Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Washer Jets

Come on Andy, don't you quit on me too!!

C

Would I do that, I always try to find the most complex and over engineered approach to everything I do.

it is the British way after all old boy :lol:

Dave Burgess said:
Those heated windscreens are only available on Fords (and Ford group cars) because they hold the rights and are only willing to sell them at a price which other were not willing to pay... :sick: They should be made to release them or at least have the decency to let them go cheap as a safety item :naughty:
Most of the coaches I have had recently had heated screens and some lorries too but none were Ford. Perhaps it's different for large vehicles :?:

I too took the bonnet blanket off and use Tesco's concentrate and haven't had any issues yet. Probably warmer down here than in Derbyshire eh :?:

its a shame we don't seem to have any canadians on this forum. They are always somewhat bemused when this topic comes up on land rover forums every winter.

'your windscreen washers froze?!! how did that happen?'

Andy i'm afraid the solution to your design flaw in places where it gets really cold is as joe suggests. Getting hold of it here is not too easy alas. Lidl had some in, but it was only in 1l bottles as part of a winter pack, so quite expensive. Costco has larger volumes (5l) and it says -35 neat on the back. I think the lidl stuff was -40 or so.

One small drawback of the heated screens is that they block GPS signal. The wires act as a Faraday cage. Maybe they have resolved that issue on more modern models but it certainly used to be a problem.

Chris

Ecky Thump said:
[quote="Dave Burgess":c2m5lm6f]Those heated windscreens are only available on Fords (and Ford group cars) because they hold the rights and are only willing to sell them at a price which other were not willing to pay... :sick: They should be made to release them or at least have the decency to let them go cheap as a safety item :naughty:
Most of the coaches I have had recently had heated screens and some lorries too but none were Ford. Perhaps it's different for large vehicles :?:

I too took the bonnet blanket off and use Tesco's concentrate and haven't had any issues yet. Probably warmer down here than in Derbyshire eh :?:[/quote:c2m5lm6f]

i think most of the land rover range has had the option for a while, probably as far back as the first delivery of winterised 110's to the MOD in 1986, or maybe it was the 1991 bunch. Some other manufacturers offer them, but they seem not so common.

aftermarket they are available for land rovers and other classics and also for rally cars.

here's some toyota ones

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/toyota-heated-windscreens.html

no landcruiser there i'm afraid, they must be blind to the rallying potential of a landcruiser.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you remember, Land Rover were part of Ford Premier Auto Group for a long period, so that is when the windscreens became available for LRs - and I remember the winterized Wolfs being fitted as were all the others if you could find the wires!

As Les says, trucks and buses get them (we have some at work) so why no others. No other cars are supplied with them, but you can get them as a replacement for some (and the same design is fitted as a HRW to my 1974 classic). The windscreens are made by one of the glass manufacturers as opposed to the car manufacturers so maybe the rule is car production :confusion-shrug:

Fluid wise, I have today gone straight to Isopropyl Alcohol in the bottle as I found some in the garage from the last ski trip - got it in a supermaket so might be worth a look in Lidl etc for AKH fluid.

Heated front screens would be good... but I only have one stripe on my rear screen! :doh:

ford only took over in 2000, heated screens were available from the early 90's in range rovers and also on the pre-wolf winterised 90's and 110's.

You can get them on new minis and on top end audis as well.

i presume these companies must have paid ford.

Think we may be straying OT chaps. No offense meant.

Interesting, but not part of the topic on washer jets. :thumbup:

Chris

Yes, VAG has heated windyscreens available as an option on some motors. It was available on a Passat I was looking at a few years back.

Anyway, back on topic.....

There was along thread on 'the other site' about late model Hilux washer jets. Do these give a fan spray and do they stay free from icing any better than standard?

There was indeed Dave. Might cross over and see if I can find that. The pin hole ones that I have are rubbish really.

Chris

Those are the ones that I put on mine. They do fan a spray across the window and I have suffered (I sound like a BBC reporter) less from blocked jets (Now I need a doctor).

@£10 a jet, they are a bit of a rip off but the spray is much better than the stock ones (twin squirty jets) the 120 came with.

Got a part number there good buddy, come back 10/4 roger roger.

Chris

From Toyodiy for 2007 model Hilux....85010-0K010,

No idea if this is the correct one, Crispin?

me thinks: 85381-0K010.
Can't see the original thread on Prado Point. Seems I am not authorised to view it??? That's two forums I am not allowed to visit :(

Regardless of part number, it's a "hilux washer jet" :mrgreen:

If there's a few of us after these jets would it be worth seeing if we can negotiate any sort of discount - say with Parts-King for instance...? I would def be interested in a set.

I guess it depends on how quickly they're wanted but we'd probably be able to have them by the end of next week - assuming they were in stock.

Perhaps we could have a group buy from Mr Ian? Airmail packet shared between us. Once we nail the part number. I'd have a set for sure.

Chris

I would suggest Ian as they are a rip off from Mr-T and they weigh nothing so Ian should be a good'un.

If you want, I still have the old ones from the 120 (you'd swear I'm from the north the way I cling onto things in case I can reuse them). If my old ones fit an 80, then the news ones would.

Back