Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's your thoughts on this bit of recovery work then?

Still waiting with a shudder ... just waiting for that tow ball to snap off and hurt/break someone.

Yep that was my thought as well Grant, thought the Disco driver wasn't doing himself any favours either by digging himself in all the time.

That's a very familiar sight to me is that, I've recovered a few from that very hole and watched many being recovered from it :icon-smile:

My biggest thought watching that is OMG he's going to have some cleaning up to do, I hope all of his breathers are correctly fitted :laughing-rolling:

I'll let someone else comment on the technique :shifty:

I'm surprised theres any sand left in Lincomb from the amount that you have recovered from Swampy!! lol ;-)

Same hole :icon-biggrin: Not sure what Tony's put in it, but all I've seen get through was Ian's Uni-Mog Oh and that 70 :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_6780_zps6bbb0272.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That was scary to watch!

1) Tow ball! Nonononononononoooooo! :(
2) Only 5 snatches on a kinetic rope before you have to rest it as it will have stretched too much
3) People standing in the line of the rope
4) Pulling in wrong direction (though having been there it is a difficult angle to get the correct line)
5) Muppet + LameRover... need I say more :p

Oh and Id like to point out the the year Ben's mate got stuck in there for ages in his HiLux I drove straight through it with no problems on the Sunday afternoon after the challenge was finished! :D I did tell Ben but I think he kept it quiet, I do have 2 Scouts as witnesses ;). It has been dug out more since then though and there are few vehicles that can get through it now as it requires serious axle clearance.

If I'd have been the Tearano driver, I'd have given the Disco driver a slap!

Surprised at the BFG's though, they didn't seem to have any effect.

It was the blind leading the blind as far as I'm concerned, plus the real hazard of the snatch from a tow-ball.

I was glad when the clip was over! :lol:

Plonker (s) , or are they just plain daft.

tried adding a comment on u toon but all I got was an error

I'm no off roader, at least not on 4 wheels anyway, but that's asking a bit much for a set of AT's IMO. Deep wet mud plus the fact the driver is just sitting there with his foot on the gas, spinning the wheels and digging them in even further?

would help if he pulled the disco in the correct direction. dont like the tow ball pull but if needs must i suppose.

never heard the one about resting a rope before.

stu

If its a kinetic energy rope it generates heat during the pull, so after a few pulls it needs chance to dissipate the heat.

I cant tell if its a kinetic energy rope, or a rope being used for a 'snatch' type recovery.

Pete

looks like a kinetic rope, looking at the stretch. needed a winch!!
why do people do kinetic first when they have a winch?

It's only a matter of time until someone gets killed at a pay and play with a kinetic rope. I'm afraid to say the majority of people at pay and plays are halfwits.

that's why the military only allow kinetic recovery on armoured vehicles!

The Blind leading The Blind equipped with land rovers OMG

One of the courses I instruct on is overhead gantry and rigging, the whole ethos of the training is safety, including checking the kit.

I then regularly see people using lifting straps and chains that are in poor condition for vehicle recoveries.

I wonder who first thought of selling KERRs to the offroad community?

Pete

OK i'm a complete novice at 4x4 off roading and i see this as a chance to learn something . There has been lots of criticism for those in the vid but very little of it constructive . Please note i agree with the criticism there wasn't an ounze of thought put into the recovery attempt in the vid .

I will probably get shot down in flames for this but if me and a mate were in the same situation i would have told him (assuming it was him that was stuck) to put it in neutral , then doubled the strap to make it much shorter , engaged all my lockers and tried to pull him out slowly in the same direction he went in .

Who wants to point out my errors :icon-neutral:

Back