Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VED rates, new Highway Code rules, victim status for cyclists.....

Odin 8

Supporter
Country Flag
england
I started this thread on Victim Status & certain road users paying more VED than others, and I am moaning & beefing..

So will come back to where I started with more clarity. We all need to use the roads, equally.

We are all equal under the law and we used to apply Magna Carta innocent till proven guilty after an adversarial trial. Applying victim Status before any accident takes place is wrong.
'We are all equal under the law'. Not anymore because there are too many examples where certain parties and individuals are more equal than others.
If one pays more then one should be entitled to more. But the system now gives more to its 'darlings', or victims, or electric vehicles at the expense of others (Toyota Landcruiser drivers as an example pay more).

As for over crowding. We live in the most over crowded country in the world importing foreign cultures that do not understand or care about ours law. I see this example daily living in a Northern Town. The more expensive marquee of your car then the better you are, motorbikes and cyclist been of the lower echelons.

{Content removed by moderator}

Last edited by a moderator:

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Especially in this cold weather.... The Deafening Knock, Knock, Clang, Clanging,.... Can be heard through out the Land... And by the time you've fiddled with your SCV's ..... Its too Late anyway... :lol: ..... Sorry Karl, But you did leave yourself Open.. :thumbup:

Shayne

Guru
I been wondering how motorbikes figure into this whole rant . In my experience they are always to blame when some ^*^*^*^* pulls out in front of them , cuts them off or causes them to crash and usually suffer severe injury , if they survive .

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Rob, you say in an earlier posts about cost and congestion, and attribute that in part to hold ups waiting to pass cyclists riding 2 abreast, in another post you say you and your pals ride 2 abreast, and in another post being less than pedantic with a lady complaining about you riding 2 abreast.?
And 9000 miles ?? Hmmm..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Good Point Shayne.. Iv had a few near misses and had some serious Prangs.... When i was a young lad i would say 60% of near misses would be my fault, Because im young and unbreakable, Head Down arse up attitude,... But now im old, Im still young at heart and stupid, But iv got the Missus on the back, so i plod about at my 60 yr old Pace, But it makes no difference, You still get people pulling out on you, / cutting you up on roundabouts / Driving on the wrong side of the road is a Big one round Dover/ South East area... I dont think it makes any difference weather im on the Bike or in the Truck.... THEY! are out there, Its just luck of the Draw.... But the concentration level when im on the Bike is exhausting sometimes....... Most Bike accidents are the Biker going too Fast.. If they were going a bit slower, Half the time it could be avoided........... Mindset should be " Everyone else is an Idiot"............... And yes sometimes me :wtf:

Last edited:

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Oh, great. Another Northern racist thread................ Mmmm! I did think, "Oh No, Here we go again"

TonyP

Super Moderator
Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Whilst this is an exciting "debate" I remind you all to stick to the forum principals. Any further discriminatory, racist etc comments I'll ban the individual and lock the thread.

I have better things to do with my time

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Rob, you say in an earlier posts about cost and congestion, and attribute that in part to hold ups waiting to pass cyclists riding 2 abreast, in another post you say you and your pals ride 2 abreast, and in another post being less than pedantic with a lady complaining about you riding 2 abreast.?
And 9000 miles ?? Hmmm
I was being facetious about the time spent waiting behind cyclists. I'm sure someone can quantify that one time they were held up more behind cyclists, than in a queue of traffic turning, or waiting to get onto a rounabout, but I don't believe that is typical. Motor vehicles cause far more congestion. They're also good at overtaking my bicycle and immediately stopping because they can't get round a parked car, or they want to turn left. That's not all, or even the majority of cars of course. In fact I think more people make considerate, space aware overtakes than don't, although it's quite a small majority.

I do ride 2 abreast where it's reasonable to do so. I like chatting to my companion as much on my bike as in my car so why shouldn't I, it's only "fair". That said I don't want to give anyone a chance to dangerous pass me, see earlier post about self-preservation being a great enabler of reponsibility. If a car is held up for more than a few seconds, and the road is wide enough for them to pass us safely when riding single file we will *always* move across. Hold up a car for 20 seconds, honestly it doesn't concern me. It's give and take. I get held up multiple times by cars on every ride, but the roads are shared, and I'm happy to share with them.

Not sure what the hmm is for? You don't believe I ride 9000 miles a year? Or you are concerned I ride 9000 miles 2 abreast? My guess is 10% of that time maximum is 2 abreast, probably way less I also ride the least number of miles of my regular riding friends. A few did 13000+ last year. I ride 10-12 hours a week, if you want to do the maths. It's really not a big number for a keen cyclist.

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
I've seen the comment "UK is the most overcrowded country in the world" or similar, made here and on other forums, many times.

This is just absolute rubbish, a so called "fact" that keeps getting trotted out by the usual suspects with their usual agendas. (Or people repeating the "fact" that they've heard elsewhere out of ignorance.)

Yes, the UK is relatively crowded and has a high population density. However it's not even in the top 50 countries for population density. Even if you disregard some of the smaller countries/populations and take a population of 1m as minimum, the UK still doesn't make the top 20!

For example, Bangladesh has 3 times the population and 4 times the population density of the UK.

The UK is not even the most "overcrowded" country in Europe - Netherlands and Belgium are both ahead by a significant margin.

Anyway, don't let real facts get in the way of a good narrative - so crack on. :thumbup:

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Regards cycling I commute on a bike and apart from a Saturday every 4 weeks you can count on 1 hand how often I drive to work.
Rain, shine, snow, ice the lot I just swap bikes. 50% of the route is cycle path or lane, some of which isn't in a great condition.
I'm around 2 miles each way and takes no time at all, Don't go through red lights, or cut down past cars, I use lights that don't flash or too bright to dazzle, wear hi viz etc ( you can keep the lycra though haha)
Can easily ride at 30mph.
I used to commute regularly 19 miles each way and it was quicker by bike, car was 24 miles of traffic.

I've been knocked off before by a driver on their phone! My insurance (yes a policy for my bikes) dealt with it. Had some near misses too.
I also cycle for leisure. On some narrow roads I'll pull over if cars are struggling to pass, taught my kids the same.

I own cars which I pay VED, insurance, maintenance etc on, one is £30 a year and whatever the 80 is!
Had company cars which cost.

Do I think drivers need to be accountable when it comes to more vulnerable users...YES.... provided the other user hasn't done something to test natural selection.

Do I think cyclists should have some sort of insurance.... YES....above a certain age and its really not that expensive.

As for registration, license etc just wouldn't be possible. Would a 3year old be expected to take a test? Sorry you can have a bike at 17 if you can get a test booked

Odin 8

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Roads.... I walk, hike, ride a bike, ex motorcyclist, HGV licence, own several agricultural tractors and implements that crawl along the road slowly, I like the hay baler best as that makes a real Farmer Palmer of me. I pull the longest caravan on a single axle possible (18ft), Ifor Williams 3500kg trailer for ploughing matches, regular bus PSV user and the wife is an equestrian & motor cyclist. I am capable of holding an adversarial debate and playing 'Devils Advocate' for all the above yet I only pay VED for the 'Motor Cars' at varied rates that allows me to use them on the road, plus the tax on the fuel used. However, certain subjects that one faces on a daily basis must no be mentioned or broached, but if the cap fits, then wear it. Like many others, this hat is firmly fixed, comfortable and will not be removed.