Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Waeco/mobicool

I have the Victron battery management system on board and Ben is spot on. I find that if it's a coolish evening, the fridge hasn't drawn a single amp overnight sometimes. For one night stops you can work it as hard as you like. There's more than enough battery for that. I did find that running both fridge and freezer on the ferry crossing to Santander the battery was getting a bit low. But it's warm in there and the windows were closed so any warm you pull from the fridge obviously raises the surrounding temp. For the way back, I set the freezer to -18 and switched it off. It was still around -10 when we got off at the other end. Nice big thermal mass in a well insulated box. If my fridge is starting to empty, I just fill it with bottles of water that will cool as I am driving.

Glad you found it Pete, I looked at the bigger one but for me it'd be overkill, I'm happy to with it and still sat on the same battery quite happily.

Ben...it's getting strapped down on top of the drawers plenty space to open it etc. A lot of campsites we go to now have hook up for tenting so it'll go in the tent on mains if we have it.

I dont have a 2nd battery, so intend to run it when engine is running only and plugged in when on sites with hookup. An insulating cover probably a good idea as there are times it will effectively just be a coolbox.

Incase anyone is looking for one, that's the seller i bought from.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waeco-Mobic...For-Boat-Caravan-31L-/252333541132?nav=SEARCH

I'm putting a 2nd battery set up in but any additional electrics will be wired to it via a new fuse box etc, want to keep the starter battery exactly that. Just have to fit a tray and move the washer bottle.

It's run for a good 2 days and hasn't flattened the battery it's connected too so I'm pleased with that. Had it at 0 since yesterday too.

I have the same fridge. Got it last year off Amazon, when they had a deal on. Used it on a few trips, and it has also been used at home on and off. The longest it ran on battery was a 48 hr stint when we were parked up. Temp set to -1, the dual setup in the 120 had no problems at all. Chris is totally spot on about the temp setting. It was -1 right at v the bottom. But on top it never went under 4 deg.

This year i want to get am Auxiliary battery and get a proper monitor going maybe a 100w'sh solar. Would be interesting to see if we can find an insulation bag for these. Might be possible to keep.it going entirely on solar then.

The big difference in day to day against the more expensive waeco is the power draw. National luna are even more effecient. Something to think about if you are parked up a lot.

The other thing is that there is no way to mount these in with the compressor facing the back since they only open on the front side.

Other than that it works well. And at a much more palatable price point.

Oooooo looks whats here :)
3edbfe67ad2f3f58f90c35862b7ee793.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
judging by the state of the box the courier didn't think it was fragile!

They do get them sent out quickly.

Good to hear someone has one and is happy with it.
Ref the bag i reckon the waeco one would fit if needed one, for my intended use i don't think I'll need one, can leave windows down a bit to stop too much heat build up in the 80, tailgate is usually open when sat around at campsite too.

They do get them sent out quickly.

Good to hear someone has one and is happy with it.
Ref the bag i reckon the waeco one would fit if needed one, for my intended use i don't think I'll need one, can leave windows down a bit to stop too much heat build up in the 80, tailgate is usually open when sat around at campsite too.

I think you could easily improvise with some metallised film/foil and some of that high density closed cell foam used in packaging OR those Motorhome sunblinds. I've got a Waeco bag and it does a good job but they're expensive and not made anymore. There's a lot to be said for managing your fridge/freezer set-up with just a little thought..as per some of the ideas above. EG - put your new warm beers in the fridge early in the morning when they are at their coolest and the fridge will be run off the alternator (rivers make good pre-coolers too), leave your moon roof ajar to keep the car cooler, sun blinds, that sort of thing. I put a 80W panel on my truck and it just about copes in hot climes....if I did it again I'd definitely go with a 100W minimum

Well while I'm sat in the tent, in the Yorkshire dales figured I'd update on my little mobicool fridge.

So Thursday night at home filled it with drinks and cooled down on the mains, set to 0. Little thermometer I put in said about -2 at the very bottom.

Friday it got loaded into the 80 now filled with food and drinks, the standard bacon, sausages, black pudding, spicy chicken stir fry, fruit, cheese, milk, butter etc.
Now running 12 volts on my new battery set up.
Left it on 0 for the drive then raised it to 2 when got to camp Fri eve, it stayed at 0 even after opened it a few times for stuff.
Sat am reading 1 on the display, still nice and cold food for breakfast.

Now today has been a scorcher with no shade at all part from the tinted glass in a black 80!!
We drove over to Morecombe bay from Ingleton with it set to 0 again, didn't run for long and set to 2while parked in the sun all day, well it said 2 on the display when we got back, it wasn't running and internal thermometer said 0 so all is good.

I've put bottles in that were ambient temp and they've cooled perfectly. Even the freshly made chicken stir fry was perfect.

So I'm well happy and will have a lovely cooked breakfast in the morning

Would definitely recommend one of these for anyone after a good fridge on a budget.

Now to make a fridge slide for it.

Got the Mobicool FR40 (38 litres). Gonna be tested this summer -- so far only used it on a short trip - works OK.
Attaching the user's manual.

Attachments

• Manual-FR40-en.pdf
    910.2 KB · Views: 639
Mine has been used a good few times now and lives in the 80, have even switched on the night before on 12v with stuff in ready for days out. Works great.
Got some materials to make a slide now just need some runners.

Just ordered one from amazon Prme Day Deal £212delivered

If you hadn't posted about it I wouldn't have know about them at all Gary!

Mine was excellent in France.

Very good bit of kit, great price.

pete

Another small update on the mobicool, it's sat in the kitchen currently and has been for a good few days, the lowest temperature it can be set to is -12 btw. It's currently our household freezer and my little thermoelectric fridge is well the household fridge.
The main fridge freezer is just a white non functioning box!

Well it doesn't do -18 but wasn't really ever something I checked. Everything is still frozen and any frozen meat stuff is sat at the bottom, stuff up top hasn't defrosted so it works as a freezer at least

For the others who bought one I might have an option for a cover/transport bag :think:
It should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck. Not sure how well insulated it'll be but hopefully space to add foil covered bubble wrap stuff. £35 and the indel fridge it's designed to fit is the same design and dimensions are very close to the mobicool unit.

For the others who bought one I might have an option for a cover/transport bag :think:
It should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck. Not sure how well insulated it'll be but hopefully space to add foil covered bubble wrap stuff. £35 and the indel fridge it's designed to fit is the same design and dimensions are very close to the mobicool unit.

Do tell.

Back