Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what size winch

landcruiserjohnb

hi guys
What size winch or power of winch is needed to pull the 80 out of crap.
There is a lot around and every ones is the best if you know what i mean.

Some people say 9000lb is ok. I have a 12000lb fitted to mine as I found a 9000lb one not enough unless you double line it.

It is better to have one that is too big than one that is too small.

Paul

Definitive test carried out last year at Lincomb on a 45 degree slope. 9.5 Goldfish v 12000 Goldfish.

12k not necessary. Buy one if you want, but you aren't getting anything extra for the money.

Chris

Paul_Humphreys said:
Some people say 9000lb is ok. I have a 12000lb fitted to mine as I found a 9000lb one not enough unless you double line it.

Paul

Double lining is not going to give you more pulling power unless you're in a situation when if it was a single line your drum has loads of wraps. Generally speaking, with a single snatch block you can't really get a mechanical advantage due to the friction involved and the acute angles of the rope which destroys any advantage you may have had. The double line halves the draw on the battery though so it's good for that.

I have a 9000 on mine and it's more than adequate.

That much friction to render the advantage useless? I'm not a very clever Guy but I doubt it. Most of the cranes I worked on would be pointless then having 2, 4, 8 drops to the bottom block?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

If you have 3,4,5 plus advantage then sure, but one snatch block is giving you almost nothing due to the friction.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
mike54 said:
Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul

Double lining is not going to give you more pulling power unless you're in a situation when if it was a single line your drum has loads of wraps. Generally speaking, with a single snatch block you can't really get a mechanical advantage due to the friction involved and the acute angles of the rope which destroys any advantage you may have had. The double line halves the draw on the battery though so it's good for that.

I have a 9000 on mine and it's more than adequate.
If doubling lining halves the draw on the battery are you not reducing the strain on the winch, and does that not give more pulling power :confusion-confused: I don't know, I'm a novice with these things.

No just the strain on the battery. It's a popular misconception that a double line halves the carry load on the winch - it doesn't.

Mike, It does increase the load you can pull by double lineing a winch cabel. Yes you lost some "pull" with friction, but it is still more pull than a single. But I dont know a lot as I only use to use twin 35T winches for recovery work. I am also LANTRA qualified winch oparator. But I could be wrong.

Paul

Well, I always thought adding a snatch block gave me more pulling power?
It certainly seems like that when I'm tensioning up trees for felling.

Any articles or interesting reading on the subject?

I can send anyone pretty much anything they like with regard to load calculation, rigging, diagrams etc.

In fact leave it with me and I'll see if I can upload them to a server so anyone here can download them.

btw, see page 76 of the document "rigging.pdf" which details mechanical advantage (or rather lack of when double lining if you take the example of a vehicle in a typical double line scenario)

Not able to read doc on phone but then why would a hoist be rated at 5 ton single drop or ten ton 2 stoke 1 (a double line). This went for all hoists and cranes we load tested.
We are talking having to rope anchored to the point of pulling and not SD s means if changing the direction of pull?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Not knowing the circumstances or the specifics it's impossible to answer.

When you get near a computer have a read of the docs I posted.

My Ipad doesn't load the link wright.
It wants you or me to convert to Icloud. ;)

Since it's a bit frigid outside and TV is rather boring, well if possible I'd read through the entire document. A public access pdf and some munchies and you'll have made me a very happy chappy indeed.

Hey I can't do much more than upload it and make it public, the rest is with you :lol:

Link works fine on my macbook pro (when not signed in to mobile me)

Sorry for the offtopic posts.

Mines a 9.5ti from Warn, has pulled me out of the mud a few times.
Lightly loaded vehicle.

Anyone know what Toy fitted as standard?
You can put as large a winch on as possible, but at some point the chassis or the winch power supply becomes the weak point.

I'll give the link a whirl on the pc.
Thx Mike

As expected the PC didn't like the apple software, got a look at the files at least.

I'll have a better look with the Imac at the office in the morning.
Thx again!

Back