Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Views on a D4D Hilux?

Dave_S

Hi all - thinking about another truck (not to replace the 80 Series before someone asks, as well as) and have been looking at modern-ish Hilux - maybe a 7th Gen D4D. Anyone any experience with these? As a Yota I would expect reliability, but is there any nasties to look out for? I've a phobia about cars with too much electrickery which is a concern...

All thoughts welcome!

Injector seals caused problems, think there was a recall from yota but as always not all get fixed.

Had several without issues, would not worry about mechanicals too much it is probably going to be harder to find something fresh with a modest mileage and a some service history.

bought mine, a 3.0 invincible, new, 2012 model, did 40000 faultless miles, sold it after 3 years and regretted it ever since!

I have a 2015 Mk7 (purists call them a Mk6 facelift.) 3.0 D4D and I love it. In term of toys and tricks, they don't really have any. They are quite basic. I really like mine. It's very smooth and quiet on the motorway, handles very well for a long vehicle and just now I am getting around 30 mpg since having an injector replaced under warranty. Service interval is 10k. It's comfy, roomy and has more or less just what you need. In the snow it was staggeringly good. The Bridgestone tyres it comes with are rubbish. I now have Cooper AT3 Sports on there and they're good. Load bed is 2m so not as long as you might think. With the canopy on there you have to drop the tailgate to get planks and things in it. In terms of longevity, there's nothing I could really call out. Once we're truly done with winter, I plan to get the underside thoroughly jet washed off to stem that typical UK corrosion.
I'd say that the ride for rear seat passengers is a bit hard because of the leaf springs. But with 5 bags of sand in the loadbay, it's much improved. I have a manual but only because that came up first. The auto is lovely to drive.
It has low range but only a transfer box rather than a centre diff. Surprisingly, there is a good bit of latitude on turning. I thought turning the wheel would be difficult but even on tarmac, it's quite forgiving.

Cheers guys - helpful. I presume other than tyres you've left them pretty much stock? Seems plenty around at £15-20k mark with low miles on Autotrader. I had been thinking manual, but I've read some good reviews on the auto. Guess I'll need to do some test drives.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got a 2013 auto 3.0 d4d which I bought new. A great vehicle,
Commuted to work in it, hauled loads of wood in trailer and in rear tub,
Driven greenlanes in it, and done lots of overland camping trips in Scotland and also Iceland and Alps and Pyrenees. Good in snow too.
The Hilux has always performed well and like it more than the landcrusier Colorado 95-series I had before.

Cheers Andy - good to know, as I was thinking of this primarily for road use (I live in the sticks and the roads are pretty crappy at the best of times, can be bad in winter) but with a view to doing more overlanding/camping etc longer term. Done a bit more reading and it seems injectors are the main issue to watch for, though some also seem to be showing signs of early chassis rust (due to crap factory finish I guess?).

I did add a winch and a NATO hitch but that's as far as I'm going.

Agree about the standard tyres, shit and gave mine an annoying wheel wobble. Changed to ggat2s which were fab. The load bed is nearer 5 foot than 6. Had the best mechanical grip off road of any stock vehicle I’ve ever driven. Leather and the Toyota touch and go update made the cabin a very civilised place to be. I did 16- 20 hour days crossing Europe in it more than once. I fitted a bed rug and mountain top, both of which were superb.

Well... finally took the plunge... only 18 months later..

IMG_1664.JPG

Nice Hilux, same colour as mine
Hope you up enjoy it and adventures

Note Chris’s last comment and now he has kitted his out with storage system in canopy ;)

Ahh but none of it is permanent Andy. I’ve not modified it I’ve simply put stuff in the back
I can’t leave that lot in there unfortunately

LOL! Well, my plan is to leave this stock, at least for 6-12 months and see how I get on with it. Though I am a serial offender in that regard... Guess we'll see. Will report back in a few weeks when I've put some miles on it (oh - and for those I chatted to a while ago, I did straight swap for by 2012 Defender for this... so lets see!).

Back