Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Updating Navigation Software??

Va PANZUR

Country Flag
united_states
My '02 100 Series is still guided by the original software installed when I bought her.

Question - I see CD's online for sale, with updated maps/software for my vehicle, but I wanted to know if I needed to buy and install all of the previous navigation software versions, and work my way to the present; or can I just simply "leap ahead" and install 2016's software right on top of 2002?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, answers.

Curious too on how to update the old software like that. If no one chimes in, try a dealer.

Posed the same question to Toyota.com via their customer service forum. After waiting 48 hrs for a reply they suggested that I check with a local Toyota dealership for help/service... Disappointing since Toyota has been very helpful in providing factual/understandable answers to previous "silly" questions.

Ebay is looking better and better to obtain software CDs for my beloved Land Cruiser!

What model of Navigation system is in there. I don't have the Toyota system however in my experience updates tend to be the map only, they don't change the underlying software so a new cd can just be used without needing to go through all the previous stages. Certainly on my Pioneer system that is the case and a previous Clarion DVD based system that was also the case.

Just to add. I had a TNS500 navigation system in my old 80 series (from a 2001 100 series) and upgrading that was just a case of putting in the latest CD, no upgrade procedure to go through - new cd, switch it on and away you go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It should be under the driver's seat - accessed from the rear I believe - on my 80 I had it in the centre console but the default position on the 100 is under the seat.

I believe (if memory serves right) that the Nav CD is housed under the front passenger seat.
That would make sence, the UK ones are under the drivers seat and the ones in the states under the same
seat but they have moved the steering wheel !
And they are not CD's they are DVD's

Depends on the model - on the TNS500 I believe it is a CD ROM not a DVD, I believe on the TNS510 it is a DVD.

Depends on the model - on the TNS500 I believe it is a CD ROM not a DVD, I believe on the TNS510 it is a DVD.

Fair comment, I have had my car from new and still do not know which model of sat-nav but I did buy
a new disc after a couple of years and it was a DVD as it said on it.

But at the price they charge just for the disc its cheaper to buy a Tomtom so that's what I use.

Steve.

Can't agree more, plus at least for the TNS500 it's a bit old hat and the signal strength from the Antenna is not all that. When I got my 100 I replaced the aftermarket Clarion system with a Pioneer AVIC-HD1BT which is a great system and also has a built in hard drive for the Navigation and also music storage (I currently have 230+ albums stored on it which saves having the CD stacker and means my Kenwood VHF Transceiver goes where the stacker went in the centre console. Mind you the DVD map updates for that system are £125 themselves so not cheap either.

Evening,
Has anyone tried and installed the 2012 Toyota Generation 1 Sat Nav Update Disc?
Does that give you now the postcode entering capability?

Replace the whole thing with a Chinese double din unit running igo primo..

Evening,
Has anyone tried and installed the 2012 Toyota Generation 1 Sat Nav Update Disc?
Does that give you now the postcode entering capability?
I have just updated mine to a 2012 map from the original (I have a late 2003) and it works great.
Still no postcode option though :disappointed:

Any idea if the sat Toyo Satnav that's being discussed is the same as the 2001 50th Anni type? The unit is part number 86841-47030 (ToyoDIY) and it's located under the driver's seat??

If it is, I'd appreciate an Ebay link.

Back