Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Welcome to Tilley

Vince

Country Flag
scotland
Joined on here a few weeks ago but only now adding my details. Now the proud owner of a Landcruiser Troopy, having had a couple of Hilux over the past 7 years, I was introduced to this club by a friend Andrew Cook. Looking forward to checking out whats on here and getting to know a few of you over time.

The troopy I purchased, which was previously shown on the Classified Pages here, all came about fairly quickly once I saw the post of its sale on Facebook. I just had to see it. I wasn't planning on looking for one for at least 18 months however this looked too good to miss. The reason for the change is for future, longer trips, I'm planning...the first in 2018 to Gozo to see my sister going out through Italy but coming back via Greece, Albania,Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia etc. Then in 2021 over to the Americas. Inbetween times it'll be Scotland and trips to Europe. I've started a blog, along with a good friend Jill who is also co owner of Tilley (the Troopy) which can be found at www.LifeOfTilley.com This is for keeping a record any trips we do whether solo or together..where family and friends can follow.

There vehicle is already very well kitted out but have got short term plans for the interior when it comes to packing all the kit I'm used to taking with longer term plans of getting an Alucab roof tent installed. Watch this space as they say.
DSC_3584.JPG

Hi Vince and welcome to the forum. Nice looking troopy there. Where abouts are you located may I ask?

Good luck with your plans.

Best wishes

Richard

I'm guessing that would be Edinburgh then.

Hi Vince and welcome to the forum. Nice looking troopy there. Where abouts are you located may I ask?

Good luck with your plans.

Best wishes

Richard

Livingston just outside of Edinburgh.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Vince, a great buy and exciting plans, I'm watching with interest.

Welcome to the forum Vince, a gem of a truck you have there, love it!

Hi Vince and welcome, even though I thought you were on here anyways

Welcome to the Landcrusier club Vince,
Shame to see Olli the Hilux go, but the Troopy will be a much tougher vehicle for longer trips

Have fun and I look forward to having a nosey at Tilley the Troopy soon

Vince - Has this Troopy been well rustproofed? I'd consider it a high priority to make sure it's fully protected, including exterior paintwork (pay attention to the panel corners), as rest of world spec vehicles are not rustproofed or have the paint thickness and quality that we've come to expect these days.

..... as rest of world spec vehicles are not rustproofed or have the paint thickness and quality that we've come to expect these days.

An interesting comment there Scott...

Is it a fact (on both counts) or is it an observation?

My Euro spec 80 doesn't have what I could call under-seal, but most of the photos of crusty UK models that I've seen can't have had much in the way of underbody protection (if any) and I can't imagine my paint thickness being any different from a U.K. Spec...

I'm not challenging the quote, just interested whether it's fact or opinion...

First hand observations (both in UK and RoW markets) and confirmation by word of mouth when discussing the observation with those who have first hand experience with RoW vehicles.

A lot of RoW market vehicles are sold in hot climates so underseal is less of a requirement, and the vehicles are often painted white to help keep them cool. The paint often cracks around sharpe panel edges and hairline traces of the dreaded orange rust soon appear in the cracks.

Back