Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Underbody protection, transfer case

Now't like that under a/my '94 auto...

I feel cheated & now must make something to make up for it!!!

I'll try and whip my gearbox plate off my auto tomorrow and compare. At first pass, yours looks pretty similar to mine :cool:

I can post it if you want, then at least you have a pattern for the bolts :cool: If you make a another plate it means i'll have to get the gas out to remove that broken bolt :(

The bolts on the new guard need to go this way so they don't scrape the ground, also, after the amount of grass i had to remove today, the smoother the better.

Paul said:
The bolts on the new guard need to go this way so they don't scrape the ground, also, after the amount of grass i had to remove today, the smoother the better.
Agreed - I did the same orientation for the same reason. A bit of scraping on the bolt head is not a big deal but wrecking the thread will make removal quite challenging.

Paul said:
I can post it if you want
Lets meet up on your way to West Coast...

Paul said:
then at least you have a pattern for the bolts
I can see if the fixings are in the chassis I have & therefore how suitable they are for older 80's...

Paul said:
If you make a another plate it means i'll have to get the gas out to remove that broken bolt
:lol: :lol:

Paul said:
The bolts on the new guard need to go this way so they don't scrape the ground
Yup, thats the way nature (WTF) intended...

Paul said:
the smoother the better
If I hadn't used slots underneath, I could have countersunk the holes in the guard plate for flush bolts but wasn't brave enough on everyone's trucks being the same... Machining like that pushes costs up enormously...

:idea: I wonder if laser cutting can do angled edges....

The west coast trip has had to postponed for a while :(

I think the slotted holes are absolutly fine, with countersinking there is a bit of strength lost with the thickness and everyones dimensions are going to be different.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
The west coast trip has had to postponed for a while
Oh... Thats a blow... Que pasa?

Paul said:
I think the slotted holes are absolutly fine
Will leave well alone in that case :)

If you want to post your old guards up, that'd be great - that will reduce design/fiddle 'n phaff time considerably Paul.

I'll have to have a look under MUX & see what other fixing holes are around to pick up on - it'd be good to get a 'generic' plate knocked together.

What would you like to look at for this one? Maybe aloominum rather than mild steel?

the problem with a generic plate gav is that there will be about a 100mm gap between the plate and the gearbox cross member, that's assuming the fixing holes are in the same place on the auto and manual.

Sorry, should have expanded that to 'two generic' plates :oops:

I'm sure the basics will be very similar - from the foray into guard design so far, the kit we have already knocked up between us seems to fit both gearbox types & a wide range of trucks ages (with various amounts of trimmings etc etc to OEM bits...)

If one needs to be cut a bit snugger than the other then that can be accommodated with ease :)

It would be handy to get a set of the later model guards to see if they retro fit to the older models as Paul has (sort of ;) ) offered

Damn, forgot to take the gearbox plate off today - the bucketing rain was a little off-putting and a leaking drain from the upstairs bathroom coming through the kitchen ceiling meant that I was doing other things :o

I'd be happy to volunteer my plate as a template if Paul can't do it or if the auto plate is different.

Cheers,

I'll see about getting it posted to if you want.

By the way, i seem to have a spare bash plate kit sitting here on the floor :o

Paul said:
i seem to have a spare bash plate kit sitting here on the floor
Quoi??? Who is missing one???

Paul said:
I'll see about getting it posted to if you want.
Lets sort out the above first ;-)

What do you have? A complete kit? Plate, bracket & bolts or what???

I believe it is Lorins, thought about adapting it as a steering guard ;)

Apologies Paul, yeh it's mine. Sort of forgot about it as I contemplated burning the truck out of anger at it sprouting a new oil leak everytime I drive it :x

Message sent.

Thanks Gav. Even helped me fit it at the services on the M56. Top man.

No probs Ade - glad it was a nice sunny evening for us unlike last time ;-)

Well thats the last plate handed over to Lorin :cool:

Back