Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Very HD SUMO Bars.

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

I have been asked if there would be a market for very HD SUMO Bars for Land Cruisers? These would be made out of 35mm solid high tenstile steel.

I know I would like a set, but how many others would be interested? First batch would for 80 series.

Also what other sizes of thread is there on other models of Land Cruisers?

These would be made by a person that is well known for the quality of the bits he makes.

Paul

What exactly is a sumo bar and what are the benefits? A quick google suggests that it is something ot do with steering?

what ever they are they will be FAT and UGLY :lol: :lol:

Opps, I throught you lot would have known what they are lol lol.

Anyway, they are replacement stearing bar/track rod. You have been able to get them for Land rovers for years, but noone make them for Land Cruiser (as far as I know). When they are fitted you can jack your LC up with them with them bending.

I spoke to the man who lans to make them, if there is a market for them, I also asked about a HD bash plate that I have been thinking about. That will cover the main gear box and run to the back of the transfer box. I just need to pop to see him.

Paul

Having bent mine and had it straightened, but not yet replaced, I could be interested, what sort of price are we talking? :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To be honest Paul, I am more interested in a front bash plate to protect the steering bar and damper.
Gav was going to investigate it but I think he got too busy with other stuff.

The ones I have found on the net are just too expensive.

Cossack said:
Having bent mine and had it straightened, but not yet replaced, I could be interested, what sort of price are we talking? :pray:

I was told about £80 per bar, without track rod ends, price TBC. Like to LR ones http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page30.html

As for a stearing proection plate, I never liked them on LRs as they tend to push all the mud/snow down under it and raise the front wheels off of the ground.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Cossack said:
I was told about £80 per bar, without track rod ends, price TBC. Like to LR ones http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page30.htmlAs for a stearing proection plate, I never liked them on LRs as they tend to push all the mud/snow down under it and raise the front wheels off of the ground.Paul
The price on that site for a pair with greasable track rod ends is

"Sold in pairs only with heavy duty greasable track rod ends
1 Pair £85.00 + vat £99.87 inc vat"

So £80 per bar is not too good, or was that a typo?

No not a typo. The ones on Gwyns site are LR fitment and are tubes and not solid bar, LR track rod ends are only £7 each. How much are LC ones? The very HD ones are not listed on his site. They are not as thick as the ones planned for LCs. But as I said the price is TBC and has not been set yet. This thread was to see if there was a market for them as all the tooling needs to be got for making them as the thread size is very uncommon.

Gwyn is well know for the quality of the stuff he makes.

Paul

OK Paul, still interested, keep me informed.

Ok so they are basically heavy duty steering bars, so if I did hit a rock will it not transfer the load to next weak point like steering box, track rod ends and the steering arms? Steering boxes are expensive so I would rather avoid damaging it or have I got this completely wrong?

You are basically right Rob.
My mate used to sleeve the LR rod with a piece of iron gas pipe that was free to rotate.
If he hit anything the steering rod sort of rolled over the object saving all sorts of grief.
I seem to remember the LR rods were a tube so not particularly strong. I don't know about the cruiser ones though.

Rob you are quite right. When something breaks it will be the weakest point. So if you put stronger stearing bars on, the brakeage will move along the line abit. Track rods are easy to bend, I have done mine a few times, the only thing is you do not always notice it and it trhows the tracking out, this in tern does the tyres in, like bad tracking.

Paul

I currently have a bent steering bar, its rubbing against the diff housing and garages cant adjust my tracking due to seized joints so it needs replacing, depending on cost I am interested.

There is some more info here but it is for LR bars. I do have a PDF file aswell, if anyone wants it let me have an email address and I will forward it on, but again it is i about LR bars.

Paul

IIRC the LR ones are more exposed and very weak? I can remember a lad with a 90 that used to come laning with me bent his just with the force of trying to turn his 35's up a bank :lol: watch the clearance between the track bar and the axle control arms on lifted caster corrected trucks if you're increasing the size as even the OEM bar can rub on the casting seams and mean you have to grind them back a bit.

I've always thought these look exposed on LRs and LCs, so I may be interested, price dependant.

They would need to have std track rod end compatibility and 'enhanced' track rod end fitment. You need to be able to get normal replacement parts when the upgraded ones fail a long way from home :doh:

Hello all.I`m new here,having just joined but have been lurking for ages.
I don`t want to go ot on my first post,but,I always thought that Sumo bars for Land Rovers were were made somewhere in the north of Scotland,is Lewis 4 x 4 doing his own version,or is he making them for different vehicles?

Martin.

Back