Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Views on rear suspension

Leslie

Country Flag
england
Hi
Changed out the original 12 year old rear springs and shocks yesterday and fitted Roughtrax standard springs +20 and Rancho RS5000 and have to say not impressed on the ride home.
The ride was a lot worse , swaying about, than the knackerd old units that were replaced .
Will give it a week to settle in and see how they fair, what are other user views .

Good service from RT as usual .

Cheers

Surely it should be a better less wallowy ride with all the new units fitted. I replaced all of my springs and shox last year because it was to soft and wallowy. Fitted Pedders lift kit so far I've been very pleased with them. Trying it off road for the first time since they've been fitted next weekend.

Fitted Roughtrax +20 all round about 4000 miles ago to my 95. Initially not impressed as it felt far too harsh, but over time find them much improved. Was a huge surprise to find how little the truck rocked when climbing on to the running board after fitting the new springs/shocks - no longer a galleon under full sail! Give it a little time...

Did you just do the rear?

If youve still got the originals on front the the handling will be a bit screwed up, is soft at front, hard at back, car wont know what to do when!

Are the rancho's adjustable?

Pete

Hi
Yes the rear suspension was changed , Rancho RS5000 none adjustable were fitted , on my last cruiser I went for OME which had no concerns from day one , then went on to replace the fronts at a later date .
To be fair I went from the workshop straight down a bumpy windy single track road home , and have noticed a nice firmer ride over the main road , so they will settle in as time goes on .
On a side note I fitted a new centre box in the exhaust replacing the original silence , this was very well made and priced also .

ATB

Would anybody know the if there is a difference between 120 rear springs and the rear springs on a July 02 95 LWB .

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Leslie, The coils between a 95 series model and a 120 are quite different and not interchangeable.
The 95s run a 10mm difference between sides in free camber height, plus only have a 115mm inside coil diameter, and 10 turns.
The 120 springs are the same height side to side, have a 130mm inside diameter and only run 6.75 turns.
The wire thickness varies on spring rates selected, but that's all.
Hope that helps. Cheers. Chris

Back