Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Underbody protection, transfer case

Sounds good to me :)
off to the Island this weekend for a piss up, but next weekend could be good, i could fire up the bbq if people want to come round :cool:

No snags, if Ecky gets Pauls kit, i'll pick it up next week and deliver for the cost of a burger!

Les,

when you collect your bits from Andrew, would you mind picking up my bolts and the missing bracket bit please, then I could arrange to collect them fom you.

ta
Andy

Ecky and Tommo, could my kit hitch a ride with Paul's? I could then collect from Paul as I think he's the closest to me... :D

Right.....if I have this correct Andrew, I need to collect two full kits from you and two sets of bolts/mounting plates.

Andy, we will sort something out re collection.

Paul, BBQ sounds good if it is Saturday late afternoon ish. I am coming down to Tommo's now at the weekend to do his motor.
That way we can sort you and Lorin at the same time.

Just got to sort collection with Andrew now :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys, that all sounds fine - will make a plan to meet up with Les next week and do the hand-over.

Lorin, I presume you haven't been in touch with Jim/Pugwash? I am planning to meet up with him to pass on his kit in the next week or 2. I don't know if he's carrying on then to Bournemouth but he might be? If it suits you better to get the delivery via Les/Tommo etc (which might be sooner too!) then all fine by me ;)

Sorry for the slow response - fired up the braai/bbq early and enjoyed the sunshine instead of getting online last night :mrgreen:

Gavlad said:
Chaps, has anyone managed to fit one of these kits yet?
Done this morning! Pretty straight-forward to do. The biggest job was getting Lincomb cement out of the threaded holes in the cross-members.

For those people with newer 80s that have the plastic gear-box and t/case guards, you will need to remove both the t/case guard and the back bolts holding the g/box guard. After fitting the new bashplate, I re-fitted one of the 2 rear bolts of the gearbox guard just so the I could keep it on. While it's not as strong as a steel one, it's quite thick, springy plastic so does provide some protection to the g/box. Of course, this may only apply to autos...

One other observation on the new bashplate versus the OEM plastic guard - the bashplate is much smaller in area and protects the t/case along its full length. The OEM guard though is mounted like a cross-member and attaches to both chassis rails. I wonder whether the best/strongest solution wouldn't be to have a bashplate copying the OEM guard and having a rearwards extension to afford the t/case more protection than the OEM guard :idea: You could then mount this bashplate on both chassis rails and the cross-member, which would make it very secure and would make the bracket unnecessary. The only downside I can see is that it would add some weight on the current set-up.

I guess if anyone is interested I could take some pics of the OEM guard and the new bashplates superimposed to describe what I mean?

Cheers,

Well done Andy!!! Glad (AKA releived!!!) to hear it fits ok. Interesting comments too.

Andrew Prince said:
the bashplate is much smaller in area
This is a comparison photo between the new bashguard & the one fitted to my '94 truck:

29012010749.jpg

They must've changed things around significantly on later models...

I did think about making a support that spanned the chassis rails & still can if folk want one but I'm sure this will be effective enough for all but the most extreme terrain/treatment...

One fitted, 'x' to go!!!

The Slee ones are definately stronger than you'll ever need ;) I wouldn't worry about adding extra cross members.

Jon Wildsmith said:
The Slee ones are definately stronger than you'll ever need ;) I wouldn't worry about adding extra cross members.
Not disputing that at all, Jon. But the Slee/Gavlad plates don't fit with the OEM g/box plate. IMHO the later OEM plates actually isn't a bad design, it's just the material that's the weakness. The Slee leading lip that curves up infront of the cross-member interferes with the g/box plate. This curve isn't really needed and certainly wouldn't be required if the plate was secured to the chassis rails too.
If the question comes down to what does one need, the t/case is not the most vulnerable bit on the underside of an 80, and the g/box is more exposed so even the OEM plate is helpful there. A plate secured to the cross-member and chassis rails would be the strongest solution of all and could possibly accommodate the OEM g/box plate or a more robust after-market one.

Andrew Prince said:
If the question comes down to what does one need, the t/case is not the most vulnerable bit on the underside of an 80, and the g/box is more exposed so even the OEM plate is helpful there.

The manual gearbox must hang down much further than the auto then? On an auto the T-case is the most vulnerable to damage because it comes much lower down and is roughly central, so when you exceed the trucks break over angle it's the T-case that takes the hit not the gearbox. Hit my T-case a few times before I fitted a Slee plate, never touched the (auto) gearbox. Anything is possible including taking out the engine sump :shock:

Andy, Paul and Lorin

You'll be pleased to know that I met up with Andrew today and your gear has got a bit further south, as in Crawley.

Andy

PM me and we will sort your bolts and plate out.

Well Gav, that's mine fitted and it really looks the business, thank you.

I met Andy tonight and handed over his missing bits. A man with some excellent anicdotes of his trips to Egypt etc.
I am seriously jelous of his life but I'll get there eventually.
Andy's truck is testement to the strength of the 80 with sand in every orfice to show it's been there and done it.

Brill Les - glad you like :) I'm sure it'll do its job admirably having watched the vids of the last Plain trip - good product testing anyhoo ;-)

Were you able to persuade Andy to post a 'biography' of his truck then???

Cheers Les
Gav

Fitted my plate this evening (thanks Les for collecting the bolts & meeting up with me), a real easy job, literally 10 mins!

thanks to the superb R & D department (Gav)

Thanks a lot everyone, very impressed with it.

Now what was that about steering guards............................................????

Andy

Come on R&D!!! Gerron with it yer lazy get!!!

Oh, sorry... Understood... Be right back... :oops:

Cheers Andy - glad you like ;-) Bring on them rocks!!!

[OT] Hmm Les, looks like you might have the dreaded rear output shaft oil leak going on there from the t/case :?
Have you been getting a bit of a drip under your 80 from it? Might be worth checking the t/case oil level?
I have this same problem btw - need to get the t/case extension off and replace the oil seal and output bearing some time :roll: Rob has also dealt with this recently.

PS: Are you going to trim the gearbox plastic bashplate or leave it as is with the one bolt missing? (As I've done)

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
[OT] Hmm Les, looks like you might have the dreaded rear output shaft oil leak going on there from the t/case :?
Have you been getting a bit of a drip under your 80 from it? Might be worth checking the t/case oil level?
I have this same problem btw - need to get the t/case extension off and replace the oil seal and output bearing some time :roll: Rob has also dealt with this recently.

PS: Are you going to trim the gearbox plastic bashplate or leave it as is with the one bolt missing? (As I've done)

Cheers,

7 bl**dy minutes :lol:
I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot the leak. It's only extremely slight at the moment with no visible sign of the level dropping. Planned for a couple of months time as finances allow together with the dreaded BEBs but at the moment I can't afford the time to take it off the road.
Not sure about the plastic plate yet, I have done the same as you with three bolts for now and I may just leave it at that and see how it goes. I could take the angle grinder to the front lip of Gav's plate but that seems like sacrilege somehow :!: :!: :!:

Back