Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Whats this noise/whistling?

Rich42td

I have owned a 1997 Land Cruiser 80 Series (HDJ81) with the 24v 4.2 Diesel engine (1HDFT) for over a year now and it has always made a whistling noise when on moderate to hard throttle.

I had presumed this was normal turbo noise but it is now irritating my wife who thinks I should trade it in for a Mini Countryman!

I was wondering if this noise is normal or if not what could be the cause?

Could be over boosting, Or something simple like a split hose,/ Leak on the intake/ Compressor / Fault in the wastegate.... Many many Things

sounds like your running a bigger exhaust? it seems to shift too, and the intake heater element light is illuminated on the dash, intercooler?

it sounds like the turbo whistling to me.

All standard exhaust.

I disabled all EGR so boost signal goes straight to top of fuel pump diaphragm and vacuum to underside. I have yet to pull the EGR pins from the control module multiplug hence the glow light.
I reconnected boost pressure sensor and it doesn’t illuminate so likely not over-boosting?

So the noise isn’t normal then?

Without sounding daft Its not radio interference is it? defo coming from engine bay? doesnt sound turbo to me. you dont get the same noise on any vid as you do sat in the car imo.

Noise is there whether radio is on or off.
It does sound like it’s from engine bay, I appreciate its hard to hear in the video.

I will try and get another video in engine bay.

thank you all for your help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The over boost light is set at about 15 psi iirc.

my stock turbo whistles, sometimes more than others, it only became apparent after fitting a 3" exhaust and intercooler. hence the question.
in the video your 80 sounded a bit growly. hence the exhaust question! is there a exhaust leak towards the turbo?
the 1HD FT engine without an exhaust on whistles a merry old tune..

I just had a new downpipe fitted with new gaskets as the flexy joint disintegrated and I could defiantly hear the turbo whistle then, I liked the sound!

This noise is different and annoying and has always been there since I bought the car.

yeah i like the sound too. my mrs asked what the noise was, i told her thats what a proper engine sounded like. she has one of those near silent modern car things...

if you know what the turbo sounds like, it may be something else then.

it is hard listening to video audio.

I recorded another video under the bonnet stalling the TC in drive to load the engine.

noise does originate around turbo and all hoses appear intact and clamps tight.

Think I will pop the inlet hose off and check axial play of shaft next.
Chances are, the 24 year old turbo is just tired so I may fit a Melett CHRA cartridge.

To my ears there are Two distinctive sounds/whistles, At higher and lower pitches, Im guessing One is turbo fan itself, Check excessive play in shaft/bearings. Plus id check waste gate..... But is hard listening on Video...... One sounds like turbo another sounds like Air being sucked in/ or blown out under pressure

I had the same with mine. Turned out to be a faulty gasket on one of the EGR valves. It was acting like an instrument read but very loud. Quick whip off and silicone sealer cured it. In fact the EGR housing flange was dish shaped too so filed it flat to squeeze the gasket better.

Looking at the rear EGR valve it looks as though there is some wetness on the valve and also near the rocker cover. Can EGR valves leak?

C7676036-571C-4351-8DAF-FD587B6ADE11.jpeg

54DC58D5-B9F3-4461-A38B-95B3826AB466.jpeg

That rear flange is where mine was leaking and whistling. In the 2nd photo the rear one where the wet is I would check the gap where the gasket goes. That is where my noise was coming from. Thinking of it now, I had to file the ally manifold to get it flat rather than the egr itself. The damp looks like oil to me. First I would check the nuts to make sure they are tight.

Thanks, I think I will remove them all together and fit blanking plates, I can check then if there was a gap for curiosity sake.

I am preparing my self to fit a new turbo or cartridge exchange and might as well change the cam belt, water pump, stat while I’m in that area.

So I’m just putting together a parts list, is there available a Toyota parts catalogue so I can get all the part numbers ready.

Good idea to remove them. The top two holes suck of course and the lower one blows. Let me tell you it blows with some force too. I made a blanking plate and the pressure bent it. In the end I machined a top hat shaped blanking plug that I inserted into the pipe to seal it. Made a hell of a whistling when it leaked.

For parts you really need to be on something like TOYOdiy

Thanks, I have just used that to put together a list of parts required and got a quote from my local Toyota dealership.

£107 just for the exhaust manifold gaskets!
Is there anywhere else that sells genuine parts for a bit cheaper?

If you want them fast. Roughtrax.

If you don't mind waiting a little. Chapel gate.

I won’t be able to test for play in the turbo till after the weekend but tonight I had a quick look and it appears that the forward EGR valve has more soot build up under the diaphragm compared with the rearward EGR valve.

Perhaps this is causing the strange noise?
Definitely blank both valve off before committing to replacing a turbo.

A1E2E575-8F4C-48FD-9285-959247C12BCD.jpeg
6613F3F6-E320-484E-8D22-7D89BFD34CFC.jpeg

unless its had a really hard life the turbo should be fine, ive done twice the miles you have on the original ct 26.

Back