Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What did you do with your tank today??

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Apologies if you've seen this already ...

How the hell do you manage to lose a tank from a vehicle when it should only be doing a crawl speed ? This is by the Wig Wam Motel on Van Reenens pass - quite notorious in SA - on a flat section of road. Thank goodness it wasn’t going down a steep hill and could have rolled down the road into traffic.
An interesting fact emerged later!
Apparently the driver was a young black female trainee (combined unit was 105 tonnes)
The rig went through the arrester bed, and over the end and did a 360 turn – that’s when the Olifant tank decided to dismount and roll down onto the up lane and block the main highway
A military gun carrier lost his load on Van Reenen's pass on the down lane.
The load - an Olifant tank, ended upside down down the bank closing the Northern up lane to all traffic. According to the driver the brakes on the truck failed and she had to run into the arrestor bed across the road from the motel nearby. The result - the tank finished upside down on the N3 up lane blocking the road.
The military could not recover it so a private towing company was called in on Saturday to remove the tank from the road. (Sunday) and voila............Olifant tank still on the side of the road all buggered up.

Gaan kyk by ladysmithgazette.co.za

tank_1_zpsf46da4cb.jpg

tank_2_zps5720c46f.jpg

tank_3_zps4ef94e04.jpg

tank_4_zps076d48e2.jpg

tank_5_zps7ecea0c6.jpg

tank_6_zps645b0e31.jpg

tank_7_zps27006128.jpg

tank_8_zps45f76d13.jpg

tank_9_zps1877583e.jpg

tank_10_zpsfb330a10.jpg

tank_11_zps365e18b0.jpg

tank_12_zps844baa06.jpg

ha ha ha , they might as well just gas ax it up for scrap as and where it stands.

Given the damage it sustained, I have to ask just how good it would be if hit by a live round.

That'll be an interesting one for their next insurance renewal:
"Have you had an accident in the last 12months?"
"Well, I did have a bit of a problem at work...."
"What happened?
"I crashed a tank transporter... the tank fell off..."

(By the way, how many people know that you should report your work vehicle accidents when declaring your accident history at renewal time?)

Given the damage it sustained, I have to ask just how good it would be if hit by a live round.

I read quite recently about depleted uranium used for shells, apparently no explosive is used in the round, when the round hits all the energy is turned into heat which then explodes any munitions inside the tank, end of tank and crew. :icon-eek:

I read quite recently about depleted uranium used for shells, apparently no explosive is used in the round, when the round hits all the energy is turned into heat which then explodes any munitions inside the tank, end of tank and crew. :icon-eek:

Yes, quite scary things. Having seen the damage they can do to the armor on tanks (in Serbia where the usual forces of 'good' were using them freely) I would not like to be on the recieving end.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back