Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Very HD SUMO Bars.

Hi Martin,

Gwyn now owns the rights for them and sells them. He is looking at expanding the range.

Paul

Always been happy with Gwyn's stuff- had a st of rear trailing arms which were nigh on unbreakable.

Paul- would be very interested- any chance of getting some sooner rather than later? have bent my drag link a couple of times and its now impossible to straighten properly- its playing merry hell with tracking :(

Gwyn is watching this thread. If there is enough interest then he will make them. Jim, do you think it would be worth posting about them on LR forums as a lot of LC axles seem to end up under Land Rovers!!

Paul

yep i'd certainly stick it on difflock and lr4x4

it will probably only be the tierod though- iirc Nick W and others had to fit a custom length drag link to get the axles to fit.

Gwynn- can you make a batch of say 10? presume its only the position of the steering damper that makes it any harder than a LR product?

Hi to all you out there.
I have just become a member to let you all know what i intend doing on the Sumobars for the Land Cruiser 80 series for now, i do actually own a 80 series as well and have had Toyotas for many yesrs, i mainly do Land Rover items and i baught the rights for Sumobars just over 12 monts ago, we curently do all the Land Rover Sumobars and the new Ultra Extreme Sumobars, thats when i thaught why not do some for the Land Cruiser as well, i had to fit a track rod end to a customers Land Cruiser and the thread was not good in the track rod bar, toyota dealer wanted about £100.00 just for the bar without track rod ends, so i thaught about geting some made, the standard bars are hollow and not a very thick wall on the tube, they are fine for normall use, but as these are used for off road i think a heavy duty bar is required, if you do bend a standard one yes it can be straightned, but tube is hard to get straight again and if you do get a kink in the bar you will have a weak spot, i have seen this on standard Land Rover ones and they eventually brake as they try to flex on the kink, i know they are more out of the way on the Land Cruiser compared to a Land Rover track rod, but it is the side impact that causes them to bend, especially if you have a slight bend in them to start with, the problem with the Toyota bars is they have 2 diferent threads M23 on the track rod and M21 on the front drag link, these are not a standard tread, thats why the tooling cost will be very expensive, thats why i contactet Paul to see if there would be much interest in the Sumobars for the 80 series.
I will be looking at doing them out of 35mm solid bar, the same as our Ultra Extreme Sumobars, i know you have all seen the prices of the Land Rover ones but it is a totaly diferent thing, i get 100 Land Rover ones in one order and i know they will sell.
The price would probably be about £80.00 per bar and you can use your standard track rod ends in them, the steering damper is not a problem as it ataches to the one track rod end nearest to the steering box.
I have been surching to se if anyone else does bars for these but havent found anyone out there.
I will keep you all informed on what i will be doing on them.
Thanks.

Gwyn Lewis SUMOBARS.co.uk

Welcome Gwyn. I will put my order in now please. I should be able to give then a good test :)

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting.You don`t often see manufacturers on the forums.
A Question for Gwyn,are these imports or do you get them made here?
Can odd lengths be supplied and for that matter odd threads?

Martin.

At 160 quid for the pair I will definitely want some, as garages have difficulty adjusting tracking and one of them is bent.

Interesting.You don`t often see manufacturers on the forums.
A Question for Gwyn,are these imports or do you get them made here?
Can odd lengths be supplied and for that matter odd threads?

Martin.

These will be made in the UK (the snowy side of scotland actually), there are to many cheap imported Land Rover ones out there, they seem to be random lengths and you have to take what you get with cheap imports, by making them in the UK, i can controll what is going on.
Making odd lengths should not be a problem, but they could cost a little more, once we get the tooling, diferent thread pitches wont be to much of a problem as all we have to do is change the cutting tip, the Land Rover one cant be used on the Toyota sumobars as they need a deeper thread because the track rod ends have about 15mm more thread on them.
Steel costs is another isue with pricing them as it is rising rapidly again, these bars are well over £1000.00 per tone now and that is before any work is done to them.

I will keep you informed how we get on.

Gwyn Lewis SUMOBARS.co.uk

Hi Gwyn,
Any further development on these bars? I'll be in for two please. :thumbup:

At last something seems to be happening.I was speaking with Gwyn today and he tells me the first samples are due in to him early next week.
He admitted it`s taken a long time to get to this stage but apparently the tooling the supplier had to acquire to do the extra deep threads in the Toyota bars took a bit of sourcing,then there were a few design changes along the way which extended the lead time.Gwyn readily admits he can be a bit picky and difficult to work with on product design.
Another problem was that his Sumo Extreme bars have been selling very successfully along with the standard Sumo`s and this has put the manufacturer under pressure as the orders for these have got larger.
Anyway to cut a long story short it looks as though we may be seeing these bars some time soon.

Martin.

Great news, might finally replace my bend steering arms...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

It has been a long time, but i have had a set of SUMOBARS to try on my LC80, i am very pleased with how they have turned out, they fitted straight on with no problem, adjusting the tracking and centralising the steering is easy as you have a 30mm locking nut at each end, there is plenty of thread depth in the bar as i was concerned about this as the threads on the track rod ends are much longer than land rover ones, they are made out of 35mm engineering grade carbon steel (not to be confused with products made from cheap EN3B wich is the lowest grade of bright mild steel bar available).

I have placed an order for these bars and 20 sets should be with me shortly to see how they sell, the price is going to be £78.50 + vat per bar, they can be baught as singles or as a pair, you will have to use your originall track rod ends, but i am trying to source some decent quality ones rather than paying toyota prices, Toyota wanted £80.24 + vat for 1 track rod end when i priced them up, maybe you could let me know what track rod ends you use ??

I will let you know whan i have stock of them.

Thanks

Gwyn Lewis

Gwyn,will these be zinc plated like your other steering bars?
On the subject of track rod end prices,I was talking to a garage owner while dropping of my wifes car for a service.He had just got a track rod end for an LDV Maxus,after discount £188 + vat.

Martin

I will be ordering them later this summer, might be even sooner as I have a front axle rebuild due.

Call me a traitor if you like but I`ve moved on to an Isuzu Bighorn so never got around to trying these bars.
Was speaking with Gwyn the other day and it seems nobody else has either as he is not shifting them very quickly.
Is everybody skint?

Back