Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I've been reliably informed that this stuff is like gold for wheel bearings:

Sovereign Lubes Omega 57

Anyone used it or have any comments / observations on it?

Cheers

EDIT: Just been told it USED to be - apparently formula has changed, or Rumpelstiltskin has stopped saying whatever it was, or the Pixies went away, or something ....

Perhaps they couldn't source the Unicorn tears anymore ;)

Gary. I think you've got a 120? Do you have plans to change or replenish bearing grease? Do you know the procedure for this. Having change a bearing a few months back I can't see how to do this without removing the hub. Which seems like quite a faff for a service operation.

After hearing Crispin's pain today I'm more interested in finding out what, of anything, can be done to look after these easily !

On sealed bearings you stuck with the grease you get from the manufacturer, on the 80 you change the grease every 30k miles (or a lot more often if your name is Chris or Rob) with the cheap stuff and they seem to last quite well. No need to worry about it then Gary, if I were you I would look into your air con issues :whistle:

I just have a tub marked 'Wheel bearing grease' on it. Don't think it's won any awards or anything. Pretty sure it's for greasing wheel bearings.

Oh hang on - it says "Does not contain Unicorn tears" Ahh there you go then. It's just grease.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The bearings on a 120 aren't sealed by anything more than regular rotary shaft oil seals. Which in practice means the seals get a bit of grit in the, deteriorate and then all sorts gets in. But you can't get grease in without pulling the hub out. Which means almost removing the steering knuckle.

Front bearings are not really re-greasable. They have a seal either side to supposedly seal the bearing from water and muck, which, for the most part, they do. It's a factory built assembly with nothing to regrease. If it fails replace. More a PITA than technicaly difficult to do.

Back