly group... good luck with it.

:thumbup:

I've seen this on other forums. While the idea might have been well intentioned, the tone and insistent nature of the posts appears somewhat confrontational as a new member. It reads like this.. "I know more about this than all of you and I'm going to sort it all out with my extensive knowledge"

Now that might not be the intention, but it is how it is perceived. I also don't think it's helpful or healthy for anyone to sink to the levels of throwing abuse (tw@t for example). One reason I love this forum is the friendly nature and helpful disposition of the vast majority of members. Do we know everything? Nope, but we're certainly not a bunch of idiots blindly throwing expensive bits at our trucks claiming them to be great.

Perhaps read the forum a bit first, and you'll see how much effort, research, skill, and sometimes blind luck goes into keeping these things at the top of their game.

#overandout

Hi Keira,
I hope you're well.................. how's your gearbox issue? many of us were concerned about that but [to my knowledge....] you never told us the outcome.......................................
Possibly you ought to sel you LC - buy a Land Rover and join "Landyzone" I think it's exactly the forum for you. Kind regards.......................

Wow, What have I landed myself into? There is a lot of tension out there. Prior to joining this group I had only read a few Posts/Replies some of which were wrong in fact, and some written by, whom I believed to be, very probabley product or financially biased. But this is a real cat session.

To White 90, haven't got a clue what you are talking about and I don' care so I wont enquire farther.

To Higgy, your referenece that I have got 'them' all where I want them. All I did Higgy was to post a thread which I thought may be helpful to others. The only gripe I had with anyone was that against the dealership I wrote about who was supposed to know it all but had let me down terribly. I have no sinister plan in mind and I am much too old to get involved in petty scraps between fueding 'kids on the block'. Not that you or others may care, and not that I want you to care but I have better things to do that be here. But thanks for your input anyway.

To Bob, I think you must be Irish Bob. That opening paragraph of yours could only have been written by an Irish psychic - but your wrong and I don't care either way.

To Waldamar, Ooohh, I don't think you like Keira.

To any other would-be-judge, I really don't care, hope you all have a healthy and wise futue, free from any Toyota problems that you as a group can't solve and try to get a life. Best regards.

Back