Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What does this mean...?

Brownbear

I was under the bonnet today and as I looked on its underside there was a sticker saying "SNOW VERSION"

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I was under the bonnet today and as I looked on its underside there was a sticker saying "SNOW VERSION"

Can anyone tell me what this is?
Yep I have this version too. IIRC, It has a fuel pre -heater a bigger heater core and a rad roller blind.

Yep I have this version too. IIRC, It has a fuel pre -heater a bigger heater core and a rad roller blind.

Just what you need in the middle of Africa! :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmmm....I have the fuel heater, rad blind and bigger (probably) heater core but no sticker. I read somewhere, on this forum I think, that the rad blind is for use when wading and not for warming up the engine. After all, a correctly rated and working stat should take care of that.

Also discovered the other day while 'playing' in the snow that when the ABS is turned off with the CD locked it turns itself back on when the lock is released. This ties up with the instructions in the handbook but I'm sure I've read, again possibly on this forum, that the ABS stays of until you stop and restart the engine. Maybe this was how it worked on the earlier models?

Last edited:
Duplicate post

Last edited:
The ABS is disabled with CDL and will reset when CDL is unlocked as long as you haven't driven above about 40 mph for 400 yards. It's an odd thing, but keep the speed down and the ABS will come on and off with the dashboard switch. Go over the limits and it will only reset with the ignition. Not sure if that's a quirk or designed in.

Chris

Id be surprised if the blind is for wading.

Whats is the wading depth of an 80 (according to MT T) ? :think:

700 mm.

I do use mine for wading. It's good at keeping the shite out of the rad. But I do think it was for faster warm up, originally.

The ABS is disabled with CDL and will reset when CDL is unlocked as long as you haven't driven above about 40 mph for 400 yards. It's an odd thing, but keep the speed down and the ABS will come on and off with the dashboard switch. Go over the limits and it will only reset with the ignition. Not sure if that's a quirk or designed in.

Chris

It was designed in so you have the option of turning off ABS on dirt roads while keeping the CDL unlocked. Very useful feature when driving fast on loose surfaces.

I thought the radiator blinds were to stop over-cooling when driving in very cold environments?

700 mm.

I do use mine for wading. It's good at keeping the shite out of the rad. But I do think it was for faster warm up, originally.

Engine warm up is dictated by the thermostat. On very old cars, blinds did help to warm up the engine and keep it warm but modern engines don't need them. Keeping the crap out of the rad. is more likely.

Roger

Those blinds can be used in extreme cold conditions, but you have to be careful as you are essentially blocking off the airflow to the rad and risk overheating.

Really if you have a healthy engine and thermostat you will not need a blind. If you have no thermostat then you need to control the rad temperature with a blind.

Some pre-war cars had no thermostat or water pump so they relied on blinds to control rad temps when in winter use.

A garden sprinkler post wading trip is a good way to clean out your rad. Don't use a pressure washer as they flatten all the fins bad block cooling too.

A garden sprinkler post wading trip is a good way to clean out your rad. Don't use a pressure washer as they flatten all the fins bad block cooling too.
I never got round to trying it out but I had an idea of cable tieing a short piece of perforated garden hose along the top of the rad with the holes pointing downwards and connecting it to my garden hose when I got back home after a 'muddy' and leaving it running for a while. :think:

Mine's got a blind, it's down all year round & even in the hot weather the needle position never changes to when it's freezing cold.

Mine's got a blind, it's down all year round & even in the hot weather the needle position never changes to when it's freezing cold.

Standard temp gauge by any chance? :?

Back