Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wannabe HJ60 owner!

DaveG

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

I've just joined as I'm on the lookout for a decent HJ60 for a second car / weekend adventure wagon / excuse to spend time in the garage to escape the wife!

I'd really appreciate any tips on any good dealers for vehicles and breakers for spares, from what I can see 60s seem to be pretty thin on the ground. Also any tips on what to be wary of when buying would be much appreciated.

I've been looking at this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172260330739 which seems in reasonable nick (apart from the interior) but the black paint on the roof looks like it might be hiding some horrors and the wing mirrors look like a bodge. Have any of you experts got any thoughts on this beast?

Cheers!

Dave.

Welcome Dave.

Having a closer look at the pics I wonder how deep this rust goes?

$_57.JPG

With a bit of TLC it might be a good buy but I think it's got some work needing.

In the same pic - is the passenger mirror cracked? Would that pass a MOT at a "friendly" garage only?

I think @AndycruiserguyLomas is on of the many-60 owners. He might have a word or two.

C

Thanks, Crispin.

Good spot, on further inspection there are a few more places where it looks like rust has been painted over.

Shame it's 185 miles away otherwise I'd give it a good look over!

Dave.

Hi Dave, I've had more than 30 HJ60's in my time and know them pretty well. They are an acquired taste with their low tech mechanicals and questionable leaf spring ride, but they do have their charm. Its all down to condition I'm afraid, the newest ones are 26 years old and their rust resistance is negligible so the vast majority of UK ones have either been exported to Africa or been recycled, Rust does get into the seams eventually and I'm sure is a bugger to eradicate. One of mine is the last one registered in the UK with only 90K miles, virtually one owner but it still needs a major body overhaul,
Parts are available, usually from Europe but can be pricey and there are some body repair panels available from a German firm. Mechanically they are pretty tough and a well maintained 2H engine can last for decades, even with an after market turbo kit. The last one I sold had 287K and ran fine and is still in daily use.
An alternative is to import one from either Japan or Australia/NZ where they are not exposed to salt but they are from Japan, expensive or from down under, starship mileages, depends on your budget I'm afraid.
One aspect to consider is that due to their rarity the prices are rising as they are beginning to attract "classic" status and restored ones are anywhere from £4-6K. If you buy a restoration project you would probably end up in a similar place.
There are at least a good couple of prominent members on here who have restored 60's and run them so they might chirp up with their experiences.
You could consider this one:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...839246?hash=item4d467957ce:g:NtMAAOSwhOVXc5iA
I know the truck and the owner well and its a pretty fair thing, mechanically good but to make it presentable it still needs a fair ammount of time and effort on a home restoration or a fair ammount of money at a restoration shop.

Regarding the one you are interested in, the sides have been resprayed, proper colour, different shade and the front wheel arches have had the bottom couple of inches trimmed off where the bottoms have rotted away ( as they do) and I can tell from the photos the rear arches have had surgery too and I may be wrong but it looks like the bottom of the rear wings have been cropped to eradicate the tin worm.
There are two variations of 60's, round and square headlight models, the latter coming in in 87 along with a revised dash ( which I prefer), although I find more enthusiasts prefer the round headlight model.
IMO this truck is immediately usable but a but overpriced and if you wanted to improve it cosmetically you would soon be into serious money .
They are about but be sure you want one, this is a far better buy and a far better vehicle to drive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...876223?hash=item2a6ba92f3f:g:CgwAAOSwwo1XeoTP

This ramble is just my experience over the years owning 60's and 80's.

Just to whet your appetite
NZ import.
DSC00301.jpg

This was the one I enjoyed driving most.
Picture023.jpg

hope this helps.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comments, that's really helpful. How have you managed to own 30 of the them - you must buy every one you see!?

I take your point that an 80 would be a better drive and I'll keep an eye on them (in case a bout of sense strikes) but I really like the 60s, I'm not worried about them being primitive, it's what I'm looking for really. I've only seen a few come up for sale over the last couple of months, 2 absolutely knackered ones for £2.5k each, a mint one going at auction at est £9-11k(!) and the 2 we've been talking about above. I guess with Japanese imports you're probably looking at £3k shipping + vehicle + travel +++.

I'd probably rather shell out a bit more for a restored or part restored example than get into unknown money-pit territory with a rough one. Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend keeping an eye out for tidier ones?

Cheers,

Dave.

Back