Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What size synth winch rope???

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hi all been looking at synth rope for my winch(s????) lately. Was just wondering what thickness people are going for. Thanks in advance guys

It all boils down to length over strength really, I went for 100 foot of 10mm on the 120 as it will pull about 9800 Kg, if you go thicker you'll get less on the drum but can winch stronger loads, that said I imagine you'll get 100 foot of 14mm on most decent winch drums.

Are you going to be pulling anything over 10 tonnes?

Hmmm thanks for that guys. Just a thought though. most of my shackles etc are rated at 5 ton. The hook that winch it provides is 3.15. Now I would have thought it safer to have your rope snap rather than a shackle or hook and have bits of metal flying through the air so would it be best to go 10mm then up rate all of my other stuff to say 10 ton. ?????

I also have the same winch rope as the ebay ad, on my defender. It has pulled many times and heavy loads on snatch blocks etc. very nice rope and 10mm's plenty :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have 11 on the front and 9 on the rear. Only time I have ever snapped one is where it was worn and weakened. That can happen to any rope. You could say the thicker it it, the more damage it will stand before it get to the point it breaks. Looking after them I think is the key rather than necessarily the difference between 9, 10 and 11 mm. In new condition you really wouldn't snap one. I think your winch would stall first. Perhaps another reason for not fitting massive capacity winches. 20 000lbs on a SWB 90 for eg would not be sensible.

Back