Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel Alignment caster etc

Shayne

Guru
Typically seized rock solid i couldn't even shift it with a 2ft socket bar i just know i will snap the bolt . The plan is to cut the nut off with a grinder and just hammer the bush and bolt out . Question is does anyone sell a replacement kit including a bolt ?

P9050298.jpg

Last edited:
Milners did have them but last time I looked they were out of stock. Motor factors for bush and mr t for the bolts?

Mick

Shayne, do be carefull with them. It is a real pitta of a job to replace those bush's and unless shagged I'd leave well alone! On both Swampy and Fiery I had no trouble freeing them off after drowning them with PlusGas twice a day for a couple of weeks. Also they don't undo as you'd expect them to and each time I've taken either of mine in to be done the technician has struggled untill a few of them get together and sus it. I can't remember if they are reverse thread or the one that you expect to undo is Infact solid. You have to undo one (possibly reverse thread) to release the one that is then used to turn the bush. I would put an old washing up bowl under each wishbone before giving them a realy good spray each morning and evening for a couple of weeks :))

Thanks Chadr and thanks for the heads up Steven that would explain a lot , the alignment needs doing coz i can see me only getting half life from my tyres due to uneven wear , am i right to assume then that providing i can work out how to release the nut then swapping the bushes and bolts should be easy .

There's the answer right there in the replacement part Chadr found the adjust plate and bolt are actually one part so can't be turned . They must be undone from the rear but the thread is normal .

media.php

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you end up replacing bushes can you take lots of pictures please :) Have seen a few people refer to what a pig of a job this is, but can't find a nice write up on a successful job. Pretty sure mine are starting to get worn on my 120 and those bits are pretty much identical.

Be interested in people's thoughts about poly bushes here. I'm fairly certain they cause suspension arms to snap by having no lateral movement. Not sure if they need to deal with those forces in a wishbone? If polybushes are a bad idea here I'd be inclined to shell out for new wishbones with balljoints and bushes already in. Not a lot more money for full OEM replacements.

Thanks. I think that's the thread I looked at previously. Still not quite visualising what to cut if cuts are needed. The clunk when stopping or turning hard right are exactly what I have though. I did give these a good checking over with a wrecking bar a couple of weeks ago and couldnt feel any play. Be interested to know if anyone has successfully diagnosed these were at fault before tackling the job, and how?

I found a broken top arm on the rear axle when I was checking previously, but having replaced it I'm not convinced that was contributing to the noise at all.

From that previous thread looks like the axle arm trick of burning out the rubber and cutting the metal sleeve works, although I'm still thinking new wishbones are the way to given my broken suspension arm 3 months after replacing bushes with poly.

Shayne, if your tyres are wearing unevenly could it not be the toe in/out? I thought the only thing those bushes deal with is the camber, of which can also wear the tyre too (on the inside) but I've never had this problem and I'm running quite a large offset.

I'm already thinking maybe i should buy this http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1015&vid=1727 and the new bolts and new steering rack and trailing arm bushes and lower ball joints and take my truck to a garage :icon-cry: or alternatively perhaps i could buy a spare truck in case this one breaks for a similar price :shock:

Shayne, if your tyres are wearing unevenly could it not be the toe in/out? I thought the only thing those bushes deal with is the camber, of which can also wear the tyre too (on the inside) but I've never had this problem and I'm running quite a large offset.

Beau its the positive camber of my offside front wheel that concerns me most but i don't like the idea of running such heavy rubber when the alignment centre said sorry mate we got no chance of setting that up - though they were kind enough to say it's not bad at all as is .

A Draper 10 tonne hydraulic press near me sold on ebay just recently for £107 :think:

A Draper 10 tonne hydraulic press near me sold on ebay just recently for £107 :think:

Shayne. What are you thinking of using that for? I've got a Clarke one. It's good for pushing stuff back in. Have had less success with it pushing stuff out. I'm about 20 miles from you. If you ever want to borrow it to see how useful it might or might not be, you're very welcome.

Hi Rob must admit i've never used a press but having read all the comments about how difficult it is to remove the bushes it seems pretty unanimous that the best thing to do is remove the entire wishbone and take it to a garage . So i asked myself what does a garage have that most of us don't - surely the answer is a press ?

Shayne, if you're interested I have a complete Reconditioned steering rack for sale with good Mountings. I also have a set of polly bush mountings as well (imported from the US).

Hi Rob must admit i've never used a press but having read all the comments about how difficult it is to remove the bushes it seems pretty unanimous that the best thing to do is remove the entire wishbone and take it to a garage . So i asked myself what does a garage have that most of us don't - surely the answer is a press ?

A press, but probably something a lot meatier than a 10 ton press. More likely 30 ton or more. I'm pretty you can burn and cut out the wishbone bushes, which is what I do with rear axle arm bushes because my 10 ton press wont budge them. Takes under 10 minutes a bush if you have a reciprocating saw.

My 10 tone press from machine mart pushed out every single bush on my 80, of they were not moving with about 7 tons of pressure, I gave them a whack on the side whilst under pressure and they then moved, once they start moving they keep going!
some of them did free off with heck of a bang though!!!

andy

A press, but probably something a lot meatier than a 10 ton press. More likely 30 ton or more. I'm pretty you can burn and cut out the wishbone bushes, which is what I do with rear axle arm bushes because my 10 ton press wont budge them. Takes under 10 minutes a bush if you have a reciprocating saw.

That's exactly how we used to get the wishbone bushes off the old Renault espaces, much quicker than pressing them off. bit smelly when you've got the torch going on the bush though :icon-biggrin:

Shayne, if you're interested I have a complete Reconditioned steering rack for sale with good Mountings. I also have a set of polly bush mountings as well (imported from the US).

Not sure why you might think i need a steering rack Beau ?

Back